Play in public!!! Oh Dear! Help!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chattiekathy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

What to do?! what to do?!

I got a phone call from a friend this morning asking to do her a favor. She is the Activities director at a senior citizens home and is in need of entertainment for the St. Patricks Day program.
She wants me to bring my Whistles and my Hammered dulcimer and entertain the residents there! I am so scared!!! I have only played my dulcimer maybe 4 times in public with a local gospel/bluegrass jam session where I only play background noise in the key that they are playing the tune in. It's quiet enough that if I hit a wrong note, nobody knows, not even me sometimes. Ha Ha.
I have never played my Whistle for anybody but immediate family and maybe 3 of my friends. I just know I will hyperventilate and probably swallow the whistle. Oh God, I hope I don't let my hammers fly and whap some old person in the head. What am I gonna Do?!!!
Ok, Breathe, Breathe, Whew, Ok now I can go on. I have a list of Irishy tunes that I can play that don't sound too bad. Here is my list. If you think some of these won't sound good following one another, let me know please.
Oh, HD is Hammered Dulcimer and W is for , well, you know!

HD "The Irish Washer Woman"
HD "Marcus Hernons Air"
W "Inisheer"
HD "Southwinds"
HD "An Comhra Donn" (The Brown Coffin)I won't tell them that, it's a hornpipe so it sounds skippy.
W "Oh Danny Boy" I know, but I gotta do it.
HD "Brian Boru's March"
HD "Star of the County Down"
W "Cockles and Mussels"
W "Toora Loora Loora" (Irish lullaby) I am playing this by ear but if someone has the music for it I would appreciate it.
HD "Sweet Hour of Prayer"

I thought I would end with a hymn because it is a Church of the Brethren home and they like hymns. I would rather find an Irish Hymn but if I can't learn or find another one by then, I will use it.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Kathy
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Kathy, relax! The people will be so happy to have you come and play for them that they won't care if you are nervous or make a mistake - and they probably won't even know it if you do!

In my opinion, the biggest things to remember about playing for others are:

1) Be able to continue on if you make a mistake - at the very least, if you can't pick up from where you left off, try to keep the beat going and start over at the beginning of an A or B part.

2) If you hit a sour note, try not to make a face! I always cringe and this lets my audience know I goofed :smile: I am working on it but it's slow going.

3) Pay attention to the speed that you start a tune on - I tend to play faster than normal when I am nervous, which usually gets me into trouble midway through the tune.

You'll be great! It might help you to take a friend along for moral support if you can - I am always MUCH less self conscious playing in public with a friend along.
Bagfed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bagfed »

They will probably be so happy to see you and have some entertainment, they won't care if you mess up a little. Relax.
Life is good. Hard, but good.
Bagfed

Post by Bagfed »

avanutria:
we must have hit the send button at the exact same time.
Life is good. Hard, but good.
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Kathy, you will do just great!! Beth already gave you good advice, so I will just add tons of good energy for you to have fun and enjoy!! :smile:

All the best,
Andrea ~*~
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Just remember that half of them will be hard of hearing anyhow, so what's the worry?
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I'm sure you'll be just fine! Would it help to invite a friend to come play with you, if you know someone who plays something appropriate? It might take the pressure off a little. Have fun!

Robin
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

If you're still looking for an Irish hymn, you might consider "Be Thou My Vision". A lovely old hymn supposedly based on an old Celtic or Irish tune.

I play it in G on a D whistle.

Good luck and breath deep.

I've played some for our residents on our Gero-psychiatric unit and they love it. Their smiles and whoops are priceless. They do seem to appreciate hymns a bunch.

take care

jim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: livethe question on 2003-01-15 21:35 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: livethe question on 2003-01-15 21:36 ]</font>
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Way to go, Kathy! You'll wonder why you waited so long. And...you have until March to figure it all out!

Can you find an old Broadman hymnal? I was raised Baptist and still have a fondness for many tunes found there.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-01-15 21:34, livethe question wrote:
If you're still looking for an Irish hymn, you might consider "Be Thou My Vision". A lovely old hymn supposedly based on an old Celtic or Irish tune.

I play it in G on a D whistle.

Good luck and breath deep.

I've played some for our residents on our Gero-psychiatric unit and they love it. Their smiles and whoops are priceless. They do seem to appreciate hymns a bunch.

take care

jim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: livethe question on 2003-01-15 21:35 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: livethe question on 2003-01-15 21:36 ]</font>
Yes...the tune for "Be Thou My Vision" is "Slane," which is Irish. Another good one (on the dulcimer, anyway...it's a bit tricky on the whistle) is "St. Patrick's Breastplate."

Relax, Kathy...they're going to love you! I love singing in nursing homes, because they genuinely enjoy the music, and so much love having visitors! The last time our choir sang at one, one of the nurses came up to me and one of the section leaders afterward and asked if a few of us would mind going around to some of the rooms to sing "Amazing Grace"...a favorite of many of the residents (some of whom couldn't make it down to the lobby for our choir performance). I thought I would be terribly shy, especially as the section leader is a much better singer than I am, but I really enjoyed it...and so did the residents. You're going to make their day :smile:

Redwolf
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

One other thing Kathy; They are going to dance. Them that can will dance. And your heart will soar like a hawk. Because what you give them they will give to you many times over. You are going to love it.

Tom
Pogue_Mahone

Post by Pogue_Mahone »

picture everybody in the audience in their underwear! lol, just kidding, but in my experience, even if you do make a mistake, people wont start pointing at you and start laughing. thats always been a big fear of mine when doing something in front of other people, but they never do. don't worry!!!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The advice you've been getting is good so I'll just add something I don't think anybody has said. Although you shouldn't be in a state of panic, you should feel nervous before performing. That is normal and those who don't rarely give of their best. Even those of us who have regularly been making a public spectacle of ourselves for decades *still* feel nervous, especially in front of a new audience. Not too nervous mind; just nervous enough to have that edge that makes for a good performance. Good luck.
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

I shut my eyes and just play, and listen to the music.This way I can't see distracting things or worry about expressions on people faces. Only the music exists!

Just take a breath, and go for it.

Works for me.

HTH Best of luck :smile:
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

You will LOVE it!! People in nursing homes are so starved for stimulation, that you could sit up there and read the phone book and they would appreciate it.
I used to do foot care at several nursing homes, and once in a while would entertain them with my amateur juggling. I later added some music and gradually left out the juggling. The people were crazy about it, no matter what I did.
Play stuff that is familiar to THEM in addition to your usual fare. Bicycle Built For Two, etc. Encourage them to sing along. Joke with them. Be silly. This will be one of the most rewarding things you ever do. Trust me on this one.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!