Rambling Observations on a Busman D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I never thought I would consider owning a wooden whistle...I design and play other wooden instruments and know the joys and pitfalls of the material. Being satisfied with my Burke and Hoover whistles for a long time, I thought myself ‘safe.’ I was not interested in the care and feeding necessary to the preservation of a wooden whistle, and the wooden whistles I had heard, had a shrill quality in the high end that defined everything I did not want in a whistle...

Last fall, I found myself in Marguerite Plank’s rustic living room, attending a whistle workshop lead by Wendy Morrison. Wendy is a fine teacher, and taught us while holding a delightful little white dog...During the workshop, Wendy was playing this oddly attractive wooden whistle. As I listened to it, I heard a solid sound, very full-bodied, with absolutely no shrill quality to the high end. The volume of the instrument was amazingly consistent from octave to octave...I also noted the whistle was in tune with itself, and cross fingered C - both low and high - were spot-on. The whistle had been created by Paul Busman.

On the C+F board a few days later, I learned that Paul’s prices were going up in January. The new price would still be far below that of other wooden whistles, and the price in the pre-January world was truly a bargain. Bad time of the year...Shouldn’t do it...Don’t need it...All true...But I crossed the Rubicon and e-mailed Paul. Over the ensuing weeks, we discussed types of woods and all the good stuff I swore I never wanted to deal with, concerning whistles. Result: An order for a Kingwood D with brass fittings. Along the way, Paul said he had a special piece of wood with an interesting anomaly in the grain. Did I want it, and where should he place the odd marking - front or back? The decision was made to put it on the front, where it could be seen...

The whistle was delivered to me awhile ago, and I have been breaking it in, following Paul’s instructions. I feel I have played it enough to make some subjective observations. Please note that others have offered very intelligent comments concerning many qualities of Paul’s instruments. I agree with the analyses that I have read. The following is in no way meant to be considered a full, objective review...I will leave that to better writers with more time on their hands...

IMHO:

Paul’s D whistle is a truly fine instrument. As has been said by others, the workmanship is first-rate. Whether one looks at the perfectly symmetrical windway and blade, the fit of the mouthpiece, the close fit of the brass slide and fittings, the size and feel of the tone holes, or the over-all finish itself, the whistle is a work of art.

Sonically, the bottom end is very strong - The instrument creates the strongest bell note of any high D whistle I own. Decibel level remains consistent up through the octaves, just like Wendy’s instrument. My Burkes seemlessly flow from the lower notes of the upper octave to the higher notes. No extra effort in thought and breath control is necessary. The Busman is a bit different. While high G up to the top is smooth and easy to access, the whistle must really be ‘told’ to go up there. It is a function of breath control and is not effortless or automatic... This is not a condemnation - just the opposite. As I am getting used to this phenomenon, I find that I like this kind of precision in Paul’s instrument. For whatever reason, this almost ‘angular’ subjective playing quality defines all areas of playing this whistle. Notes really pop out. Ornaments can be played very fast and very clean. There is a subjective 'space' between notes, when playing...This instrument is analogous to a very slick stick shift - not an automatic transmission...What a treasure...

Bottom line: Will I sell my Hoovers and Burkes? Absolutely not. Do I wish to own other wooden whistles? Not really, although I would consider it if Paul expands his product line. This whistle is different from any that I play, and I am very glad I purchased it. The instrument will see lots of use...

A philosophical side-bar, if I may: I have always considered that purchasing complex hand-made instruments from established artisans is the way to go. The more they have made, the more experience they have had - the better the chance of receiving a fine, technically mature instrument.
However, there is something to be said for purchasing an instrument from craftsmen who are somewhere lower on the food chain. These persons may not have the experience, but they are hungry to do the best they can do. The ills of boredom, ego, or ‘time-saving short-cuts’ have not sullied their work, and the resulting product can truly be inspired. Paul has not been a whistle-smith for very long, but I have found him intense, inspired, and both willing and able to create superbly crafted whistles.

Best to all.

