Poll Requested by Mutepointe

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Who has most complimented you on your whistling?

Men
39%
Women
39%
Pets
10%
Other
13%

Total votes: 31

riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Poll Requested by Mutepointe

Post by riverman »

If you have been tuned in, you know that Mutepointe has suggested a poll to see if whistles only sound good to women, and are therefore un-macho (my heartrending question). If you wrote "other," please explain your answer (Possible examples: "older women only," "older men," "dogs only," "everyone loves my sound," "cats attack me").
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
rosehebrew

Re: Poll Requested by Mutepointe

Post by rosehebrew »

I had to put my two cents in on this poll. My toy rat terrier that is always by my side is greatly disturbed when I pick up my whistle, off to bed she goes. It is a little hard on my ego but I am learning to deal with it. My hubby does not care for my whistle either (it does not cost enough and it isn't a piano or guitar) but I can live with that, it is my dog that has broken my heart. I did play an intro to a praise medley in church a few weeks ago and did get one comment from a person who said they loved the recorder part. Ouch, there goes the ego again. :lol:
The musicians that didn't know music could play the best blues. I know that I don't want no musicians who know all about music playin' for me. Alberta Hunter
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

So far, it's been about 50-50.
So I picked "Other".
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

7 days and counting.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

More compliments from women, definitely.

And then I think... yes, but do you recall any from men? Yes I do. But more from women.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

Believe it or not, but more men have. :o
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

i've been threatened, but never complimented. should i still respond?

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I think it depends.
I voted men because local men are more likely to enjoy whistle playing and traditional music.

However, if you want to impress a woman from another country (i.e. the tourists) there is nothing cuter than whipping out your whistle and giving it a tootle.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Women.

Totally.

Thought it was me smashin' good looks...

(Of course, I'm more apt to be playing a tender air than a banging foot-stomper. That's probably it. And feel more at home in a meadow, than a pub. Yep.)
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I voted women but it has actually been almost 50 50. I don't care who it was I will just take the compliment for my mediocre playing.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

GordonH wrote:...However, if you want to impress a woman from another country (i.e. the tourists) there is nothing cuter than whipping out your whistle...

You can get arrested for that you know... :D

My two very young daughters love my whistle playing with the oldest either humming along or going for her toy guitar or a whistle to play along. One of my many bosses of the female (and very good looking) persuasion caught me "whipping out my whistle and playing with it" at work the other day. I'm not good with audiences, especially ones that can sack me for doing something other than work. What I got was compliments and a request for more. She was back today to listen to me play the Low D. I have also had a mixed audience of mostly women listening to me play while I had my back turned. Both the men and the women complimented me. By and large though it seems men are less free with the compliments for no other reason than it would seem un-manly, I think.

Mick
Last edited by Mick Down Under on Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Mick Down Under wrote:
GordonH wrote:...However, if you want to impress a woman from another country (i.e. the tourists) there is nothing cuter than whipping out your whistle...

You can get arrested for that you know... :D

Mick
I am not going to mention kilts or sporrans at this point, although its very tempting.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Well, since my cat runs away whenever I pick up the whistles, this one is out. Other. Well, besides usual voices in my head, nothing.

And to matter of men/women - I'd say it depends. I usually get good comments from men, I think, but of course, if I want to impress a girl, it works as well. It's a matter of tune choice, I'd say.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I think the simpleness of the design has a sexist factor to it. Now if we could attach a motor and a mechanism to transform the whistle into a golfer's putter and if there was a Nike swoosh emblazoned on the side. And if we could make the thing bigger than a tuba and collapsible so it fit in a pocket and made it cost more than it should, men would be all over it.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Whistler Bard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Whistler Bard »

I voted "other" because only one person really listened to me playing. My girlfriend, and she liked it...but well, she's my girlfriend! :P My cat...it depends, sometimes he doesn't care, but most of the times he starts meowing like he s suffering...but I bet it's something not to do with my playing! heheheh