Computer help please

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Computer help please

Post by FJohnSharp »

I have a hard drive that is extremely full and I cannot figure out what's taking up so much space. It's a 40 gb hard drive with 500 mb free. We took off most of the music and pictures and there's very little on there. All I'm asking right here is, how do I see where all the space is being used? IOW without right clicking on every folder and file, is there some sort of utility that give a list or a summary or something?

And thanks in advance.
Last edited by FJohnSharp on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny

Re: Computer help pelase

Post by Denny »

from Teaching an adult basic computer skills?
Innocent Bystander wrote:SequoiaView

Here is something you might find useful. It's a program developed by a University in Netherlands, which tells you in a pretty little diagram, where all the space went on your computer. I used it just this morning to locate some music files.
MTGuru

Re: Computer help please

Post by MTGuru »

And here's another very useful tool:

TreeSize (freeware): http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

This lets you see the occupied space under each top level directory tree, then dig down from there. In some cases, this may be easier than Sequoia's graphical approach.

Things like Windows swap files and e-mail databases can take up a surprising amount of space.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I just started using ExplorerXP, see http://www.explorerxp.com/
which is a XP file manager, and free.
Hidden directories are shown, plus the sizes of directories,
and does a lot of nice things,
like showing folders in tabbed view (the reson i started using it),
or side by side, or tiled vertically, for easy drag dropping.
Also possible are wildcard file selection and file rename,
favourite folder groups,
and more stuff.

The 'System Volume Information' folder can be really big with restore point files being kept.
ExplorerXP lets you delete these easily, which Windows Explorer often refuses to do.

PS: do empty the recycle bin if you haven't yet, to free up space.

~Hans
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

If you are sure you have deleted (and not just "marked for deletion" the files you want to get rid of) it's probably a good time to defrag your disk.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Re: Computer help pelase

Post by FJohnSharp »

Denny wrote:from Teaching an adult basic computer skills?
Innocent Bystander wrote:SequoiaView

Here is something you might find useful. It's a program developed by a University in Netherlands, which tells you in a pretty little diagram, where all the space went on your computer. I used it just this morning to locate some music files.
This is the coolest thing!
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

Thanks all. I'll try the other stuff tomorrow.

This is a great place!!
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

Oh god i just changed sequoia to color. Wow!

I'm a cheap date.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Oooh! Pretty boxes!!

Charlene

Post by Charlene »

OK, so once you run Sequoia and see the pretty quilt blocks all in color, how do you delete things? Do you have to go through Windows Explorer? Is it safe to delete all the files relating to Norton Anti Virus if I'm no longer using that program? (I started to but got nervous about the warning message that appeared.)
Charlene
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Charlene wrote:how do you delete things? Do you have to go through Windows Explorer?
Yes! The Sequoia site says explicitly that there's no deletion, in order to prevent accidents. You can choose Explore from the right click menus, and delete from there.
Is it safe to delete all the files relating to Norton Anti Virus if I'm no longer using that program? (I started to but got nervous about the warning message that appeared.)
To delete something like NAV you really need run the unistaller first. Also check the Symantec site for a more thorough uninstall/cleanup app. If you just start deleting files manually, you're asking for trouble.

I found that Norton stuff hooks all sorts of crap into your system, and is notoriously difficult to uninstall. One of the reasons I stopped using it.

Good luck!

Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

These look pretty cool. I'll try the quilty one.

I'm using Vista 32 bit and I'm not sure the explorerXP will work right.
It took me a long time to find out a lot of my "missing" space is being taken up with search indexes.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

In default mode XP and likely vista both hide system files from you, the user and owner of said computer. This can make figuring out what's using up the space hard to accomplish.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Yes. By default they hide all of that. I always turn it on. With Vista I discovered you can go folder by folder and add up all the space and still not find what's using it up. I'm not sure what file the indexing is stored in but that was the culprit.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I've done a new system installation, with XP service pack 1, then installed various updates, then service pack 2, and later SP 3. Then I found the restore points used about 4 Gb space, under System Volume Information on the system drive!

~Hans