Byll
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

me too! me too!

let me jump on this band wagon. byll, you've said it very well. i too have one of Paul's babies and it is marvelous. it has just the tone i was looking for and it is an absolute joy to play. my only problem is that i can't hardly put it down once i start!
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Well *my* only problem is that mine will take another 6-8 weeks to arrive. I wish all whistles presented problems no worse than this.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Oh mercy...WhOA be gone! I absolutely must have one, but I absolutely must not even consider it until my birthday in June :sad:

Redwolf
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-01-16 01:41, Redwolf wrote:
Oh mercy...WhOA be gone! I absolutely must have one, but I absolutely must not even consider it until my birthday in June :sad:

Redwolf
Happy birthday, Redwolf. :smile:
rbm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rbm »

I have the same problem as Wombat another 6-8 weeks to wait!! It good to read more complimentary reports on Paul's whistle, makes you feel a whole lot better when your buying blind having only seen piccies of them.
"It's at times like this I wish I'd listened to what my mother said."
"Why? what did she say?"
"Don't know - I didn't listen!"
madguy

Post by madguy »

As I posted earlier this week, my Busman Bocote D arrived last week, and this week, being on vacation, has been my first actual opportunity to sit down and spend some time with the beauty. As per Paul's instructions, I'm only playing it around 20 minutes at a sitting right now (several times each day!), but I can already echo everything Byll has so eloquently stated about his Busman.

One thing I have noticed is that my Busman has a much stronger bell note than either my Thin Weasel or Abell. Today, I love my Busman Bocote D - in another month or so I am certain I'll be infatuated with it!

~Larry
jmccain

Post by jmccain »

Thanks for the observations. I happily have one (in blackwood) due next month, too.

I guess Dr. Busman received a flurry of pre-price increase orders!

Best, John
madguy

Post by madguy »

I'll bet he did, too, although, as Byll said, even with the new prices the Busman is still a great value!

~Larry
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Byll, I expected exactly this reaction from you. I find my Busman actually has more in common with the Burke WBB than with the Thin Weasel, which was more or less Paul's starting point. I especially like the mellow highs and the evenness across the octaves.

If you want to become a wooden whistle convert (nudge nudge), you might also consider a Grinter. It's a little sweeter than the Busman, but also very smooth playing.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-01-16 07:45, chas wrote:

If you want to become a wooden whistle convert (nudge nudge), you might also consider a Grinter. It's a little sweeter than the Busman, but also very smooth playing.
What a very good idea Chas. Couldn't agree more. Nice to see others putting work into maintaining wood. It's hard and (sometimes) lonely work, but someone's got to do it.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

A few more questions about Busman-whistles:
- how is the sound: chiffy or pure?
- do the different kinds of wood give different kinds of sound?
- how long is the waiting time?
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Hello, Claudine. Paul's whistles lean toward a more pure sound, but chiff is there. They sound like whistles, not flutes or recorders...

Different woods? I do not know what wood Wendy Morrison's whistle was made of when I first heard it, but my Kingwood whistle has similar sonic characteristics. I could be way off base, but I think other design considerations have more to do with the sound, than the wood used...

When I contacted Paul, my whistle's tube was already turned and partially completed. Because of that, my waiting time may not have been standard... Paul will be able to help you with the current lead time. I do not think that Paul either is - or will allow himself to be - overwhelmed with orders.

Busman whistles are truly excellent, Claudine, and worth a wait.

Best.
Byll
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

Just to reinforce what others have said, these are exceptionally good whistles and Paul is outstanding. I picked up a Busman off Ebay not long ago. Paul contacted me and told me if I had any questions or problems to contact him because he stands behind his work. It turned out that in the shipping or the dryness here in southwest Iowa a slight crack turned up. Paul told me how to stabilize the crack and offered to fix it if I didn't want to attempt it. I followed his directions and I literally cannot see where the crack was. The whistle plays like a dream. I'm probably going to order another whistle from Paul later in the spring in a different wood.

Bottom line is that here is a maker that went out of his way to follow one of his whistles to assure the owner he stood behind his work. He had already contacted the seller to see if there were problems...there weren't, some just prefer metal whistles or don't want to care for wooden whistles (they aren't really that hard to care for if you follow the makers instructions)

Here's a tip for owners of Busman whistles and it works for Thin Weasels and Grinters also. Go to a cigar shop and get one of the leather cigar holders that have the pvc or plastic inserts. They make fantastic whistle cases. Ask Philo, he's seen the one I found to hold my water weasel set.

Namasté

jim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: livethe question on 2003-01-18 21:32 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: livethe question on 2003-01-18 21:34 ]</font>
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Way to go, Byll! I've been lusting after one of these beauties, too.

I think Wendy said hers was Tulipwood (I may be mistaken). The grain was beautifully figured and I can't describe the sound as well as you did.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg