Ravine Cats and small business ideas

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Ravine Cats and small business ideas

Post by kkrell »

I have been a caretaker to a feral colony of about 25-40 cats (yes, neutered, see the ear tips) for 6.5 years. While local animal rescue organizations have given some help in the past, they're suffering from lack of funds lately, and are having to deal with a continuous barrage of problems from a surplus of kittens, unadopted foster cats, abandoned animals (due to foreclosures), and taking in animals from hoarders, etc.

I would like to provide for the future welfare of my "ravine cats" by starting a small business with profits (?) set aside to cover potential medical care as they age, meds (flea & mange/mite treatments), food, and in case of disasters (dog attacks, eventual relocation due to transit construction).

Don't think I'd want to run another non-profit corporation for this, so this would not be a situation in which I could accept tax-deductible donations. Donations, sure, if that could happen, but no tax benefit to the contributor.

Instead, as I have some skills and experience in small business, shipping fulfillment, etc., I would like to operate a business with the above stated goals in mind. The problem is, finding or creating products that I could sell in various on-line venues to accomplish this. Items need not necessarily be cat-related, but would be for their benefit. Cute graphics? T-shirts? Cat toys? Not sure how I could combine my interests of cats, music, barbecue, and chocolate (and not sure I'd care for some of the suggestions I'd anticipate with that combination). I'm thinking some kind of lichen might be profitable...... but I'm opening this up to all of you for ideas.

Thanks,

Kevin Krell
emmline

Re: Ravine Cats and small business ideas

Post by emmline »

They're all beauties, but #2 down is extraordinary.
I'm hopeless at enterprise I'm sorry to say. But maybe a blog that features one feline for each entry, with associated
t-shirts or other printed flotsam?
I do wish you well in your kitty care.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

If you've got any friends who are into photography you could get some good closeups of cat faces to make into greeting cards etc. Several cat charities in the UK have shops on their sites, though I don't know how many sales they get:

http://www.cats.org.uk/shop/index.asp
http://www.battersea.org.uk/get_involve ... index.html

For venues you could look at cafepress.com or, if you end up doing handmade stuff, etsy.com .

Have you got a website for your current cat-related work?
dwest

Post by dwest »

kkrell wrote: Not sure how I could combine my interests of cats, barbecue, and chocolate
Cat barbecue, Cow And Turkey. The fella above is the spitting image of one of our fellas back in the '70s, the "Grey Mouser" right down to the socks.
harpmaker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by harpmaker »

Barbecue...that usually works out OK, but dipping them in chocolate doesn't improve the taste and just make 'em cranky

OK, kidding aside, what you need is exposure. Have you talked to a local paper or news organization? You could schedule an "event" such as a fund raising barbecue with the cats as featured guests (Just keep them off the menu) and invite the media along with every friend, neighbor, and guy off the street. You may come across as "the crazy cat person" but you may also get some donations too.
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Kevin, I'll be glad to contribute some sort of graphic for use on T-shirts and the like. Can't promise it quick, but can promise it.

You can set up a CafePress account that is specifically for your enterprise, and make a bit there. Publicity, best by word of keyboard and mouth, is key. An ongoing entry, as someone else suggested, with features and stories related to particular kittiepersons is good.

Good luck in your endeavor!!!!!!!!!!
Sarah/annie
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Ideas don't need to be restricted to traditional fund-raising types of items (which have an element of begging about them). Otherwise, I could plagarize "Feed the Children".
Sponsor a Cat. Cat sponsorship allows you to personally connect with a cat in need while making a lasting investment in his/her future. Your donation also strengthens your cat’s local community, ensuring an extended network of support and a safe environment in which your cat can thrive.

You will receive a photo and personal profile of the cat you are sponsoring, updates on his/her wellbeing, and notes, drawings or correspondence from your cat, at least twice a year.* You will also have the opportunity to send notes and small gifts to your cat.
I'd rather go with products that people actually buy because they want and/or use them. So, an example might be a great food supplement, or household cleaning product that people or cats should have, or I could package & license music tracks that folks would want assembled, etc.

