Ebay Items

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jeff Cullen
antispam: No

Re: Ebay Items

Post by Jeff Cullen »

15,000 GBP is double what I paid for the 4-reg CP Froment set 6 months ago. That's a pretty hefty tag, especially for an instrument that doesn't have the premium value added for some vintage instruments.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

PJ
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Careful now.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I know, but that's how the seller describes it.
PJ
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Only the super rich need look at this and it looks like box .... maybe Ferris ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0367648834

John
ferris54
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ferris54 »

Post subject: Re: Ebay ItemsPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:09 am

Location: Baychimo Full Set by Cillian O'Briain buy it now at £15,000.00 or make an offer.

Some, but not all, of the tone holes seem scalloped - the E, F, G, A, B and back D all seem to be but the Eb and C are not. I've never seen this before. Are all COB's chanters like this?

A bit late there elmek?????
billh

Post by billh »

PJ wrote:...
Some, but not all, of the tone holes seem scalloped - the E, F, G, A, B and back D all seem to be but the Eb and C are not. I've never seen this before. Are all COB's chanters like this?
Looks like a very early Cillian O'Briain design. All Cillian's chanters are scalloped, but nowadays each tonehole has its own bit of scalloping; the early design was flattened across most of the chanter front (like this one). I'd say this set - or at least the chanter - is well over 15 years old, possibly more like 20?
PJ

Post by PJ »

Thanks Bill.

BTW, the auction mentions that this was Cillian's first full set.
PJ
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

Are toneholes scalloped to adjust the chimney height just for tuning purposes, or are there other reasons? When I first started playing a Froment chanter, I found it hard to close some of the holes without leaking air and producing squeals because of the scalloping. Once I got used to it, it was no problem. I recently acquired a new Tim Benson cocobolo chanter that plays nicely and has very sweet tone, but is scalloped even deeper than the Froment on some holes and I'm finding it difficult again. I'm sure after a few months of playing, it will feel natural.
Jeff Cullen
PJ

Post by PJ »

Jeff Cullen wrote:Are toneholes scalloped to adjust the chimney height just for tuning purposes, or are there other reasons?
There are various reasons. But scalloping does reduce chimney height and so affect tuning. Some do it for the feel. Others for the sound.
PJ
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Ferris' sets have sold - the practice set to Spain and the C# look to have gone to a highland piper (with an ebay name of msr105 I am guessing someone who plays GHB)

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Looks like Jeff Cullen has put the Brennan Set up for sale.

And a Practice set with Whitmer chanter

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
PJ

Post by PJ »

Jeff - are the mounts real ivory? If so, it might be important to mention it in the auction description.
PJ
billh

Post by billh »

PJ wrote:Jeff - are the mounts real ivory? If so, it might be important to mention it in the auction description.
Or not, given the eBay policy.

This set, if it isn't already, will be past the 100-year CITES limit on antique ivory very soon.

regards,

Bill
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

Yes, the mounts are real ivory. I had to call them "natural" because ebay has a ban on selling anything with ivory regardless of CITES status. Thanks for pointing out this auction. The chanter and drones on the Brennan are going very nicely. My playing doesn't exactly inspire, but progress takes time.

The Whitmer chanter has a sweet sound. That will make a nice practice set for someone. Given the number of sets that are on the second-hand market, I would expect that someone will get a good deal on that set.

I bought several chanters over the last two years almost none of them arrived in playable condition, so I thought it was important to make sound files regardless of my level of playing. I've got a Spillane practice set and a Ginsberg chanter I'll be selling next week that are both sounding nice.
Jeff Cullen