The Cool Poll

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Is Whistling Cool?

Yes
67%
No
16%
Maybe (please explain)
6%
Other (please explain)
10%

Total votes: 49

FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Re: The Cool Poll

Post by FJohnSharp »

Liam wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:Cooler than not whistling.
Less cool than pipes or fiddle.
Cooler than French horn or triangle.
Less cool than piano or sax.
Cooler than opera.
Less cool than sean nos.
No offense.. but nonsense. Each of the above can be and indeed is cool. Each is what it is regardless of what other people think and to me that makes each infinitely cool in their own way. Mary Bergin, Micho Russell and all the other great Whistle players give up nothing to the many other fine and gifted musicians who play other instruments in the tradition. I will grant that there is something special about Sean Nos... but that doesn't necessarily make it cooler... just a special part of Irish Tradition.

--
Bill

Wow.

Just pulled all that outta my arse. For fun. Like the intent of the thread.
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

FJohnSharp wrote: Wow.

Just pulled all that outta my arse. For fun. Like the intent of the thread.
Hey! Get your fun outta my cool!

.. wait.. no..

:)
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Mick Down Under wrote:Peace won't reign. Humankind being the sort of animal they are, would most certainly just use a hefty low whistle to beat another persons brains out, IF, they are inclined to perform brutal acts. The old saying, Guns don't kill, people do...Ploughs can be turned back into knives and swords with relatively little work too. :poke:

Mick
Right you are, Mick! Whistle can be dangerous weapons in their own right. I have this lovely brown Overton Low D that would be a fearsome weapon, although some might say my playing already makes it pretty appalling.

When you think of it, though, if you had a big enough drill a .410 shotgun barrel might make a pretty good, albeit pretty heavy, whistle.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

Nah, whistling isn't cool; that's old school.

Whistling is definitely HOT!! :D
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
riverman

Post by riverman »

OK, Mutepointe, I voted "other" so I am obligated to explain my vote:

Whistling is extremely cool--among women.

Whenever I whistle where people are, I receive tons of gratitude and compliments from women, but none from men (except once when I played a Gen Bb, one guy loved it-- "Nice and mellow; I could listen to it all day.")

For some reason, men pass it right by, either because they think it's sissy to give compliments, or because they hate it. A few have come to me to express their dislike.

Is the whistle un-macho??

Please help.
Signed, Disturbed in Indiana
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Whistler Bard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Whistler Bard »

riverman wrote:For some reason, men pass it right by, either because they think it's sissy to give compliments, or because they hate it. A few have come to me to express their dislike.
Hmmmm, maybe because all the women were turning their attention to you??? ;) Heheheheh
riverman

Post by riverman »

Whistler Bard wrote:
riverman wrote:For some reason, men pass it right by, either because they think it's sissy to give compliments, or because they hate it. A few have come to me to express their dislike.
Hmmmm, maybe because all the women were turning their attention to you??? ;) Heheheheh
Whistler Bard, did you look at my avatar?

...but, thanks for the attempt! :lol:
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Whistler Bard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Whistler Bard »

Talking about avatars, did you see mine? Totally made in honour of this thread! The sun-glasses, the hat, and the cheesy image-background edition to look cooler :P

Ahhh and the totally insane look!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

riverman wrote:OK, Mutepointe, I voted "other" so I am obligated to explain my vote:

Whistling is extremely cool--among women.

Whenever I whistle where people are, I receive tons of gratitude and compliments from women, but none from men (except once when I played a Gen Bb, one guy loved it-- "Nice and mellow; I could listen to it all day.")

For some reason, men pass it right by, either because they think it's sissy to give compliments, or because they hate it. A few have come to me to express their dislike.

Is the whistle un-macho??

Please help.
Signed, Disturbed in Indiana
I'll quit mocking you for a week if you start a thread with a poll to address this issue. This poll would take a bit more thought and as John F# so astutely pointed out, can't be pulled out one's behind, like this poll.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

Which brings me back to a question I'm not sure I really want answered, but I'll ask anyway. Just what sort of person pulls things from their rear end, for fun no less, and just how did they end up in there, in the first place? I'm thinking that the placing of items inside one's anal orifice would be distinctly un-cool! :shock: :D :poke: . No I'm not cranky...just different.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Mick Down Under wrote:Which brings me back to a question I'm not sure I really want answered, but I'll ask anyway. Just what sort of person pulls things from their rear end, for fun no less, and just how did they end up in there, in the first place? I'm thinking that the placing of items inside one's anal orifice would be distinctly un-cool! :shock: :D :poke: . No I'm not cranky...just different. Mick
That's what comes of being expert from/on Down Under! :D
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I'll quit thinking up something. Jem just whomped Mick good enough for all of us. That was COOL.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Mick Down Under

Ah yes, that reminds me of the Monkey Story. All the Monkeys in the top most branches look down to see the monkeys below them and see a whole lot of smiling faces. The monkeys at the bottom of the tree, on the other hand, look up to see a whole bunch of a*seholes. :P :D .

Speaking from a proctologists view point, i.e down under, I can see how a piano might fit... :wink:

All this, of course, is in retaliatory defence against Jems rain of arrows :) .

No offence was taken or meant.
Mick
Such is life...
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Oh, it isn't arrows, not any more. You might be looking up at what you said, but you're still Down Under. Gravity, m'lad, gravity! Beware grand piano-size t**ds. Those would wipe the upward directed grins off........

Below!

(Oh, and just to reassure folk and to keep this thread on-topic, "No musical instruments have been harmed in making this post.....")
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Mick Down Under

:lol:
Such is life...