I would be willing to make an investment risk in manufacturing, labeling or warehousing items that had a chance at an eventual return. I figure that's something most organizations aren't geared up to do. So, instead of CafePress, which seems expensive for items, items could possibly be made up and priced more attractively.

I suppose I could re-issue my original (1978) "Cheesecake Cookbook" with its later revisions as a downloadable e-book (.PDF), as a premium. It's all typed up, but not laid out attractively. I have Adobe Indesign (back as v.2) but don't yet have the basic expertise.

Sarah, if you wouldn't mind, I would certainly be happy to view any graphics or rough designs that might be ideas towards a product, logo or web page graphic.

Kevin Krell
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

kkrell wrote:... or household cleaning product that people or cats should have, ...
Nature's Miracle. Maybe they'd be willing to sponsor you or partner with you in some fashion.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dwest

Post by dwest »

kkrell wrote: I suppose I could re-issue my original (1978) "Cheesecake Cookbook" with its later revisions as a downloadable e-book (.PDF), as a premium. It's all typed up, but not laid out attractively. I have Adobe Indesign (back as v.2) but don't yet have the basic expertise.
Just remember most cats are lactose intolerant, they really shouldn't be making cheese cakes.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

kkrell wrote:...a household cleaning product that people or cats should have...
Good idea. People with cats should have EVERY household cleaning product!

Anyway, I like the thrid one down. Does it catch mice? If so, can I have it? You could just drop it by next time you're passing through Wyoming.
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

WyoBadger wrote:
kkrell wrote:...a household cleaning product that people or cats should have...
Good idea. People with cats should have EVERY household cleaning product!

Anyway, I like the thrid one down. Does it catch mice? If so, can I have it? You could just drop it by next time you're passing through Wyoming.
The long-hair grey & white? He's about 5 years old, and a real sweetie, who would rather be petted than fed. Bit of a ride to Wyoming, plus the home inspection.

These cats were mostly feral, except for a few dumpees, but most are now tamed. Of course, as its typical with sem-ferals, most don't care to be picked up, but there are a few lap cats among them. There are so many cats that the rescuers pull from shelters to find homes for, that there isn't much chance for these guys. Particularly as there seems to be prejudice against the black cats. Most of the colony is short-hair black cats, 4 long-hair blacks, 4 SH grey, a tabby Maine Coon, two Birman, a SH tuxedo, the LH Tuxedo, and 2 grey/white.

Kevin
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I'd take them all* if I could. When I was little I always wanted to be the crazy cat lady.

* by "all" I mean a responsible amount for my space and circumstances. I know hoarding isn't good for cats.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

avanutria wrote:I'd take them all* if I could. When I was little I always wanted to be the crazy cat lady.

* by "all" I mean a responsible amount for my space and circumstances. I know hoarding isn't good for cats.
Ah, it's a challenge every time I buy food at the pet store. They have a space for adoptions.

Anyway, these ravine cats are pretty well cared for, and on the whole seem happy where they are. The main thing had been to stop the flow of kittens. There are still risks from dogs off-leash, nasty people, and sometimes a coyote or raccoon. But they have their strategies for coping. Since this is California, the cats don't suffer from any great extremes of weather, and have places to shelter when it rains.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

kkrell wrote:Particularly as there seems to be prejudice against the black cats. Most of the colony is short-hair black cats...
You might be seeing Darwinian selection on both ends--lighter cats get adopted more often, and blacker cats escape the coyotes more often.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

OK, I've registered a domain, have hosting, and am working on designing a website for the cats. That's going to take me awhile to upgrade my skills in that dept. Gathering images, clip art, and resource/product links. Issues of operating a website store to then follow. I have to admit that California has a horrible business environment (lots of forms, licenses, taxes, etc.).

This is our Chief Executive Officer:

Likely products to include cat toys, treats, and ? depending on wholesale availability. There are a lot of interesting items out there not necessarily carried by your local pet store, plus certain favorites that might get me some action once everyone takes pity on these poor little pusses.

Kevin Krell