The shape of the package

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The shape of the package

Post by peeplj »

So tell me...why do people spend so much time worrying about the shape of the package, when so often it turns out that the package was empty anyway? :wink:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Congratulations

Re: The shape of the package

Post by Congratulations »

I am uncomfortable with this thread.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

peeplj wrote:So tell me...why do people spend so much time worrying about the shape of the package, when so often it turns out that the package was empty anyway? :wink:

--James
Because, if they're like my wife, they usually have more fun playing with the empty container than they do the contents. (When she was a kid, she'd open a Christmas present, take out the toy inside, then play with the box.) Therefore, the shape of the package is important. :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Some people like big packages, and other people like tiny boxes.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

jsluder wrote: Because, if they're like my wife, they usually have more fun playing with the empty container than they do the contents. (When she was a kid, she'd open a Christmas present, take out the toy inside, then play with the box.) Therefore, the shape of the package is important. :)
It's funny...I've often thought it would be far cheaper to just get cardboard boxes and distribute them to the Izzlets for Christmas for this very reason. No matter what's inside the darn box, they seem to like the box itself far more :P

I tend to think James' post was a bit more philosophical, though ;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

Perhaps peeplj could tell us what is wrong with the shape of his empty package so that we could add greater depth to the comments.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

izzarina wrote:I tend to think James' post was a bit more philosophical, though ;)
Quite.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dwest

Post by dwest »

I like to put my own stuff in my packages, if it's empty so much the better. But my stuff will look nicer if the package is well made and attractive.
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

peeplj wrote:So tell me...why do people spend so much time worrying about the shape of the package, when so often it turns out that the package was empty anyway? :wink:

--James
expectation..challenge..anticipation...stealth...mystery...lust...all of which was so important to our paleolithic selves, ingrained in our iceage ancestors dna and it sunk down sooo deeply over generation after generation to become a part of our shameful id which should be repressed at all costs, so much so that to day these cravings are so conscipted, little used, wanted, or exercised by many of us that the mere notion of having to guess what's inside sets off all these little ancient pavlovian bells inside our little inner neander-poodle that we salivate uncontrollably, (in a metaphysical sense) and suddenly starshiptrooper from yes begins to play in our minds and we just have to know...what's in that box that could be that shape?
:boggle:

as to it being empty afterall, well that's just the way the poodle crumbles, no?
Last edited by CHasR on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

CHasR wrote:

--James
expectation..challenge..anticipation...stealth...mystery...lust...all of which was so important to our paleolithic selves, ingrained in our iceage ancestors dna and it sunk down sooo deeply over generation after generation to become a part of our shameful id which should be repressed at all costs, so much so that to day these cravings are so conscipted, little used, wanted, or exercised by many of us that the mere notion of having to guess what's inside sets off all these little ancient pavlovian bells inside our little inner neander-poodle that we salivate uncontrollably, (in a metaphysical sense) and suddenly starshiptrooper from yes begins to play in our minds and we just have to know...what's in that box that could be that shape?
Dude. You're having a flashback. Sit down...relax...ride it out...here, have some tea. Things are cool.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

Congratulations wrote:I am uncomfortable with this thread.
I am so there.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Nanohedron wrote:
CHasR wrote:

--James
Dude. You're having a flashback. Sit down...relax...ride it out...here, have some tea. Things are cool.
i knew i could count on you nano
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Can you tell I've done this before? :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dwest

Post by dwest »

CHasR wrote: our little inner neander-poodle
I have never read anything more disgusting on this forum, poodle indeed! Very disturbing.
missy

Post by missy »

izzarina wrote:
jsluder wrote: Because, if they're like my wife, they usually have more fun playing with the empty container than they do the contents. (When she was a kid, she'd open a Christmas present, take out the toy inside, then play with the box.) Therefore, the shape of the package is important. :)
It's funny...I've often thought it would be far cheaper to just get cardboard boxes and distribute them to the Izzlets for Christmas for this very reason. No matter what's inside the darn box, they seem to like the box itself far more :P

I tend to think James' post was a bit more philosophical, though ;)
I've often wondered why I bought toys over the years.

Boxes, tape and rope. Throw in a dirt pile and my kids were in heaven.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com