Breathing

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Breathing

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Is loss of breath capacity something that just happens as you get older, or is there anything you can do to prevent it.

Specifically, does anyone know of any web sites or exercises that might help regain, or at least retain, breath function?
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
squidgirl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Breathing

Post by squidgirl »

Google "breath builder".

It was recommended to me by a professional flutist as something she recomments to her students, to help them improve their lung capacity. I got one, and my roommate says it's similar in design & principle to the device that she was given in the hospital after chest surgery, for the same purpose. I got it because I was a smoker for years and that really did a number on my lungs.

I should get mine back out, actually. I put it away during some pre-houseguest cleanup hysteria (ack, Mom coming to visit!! must appear clivilized!), and hadn't unpacked it yet.

There are also some good web sites out there with breathing exercises. Unfortunately i lost that bookmarks file when my last computer died. Anyone else have links to them?
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

breathing capacity usually declines rapidly at death. I got one of those breathing contraptions after my heart surgery. It worked. I also got a harmonica after my heart surgery. That'll build up lung capacity like nobody's business. It's way more fun. Plus, you learn one more instrument. There are free lessons on line and a cheap harmonica costs $5 at your local guitar store. A person can judge their breathing capabilities by how long they can hold those notes. The basics of a harmonica can be figured out in one hour. Keep one in your pocket, car, and whereever.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

mutepointe wrote:breathing capacity usually declines rapidly at death.
This is a point not to be overlooked. :wink: I recall the story of a very old gentlemen being asked how he lived so long. "Keep breathing."
Keith
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

mutepointe wrote:breathing capacity usually declines rapidly at death.
There is also a marked tendency to switch to playing instruments with many strings. Do you think the two are linked?
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Yes, and fingernails keep growing after death, so plucking is (super)natural.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

My favourite breathing exercise is to take a deep breath and exhale slowly whilst saying "pint of bitter" as many times as possible. Caution: don't try this exercise in a pub.
Tikva

Post by Tikva »

Actually playing a wind instrument is the perfect breathing exercice in and out of itself.

During normal respiration, inspiration is actively caused by contraction of the diaphragm, while expiration is mostly a passive act following the relaxation of the muscles. When the pressure in the lungs surpasses the pressure in our surroundings, the air is being exhaled.

With age, the elasticity or compliance of the body's different tissues lessens. Respiration becomes more shallow and especially when lying on our backs, the alveoli (smallest parts of the lung where the actual gas exchange takes place) in bottom parts of the lung collapse. This is called atelectasis.

When you take up your whistle or any other wind instrument, you immitate what people suffering from a chronic pulmonary disease often do to ameliorate their breathing: you augment the resistance of your airways. This means that you have to exhale against a higher pressure than normal.

You can feel your body's reaction to this augmented resistance: Exspiration is now an active action, for the diaphragm and various other muscles contract to press out the air from your lungs. -> Muscle training

Then there's the positive pressure issue. During normal expiration, the pressure in your lungs lessens quite a bit to the point where some of the alveoli collapse. When playing the wind instrument, you still have a positive pressure in your lungs at the end of exspiration (PEEP). This helps to open up the collapsed alveoli and helps to keep them open.

In the end, there's only one thing to be said: If you feel your breathing is getting shorter for no apparent reason and you feel less fit, do consult a physician!

Tikva
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Stop it at once!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

jemtheflute wrote:Stop it at once!
Don't you listen to him! Just you go on breathing as much as you want!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

***GASP***

wow....that was close
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

But you're steaming up the windows! D'you want us to crash and die?
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

jemtheflute wrote:But you're steaming up the windows! D'you want us to crash and die?
Pint of bitter, pint of bitter, pint of bitter...
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Long walks, bicycle rides, lap swimming and other aerobic activity
are a good way to preserve breath function as one gets older.
Denny

Post by Denny »

:lol: the switchbacks up to White Pass (the white pass just south of Glacier Peak)
or the trail to Blanca Lake