Opinion for key of second whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Finikey O'Reeley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Opinion for key of second whistle?

Post by Finikey O'Reeley »

I now have a few whistles in D and a fair number of tunes under my belt. I'd like to experiment with whistles of different keys and wonder if anyone has a recommendation of "the next key" to try? I play solo and tend to like whisles that have volume that carries. Any suggestions?
Never give others good reason to be glad to see you go.
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Opinion for key of second whistle?

Post by hans »

C and Bb (sorry, these are two!)

I always preferred Bb for playing on my own. Also much more family friendly than D.

C is great as it can be useful for playing stuff in that scale, and not just transposing (playing your D tunes on the C or Bb whistle).

As to volume: this depends much on the whistle design.

~Hans
AbraXas

Post by AbraXas »

Get hold of a Generation Bb. They are great, and most of the Bb Generation whistles I have tried, have been quite accurately i tune.
I usually stick to low whistles, but when I am gonna use a high whistle, I tend to go back to the Bb whistle.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

If you were playing with other people, I would say C. Since you're not, Bb, you'll like the big difference. If you'd like a really big difference, get a low D, you're going to anyway.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

You will get a lot of Gen Bb. That is my vote.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

If you have a D whistle and can play in two sharps (E concert) and one flat (G concert) then you are actually able to play in three major keys and their three relative minor keys on the one whistle. Adding a C whistle gives you another 6 keys to play in. Then adding a whistle in a flat key (Bb or Eb) is the next thing worth doing.

Over the years I have mainly used D, C and Bb, but I did have a rather nice 1970's Generation Eb that was very useful.
So I would say go for a C next and then a Bb (or an Eb if the fancy takes you and you can find a good one thats not too expensive).
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

For what it's worth, the best whistle I have is a Jerry Freeman Mellow Dog in C.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Most every one has a Generation Bb, and enjoys it. :thumbsup: I have one, and also a Generation Bb tone tube cut down to play in the key of B. Thing is though they are very mellow, and then you will be wanting a low D. And then..... etc .....?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

If you don't know what key you need, you don't need a new key. Right? :D Anyway, Gen Bb is the best Bb whistle I ever heard. Get one, they're cheap.
KNQuail

Post by KNQuail »

I'm going to go with the crowd and say Generation Bb. I just got one a few weeks ago and I love it to death. I do, however, also love my Dixon Trad Eb very, very much. It's so easy to play and sounds absolutely beautiful though it's not very loud. Both are pretty affordable...the Gen Bb is downright CHEAP (I paid about $8) and the Dixon Eb is about $30 at Whistle and Drum. (I think I paid $27, but don't quote me on it.)
Dain

Post by Dain »

Is really Bb more useful than a C? :-?

Because, in our band, we get by with a D and a C. But, we are almost total amateurs. We were thinking of getting a G, but now i hear all this fuss about a Bb, so i'm interested.

And, oh, please, could someone tell me which whistles the Dubliners are playing in this song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhpb_-QGPQ0

I mean key-wise.
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

Is really Bb more useful than a C?
What you want, what you need and what is useful to you are three different things.

Gen Bb is a great whistle, but the fiddler will kill you if you ask him to transpose Cooley's to Cm :) Also, if your band not only plays tunes, but also sings, then you have vocal range of your vocalist, so it's not you, but him who will choose the key of your whistle. And so on.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Finikey is playing by him/herself so I would think that the actual key of a whistle doesn't matter so much as a different sound. The material of the whistle makes a big difference too. Finikey, you may want to consider whistles made from different materials, like wood and bamboo to get a whole new sound from a whistle.

Let us know what you decide. We're nosey as all get out.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

We're nosey as all get out.
Speak for yourself, man. :devil:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Dain wrote:And, oh, please, could someone tell me which whistles the Dubliners are playing in this song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhpb_-QGPQ0
Those would be Generation Ds, played in D (and tuned a bit sharp), the high one going up to a 3rd octave e'.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.