Hard Drives: What a difference 20 years makes.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hard Drives: What a difference 20 years makes.

Post by Dale »

1989:
The IBM 3390 Direct Access Storage Device series was introduced November 1989, offering a maximum storage of up to 22 gigabytes. Cost of a storage system varied by configuration and capacity, between $90,000 and $795,000.
Now:

susnfx

Re: Hard Drives: What a difference 20 years makes.

Post by susnfx »

I don't relate so much to memory capacity...but what a difference 37 years makes:

My first "computer": an IBM Mag card typewriter introduced in 1973 with an 8000 character memory. Two of us in the FBI's San Diego field office secretarial pool got these. Lucky me.
Susan
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

The hard drive in my first computer, a PC-XT was a whopping 10 megabites!
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Had a pertinent conversation just this weekend with an old college friend:

I did my undergrad work from '88 - '92, and entered college with a typewriter; if I needed a computer, I went to the computer lab at school. I finally bought a Mac Classic (I think) for my senior year: it didn't have a hard drive, but rather had two 3.5" floppy disk drives. I was forever swapping out disks while running programs ("Please insert Disk 2. Please insert Disk 3. Please insert Disk 1" . . . over and over). Cramped little black-and-white screen. The thing cost me something like $1600, too! You can get a pretty loaded laptop nowadays for that kind of scratch.

The fellow I spoke with this weekend also bought a Mac during his senior year, but his had (if our memories served) a 20 (possibly 40?) megabyte -- *not* gigabyte -- hard drive. And we all made fun of him at the time: "How could anyone possibly need that much memory? What ridiculous overkill!"

And now I've got an iPod with 80 gigabytes of memory in my pocket. Times change, indeed.

(Along with that Mac and its floppy drives, I also bought a dot-matrix printer. Boy, could a guy make himself popular in the dorms by printing out a draft paper at 2:00 a.m. with that thing. What a racket. And ah, the days of tearing off those two little perforated rows running down the side of each page, and having to tear the pages apart from one another from that one never-ending strip. Hey, how long was your essay? "Oh, about seventeen feet...")

And uphill to school every day, through the snow. On the way home, too.
Paul

Post by Paul »

LOL Back in the day my best friend was very excited to receive what must have been one of these Sinclair "home" computers. I'm pretty sure it was this model but it may have been one without that extended back thingy behind the keyboard. Either way it looked a lot like this one and it was the same brand. It had a blistering 4K of ram and an external cassette drive and was hooked up to an old 1960s or 70s B&W TV. Image

Protean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

herbivore12 wrote:And ah, the days of tearing off those two little perforated rows running down the side of each page, and having to tear the pages apart from one another from that one never-ending strip.
*Warning: slight tangent.*

I had a volunteer post at a hospital for a while in the data processing department. It started out as rudimentary data entry for a special program the hospital ran that would give members discounts. We entered patient info into the system, etc. They canceled that program and our duties shifted:

They used to use dot matrix printers but had long since replaced them. They still had reams and reams of the paper, though, so they had taken to making notepad out of them. To do this required that every sheet be separated and every feed strip be pulled. So, suddenly my volunteer post in data processing became all about taking boxes and boxes of old dot matrix paper, pulling off the feed strips, and separating every page.

We knew we were in trouble when we ran out of paper to tear... they "laid us off" the following week (can you lay off a volunteer?).
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

My first computer. Radio Shack TRS-80. No hard drive, no floppy drive. Cassette tape interface. 16KB of RAM which I upgraded to 32K, making me the hottest jock on the block for about 2 weeks.

Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

my first:

apple ][+..pretty sure it had 16K of memory. One disk drive.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

My first was a Wang personal computer.
My father programmed Wang mainframes,
and somehow this translated into a free
used Wang PC that a customer wasn't
using anymore.

It had a green&black monochrome screen.
We also had a daisy wheel printer that had
a glass cover to muffle the incredible sound
made by the print head's impact (think M-16,
but slower).

It didn't do much, so I learned Basic.

It's probably low on the archaity metrics, but
high on the obscurity-meter (and the funny
name scale).
missy

Post by missy »

we really thought we were something when we got a HP 1000 in the lab in 1986. We were running 24 instruments off of it (all with A/D boxes, of course).

Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
djm

Post by djm »

Mmmm, storage envy - 1 terrabyte!!! :o

I still have the first hard drive I ever bought. It is a 20 MB external drive for an Atari 1024ST. It cost me $900.00 at the time.

I still have the Atari, too. It blew the Mac of the time right out of the water, and left the PC so far behind as to not be a consideration. I have never forgiven Atari for dumping us users.

Frankly, I don't know what to do with it now. I managed to sell my Apple IIe. I guess if you look hard enough there's a market for just about anything.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

So much room, you don't know what to do with the rest..
is the soundtrack to *every* advance in storage capacity.

~~

My first was a Franklin ACE, an Apple clone. It had no hard disk at all; I spent days swapping floppies.

Although my first programming experience involved colouring in a new card for every line of BASIC, to be read by what was alleged to be a Wang mainframe. The other class got to learn on the new Commadore Pets. I still feel ripped off.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

My first computer - well not mine personally, our high school - Digital PDP-8/i, 1969:

No mass storage as I recall, only paper punch tape on a Teletype ASR-33 terminal:

Image Image

You'd walk away from every programming session covered in a yellow confetti of punch tape chads. Or avoid that by programming octal machine code directly into the CPU via the rocker switches. It also came with a BASIC interpreter and Fortran compiler.

My first personally-owned PC (after a Sinclair ZX-81, and a shared Kaypro 286i) was a Compaq 386s in 1989. The factory upgrade from the default 10 MB drive to the whopping 40 MB drive cost around $1000, for a total cost of around $5K.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

My first computer was a Mac SE, and my business partner and I went all out and got the 40MB HD option. I have no idea what we paid for the whole sh'bang, laserwriter and all, but it was a bundle.

In about '94 or so as I recall, I bought a 540MB external drive, and it was roughly $500. At that rate, my iMac's drive would have set me back about $320,000!
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

djm wrote: I still have the first hard drive I ever bought. It is a 20 MB external drive for an Atari 1024ST. It cost me $900.00 at the time.

I still have the Atari, too. It blew the Mac of the time right out of the water, and left the PC so far behind as to not be a consideration. I have never forgiven Atari for dumping us users.
I had an Atari ST. I still miss it.