Play in public!!! Oh Dear! Help!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Loads of good tips already, not much I can add.

Old folks are the most gentle audience you could ever hope for. As Beth said, slow down. They will want your concert to last forever, so don't rush through stuff.

For the songs (Danny Boy, Cockles & Mussels) I bet they'll want to sing along, so encourage them to, and maybe have songsheets ready to hand out? Kids and old folks are suckers for joining in (oh no they're not, oh yes they are etc.).

And encourage them to drink lots of milk, it's good for their bones & teeth, and gives them a nice glossy coat too.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Here's a link to "St. Patrick's Breastplate" from The Cyber Hymnal (sorry for the poor quality of the MIDI...it's an older site). Supposedly the score is on there too, but I haven't been able to find it. It's a beautiful tune (very Irish!), and I think it would sound great on the dulcimer (and be highly appropriate for St. Patrick's Day). I don't know how popular it is in other church circles, but if any of your listeners happen to be Episcopalians, they'll recognize it instantly...it's very popular at ordinations and clergy investitures.

<A HREF="http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/s/t/stpatric.htm">St. Patrick's Breastplate</A>

Redwolf
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Here's a better one...from the Anglican Cyber Hymnal. It does have the score, as well as a better MIDI. I think you need may need Scorch to read it, but it's a free download via a button on the main page <A HREF="http://www.episcopalnet.org/CHymnal/ACH/">HERE</A>

Here's the link to the tune: <A HREF="http://www.episcopalnet.org/CHymnal/ACH/268.html">St. Patrick's Breastplate</A>

Redwolf
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

You will do find Kathy as others have said they will greatly appreciate it and kind enough not to hear the mistakes "if you make any"

The group I play with now and before I joined did a gig at seniors residence and when they finished, they found out that one senior had died in the audience, everybody thought he was asleep!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Practice beforehand, you still have a month. And I don't mean practice the tunes (that's good, too, though), but practice playing in public. Whistle at the gas station while you're waiting for the tank to fill. Sit on a city stoop and whistle. Just do it where you know people will hear you. Dealing with that nervousness is something you can learn, and it's not hard beyond just doing it.
/Bloomfield
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

Another good hymn would be "Come Thou Fount"
Relax, and dont forget to practice! :razz:

Post by Guest »

Playing in front of folk is pree,ty easy once you get the hang of it,Its playing in front of a bunch of whistle players that is trickie.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wizzy on 2003-01-16 14:31 ]</font>
DanD

Post by DanD »

Our group has been known to volunteer for a free performance at a retirement home to try out new material or to break in a new band member. (Kind of like a play opening off-Broadway, before they take it to the Big Time. Except we're in Peoria, which is really OFF-OFF Broadway :smile: )
But it works out really well for all concerned - The residents get a performance of music they don't often get to hear, but may remember (we play alot of Old Timey music), the activities director is usually happy to make a room available for a free concert, and we get to play in front of a live and usually very appreciative audience. We know we've done well if they all stay awake through the performance!! :lol:
It's also a great way to learn how to communicate with your audience between numbers, how not to allow distractions (like the off key singers) to mess up your playing, and how to pay attention to your audience's reactions during a piece. All things you can't learn playing by yourself at home!! And that's not to mention all the warm fuzzies you get from doing it! :smile: Do be prepared for questions about your instruments (esp. the HD), how long you've been playing, how you learned the tunes, AND be prepared to listen to stories about how music was a part of their lives. (The stories can be my favorite part about playing there!) Best of Luck!!
HDSarah

Give us an update, Kathy!

Post by HDSarah »

Kathy,

So, how did it go? Enquiring minds want to know. :)

I hope that if I'm ever in a nursing home, someone will come and play music for me. Thanks for doing that!

Sarah
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Re: Give us an update, Kathy!

Post by chattiekathy »

HDSarah wrote:Kathy,

So, how did it go? Enquiring minds want to know. :)

I hope that if I'm ever in a nursing home, someone will come and play music for me. Thanks for doing that!

Sarah
Well Sarah,

Let me say this. The residents really appreciated it and there was foot stomping and swaying heads some even clapped along. It was a great experience to see them enjoy it so much.

