Drive 3,2,1 ?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Drive 3,2,1 ?

Post by pipersgrip »

I know when one is driving, they normally put the sitck on the big D. What is the 3, 2, and 1 for?
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Drive 3,2,1 ?

Post by djm »

I'll go out on a limb here and guess you are talking about the gearstick on an automatic transmission vehicle (?). You might see D for Drive, O for Overdrive (if your vehicle is equipped with this), then 2 for second gear and 1 for first gear. The 1 and 2 are for times when you need to put your engine's power into use for torque/power more than for speed, e.g. when driving in deep snow or on steep hills.

Does that help?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Yes it does, thanks.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

And here I thought this would be about raid configurations for multiple drive servers.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

The Whistle Collector wrote:I know when one is driving, they normally put the sitck on the big D. What is the 3, 2, and 1 for?

Hmm, lets see....you've moved from the flat lands up into the mountains, right??? :P

When it's snowy and slick as all get out and you are heading down a hill, 2 if it's pretty slick and you just need to slow down a bit, 1 if it's really really slick--this is so you don't have to step on the breaks :) and go sliding on over the edge
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Denny

Post by Denny »

and ya have rear wheel drive.... :wink:
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Remember, when you really need passing power, slam it into Race!
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

cowtime wrote:When it's snowy and slick as all get out and you are heading down a hill, 2 if it's pretty slick and you just need to slow down a bit, 1 if it's really really slick--this is so you don't have to step on the breaks :) and go sliding on over the edge
It doesn't even have to be slick. When driving
downhill on the Blue Ridge Pkwy, if you notice
you're riding your brakes a lot, you can
"downshift" (by putting the shifter on one of
those numbers). This keeps it in the gear
specified by that number instead of letting the
automatic transmission change gears as it
usually would. This can keep you from speeding
up as much due to gravity (I think this is similar
to engine braking). Just remember to put it back
in D for regular driving.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I use to do that on a really long steep downgradeon my old mail route, I'm talkin' really steep, with a switchback curve half way down, I would put it into "1", . Did it everyday....until it ocurred to me that while I was saving brake wear, I was increasing transmission wear on a vehicle that has to put up with more than normal gear changes. I quit it and went back to the brakes. :)
John Foster West
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

If you rent a car in Maui, they make you
sign a notice that you should use lower
gear if you drive down Mt Haleakala (the
steepest grade in the US). I guess they
got tired of replacing the brakes every
year (or scraping up tourists whose brakes
finally gave up).
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Ooh, now someone needs to teach him how to hold a car on a hill using the gas and the clutch (no brakes)! :)
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

:lol: Thanks for the advice on the Drive gauges.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I bet there is a large group of people that never use anything but Drive and even if you explained what 3, 2, & 1 were for, probably wouldn't understand what you were talking about, and probably aren't the driver in their family who drives in those conditions, and if they do drive in those conditions, they're not going to use them to their advantage anyway, so using 3, 2, & 1 wouldn't matter.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

jsluder wrote:Ooh, now someone needs to teach him how to hold a car on a hill using the gas and the clutch (no brakes)! :)
What fun!!! :party: What makes it even more funner is the car or truck that pulls up just, almost, touching your rear bumper- no roll back room a-tall.
John Foster West
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

cowtime wrote:
The Whistle Collector wrote:I know when one is driving, they normally put the sitck on the big D. What is the 3, 2, and 1 for?

Hmm, lets see....you've moved from the flat lands up into the mountains, right??? :P

When it's snowy and slick as all get out and you are heading down a hill, 2 if it's pretty slick and you just need to slow down a bit, 1 if it's really really slick--this is so you don't have to step on the breaks :) and go sliding on over the edge
Here's another time you might choose to use "2" instead of "D" in slick conditions: if you are starting from a stop at an ice-covered intersection, putting it in "2" gives you LESS power than the "1" that the automatic transmission would choose, which makes it less likely for your wheels to spin.

(I don't really know much about cars, but I know a lot about living and driving in a place where there's ice on the roads at intersections a lot of the time. :D )
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam