Whistle tabs, or my inability to read music when whistling.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tbfalsename

Whistle tabs, or my inability to read music when whistling.

Post by tbfalsename »

Hi, fairly new to these boards, been reading but not posting, and I thought somebody here might be able to help me.

I've been looking for whistle tabs, however most of the sites I've found, through google and links on various sites, have either disappeared or, although they claim to have tabs, only have sheet music.

It's not that I can't read music, when I'm playing my keyboard I can read music fine, however when I try it whilst playing the whistle it all falls to pieces. I have the same problem with my ocarina. I'm left having to use tabs or listening to the tune and trying to work it out by ear.

Anybody got any tips on helping me read music whilst playing, or links to sites with tabs on?

Mike
Dain
antispam: No

Re: Whistle tabs, or my inability to read music when whistling.

Post by Dain »

Go slow first time; it's not like you have to play it flawlessly for the first time... :wink:
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

practice.
lots.
slowly.
be patient.

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Persevere. :D

I couldn't read dots six months ago. I used whistle tab but encountered the problems you have found. There are programs that accept ABC and display whistle tab, but after reading several comment on this forum I decided to try without. (Hey guys - see I can take advice). After a month or two (ok maybe three or...) I have reached a state halfway between reading the dots and memory. If I play without the dots I get my currently-being-learnt tune wrong, but there is no way I could play tune from the dots only. Maybe another few months will see a change, though extracting rhythm from the dots is still too much of a mystery.

With your musical background you should overtake me in a few days or weeks. Remember I had no musical background when I started.

I hope this encourages you.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Learn to sing or play new tunes on the keyboard, and then transfer to whistle by ear?

Or more likely, spend a few more hours solidifying the note-dot-fingering connection and never have this trouble again. Or think about tabs. Tabs are useful on a mandolin, guitar or cittern where there are many ways to make the same note or chord, but they're silly on a whistle, where there's only one way to make all the good notes.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Get a whistle tutor like Bill Ochs' The Clarke Tinwhistle, and work through it tune by tune and reading the music. It'll take you slowly and stepwise through learning to comfortably read music on the whistle.
Although I was already a good amateur recorder player, when I wanted to learn whistle (which included re-learning fingerings and ornamentation) that's what I did and it made the transition easy.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Mick Down Under
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mick Down Under »

I used to draw a finger position diagram under each note (after making a copy of the sheet music so I could draw on it). Now, since I'm not a fast reader of the dots, all I do is put a letter symbol under each note with lower case letters for the second octave notes. Timing is not an issue since I can read timing and rests well enough. I have to say this is helping with my note reading and speed as I learn the names of each note in relation to their home on the stave from this exercise.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
squidgirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by squidgirl »

Though I agree that it's much better in the long run to make the association between the dots and the whistle fingerings, there is whistle tab out there. Try these sites:

http://www.abacci.com/music/tabinstrume ... rumentID=6
http://www.guitarnut.com/folktablature/index.html
http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/index.html

On the last one, you need to call up the tune first, then click on the "Pennywhistle notation" link
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I agree with the perservere post. Do you remember how long it took you to associate the the sheet music note "C" with the actual note "C" on a piano? Now imagine if the piano music that you could already read was written in piano tab. Quit laughing.

You'll figure out the fingering in time. It takes a but a bit of time and dedication studying and practicing. Much less time than it took with the piano. And don't forget, you're only playing one note at a time.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Here is how I teach people:

I take the lyrics of a song they know - something simple.
Then I print that out wide spaced and above each word or syllable write the fingering, having worked it out so it is in a key that requires no sharps or flats.
I use numbers 6 to 0 and then for the upper octave 6' to 0'.

I have never failed to have someone playing a simple tune within 30 minutes using this method.
Then they can start writing up their own tunes and learning to play by ear.

I can play from music and being a trumpet player I have the ability to transpose from concert pitch parts to a whistle in any key but for folk music this is rarely necessary.

Another trick I use is to write down the name of the tune, the key of whistle I am going to play it on and the fingering for the first note, so I know where to start.
This is often enough.
Whistler Bard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Whistler Bard »

I'm new to the whistle and to reading music sheets, even having played e-bass before, i did it with tabs.

My method for the whistle is listening to the tune (more than once), then i pick up the sheet and the whistle and start figuring out note by note, when I have 8 notes i try to play them from memory of the song i listened. In a bit i start realizing where everything fits, and that's it!

So: for starters: listen to the song -> sheet -> whistle

This way i learn the notes on the sheet (which aren't that dificult), and i start to figure out the tempos because I listened to the song previously. A mix of by ear and by sheet. One day i'll be able to read sheet only, and ear only, i hope :)
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

If you download ABCNavigator or ABCexplorer you can look at the dots while the music plays. This is handy. You find you learn the dots without making a conscious effort.

Some kind soul posted a whistle font a while back. You might find it in the archives. If you can't, PM me.

Just paste your ABC tune into word, and then set the font to be your whistle-tab. Presto-changeo! You have your tune in whistle-tab. You might have to increase the font size a few times to make it legible.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Tootler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Tootler »

If you can already read music, which you say you can, then you should know what pitches the dots on the stave represent. It's then a matter of learning the fingerings for those pitches. It should be easier than the piano as you only have one stave to deal with and not two.

As others have already said, it's then a matter of taking it a step at a time and plenty practice.

Geoff
Geoff Walker

Westmoreland (Playford, 1686)
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

My view is that it is easier to learn staff notation on the whistle by treating the lowest note of the D whistle as C (although it is concert D). Then you can transpose up and down for different keys of whistle and the fingering for a C will always be 6. Otherwise the fingering for concert D on a D whistle would be 6 but on a C whistle would be 5.

I just realised that thats probably doesn't make any sense at all, but it does to me!
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

GordonH wrote:I just realised that thats probably doesn't make any sense at all, but it does to me!
No, it makes perfect sense. Except that whistles are generally treated as transposing instruments relative to D fingering, with six holes down always D (i.e. the D whistle, not C whistle, being the canonical concert pitch instrument, as you obviously know). So just match D to the first note immediately below the staff and move up from there.

Calculating transpositions from the D scale is really no harder than from C if you think in terms of scale degrees instead of note names.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.