As for how it went, well, have you ever seen anyone with Parkinson’s disease? Well, let me say, that I think I know a little how they feel now. It was only temporary, but definitely it was what I would call a moving experience. I had absolutely no control of my hands let alone the hammers. :boggle:

I totally messed up the first tune, and I hate to say this but I had to restart the song 2 times. :cry: I told a friend I wasn't going to tell this embarrassing story but maybe it will benefit someone else to know what can happen. The first tune was the Irish Washer Woman and I played it on the Hammered dulcimer. In the future, I now know never to start out with a fast jig again. So I can say that I learned a great deal with my first performance. I was fine after that first Shaky start. Pun intended.
As a matter of fact, I was fine up until I played the first few notes and then that's when the shaking started.

The worse part is that I have it all on tape and NO Don't ask to see it cuz I have it hid! :lol:

I will go back again. They have already asked if I would be willing to come back and play again. I told them yes.

Don't they say if you fall off you have to get back on. Right? :-?

Thanks for asking Sarah. I hope everyone else had a great time at their gigs. I still had a great time, I bounce back very fast. :D I also have a huge sense of humor so I am looking forward to watching the tape in a year and having a wonderful laugh over it. :lol:

Cheers,
Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

Good job, Kathy! You turned what is probably a recurring nightmare for half of us in here into a good experience.

Rando (applauding loudly)
Rosin the Bow

Post by Rosin the Bow »

~from a performance major :D~

Ok here it is Kathy:

Think about what kind of poster you might have up, if you were to invite people to come and hear you play...

Actually, put your post about what you think is going to happen into a poster version:

EX.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~APPEARING TONIGHT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
KATHY

Performance includes Irish music that is sure to include: being nervous, not wanting to play in front of people, Jittery, not having anything to say because she is so nervous and would rather play so quiet noone can hear her.

Think about if you were an audience member.. you go to enjoy music, and the largest part about that.. is enjoying the music with the performer. dont be selfish!

Also, Im a firm believer in breathing
10 deep.. from the belly then up through the top of your lungs then out through ur mouth before you perform. It slows the heart rhythm and helps you relax.

Good luck, if any more ?'s let me know!

RtB
serpent

Stage fright...

Post by serpent »

Kathy, I'm so happy it went well. I originally didn't see that you'd already done it, and posted a bunch of advice, like everyone else, but hey, you done good, lass!
Slainte! :D
serpiePie
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Kathy,

Way to go! And thanks for having the courage to report the uncomfortable bits as well. It's good for all of us to be reminded that a performance doesn't have to be perfect in order to be a success.

A friend of mine has just had her first children's book, The Giant Cabbage, published (see her website at http://www.cheriestihler.com/index.html ). She's asked me to provide background music on my hammered dulcimer for a book signing at a local store in a couple weeks. I've been thinking about it, and I think I could do it. It isn't really a performance; I'll be off to the side and won't be the center of attention; and I imagine there won't be large numbers of people at any one time. I'll be able to stop and chat with individuals who may express an interest in the dulcimer. On a normal Friday evening, I'd be home playing random tunes for my own enjoyment in my living room; it shouldn't be that big of a stretch to do it at the book signing instead with a few strangers milling around. I think it will be a manageable step for me in the ongoing effort to conquer my performance anxiety.

Sarah
inspired by Kathy :)
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I just saw this thread. I'm glad you had a good time performing. It is tough going solo. I'm always more comfortable if it's not solo. I also know what you mean about nerves.
One thing I always do-regardless of the instrument, is start with a slower tune that I've got down cold. That gives me time to "warm up" and get over the initial jitters. Also giveing yourself time to get mentally prepared is a help. I know if I just jump on a tune without taking a few seconds to get ready mentally I'll goof it up.

Now , having said this, I am going to have to start one of our new pipeband tunes on whistle(MacPherson's Lament). I'll start it, the pm will come in, also on whistle, on the second time thru with some harmony I wrote for it, then the pipes come in and I'll switch back to my tenor drum. The thought of this solo is terrifying.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West