how a deaf fluteplayer gets to hear again

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: how a deaf fluteplayer gets to hear again

Post by anniemcu »

Renewed thoughts an prayers headed your way!

S
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Berti66 »

here I am again.
he has been very patient and helpful, we compared the last three programs we made to see what the differences were and what might be causing the nausea problem.
I only had this BEFORE the implant with the hearing aid, when I heard low pitched tones so I thought it was the low pitches we had changed.
we made some small changes again but this made no difference at all.

luckily I still have the program that DID show some progress which I told about earlier, and I currently am using that one, till next thursday and then we will discuss again.

that aside, today I got an email from someone of AB Europe, France, offering me a chance to visit a well known implant centre at the other side of my country which is known for working ONLY with this brand of implants, and to see a prof. dr. ir. in cochleair implants, who is also known for his works into using a cochleair implant and music :) :)
I once have read one of his thesis (if that is the word) before I got the implant. (think I still have this on my computer, even)
They want to check out the implant itself, which was ordered by the AB CEO Jeff Greiner and his vice president Mike Sundler.
That man really is after things right now and I send him heartfelt thanks for that! Bless him!
I have agreed to have an appointment (and a great opportunity to finally meet Dr Johan Freijns) so we will wait and see.

meanwhile I will struggle on.
the problem right now that there should be room for improvement but when we try this we run into the problems like yesterday.
I hope we find a reason why this is and hopefully we can solve it.

at least I now feel some more at peace, instead of completely out of my mind like yesterday night and last morning!
wishing everyone a good weekend and thank you for your support............it means a lot to me :)

berti
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

So pleased you are feeling better, Berti, and that you are again able to be positive. You are making good progress - it is just so slow, isn't it? But it is progress. This latest news sounds very good.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

yeah lesley, if one person would understand about p-p-p-patience and things being SLOW then it would be YOU ;)

I have been experimenting again for a bit and it looks like yesterday I have found something that makes a huge difference in how the power works in my head.
the only problem is that he has changed the program slightly so things do sound "off" when listening to things.
BUT with the experimental part we have put in another program slot (there are three, you see...) that has automatical pulsewidth instead of manual set, seems to make a difference in the weird feeling in my head that I was having.
as this is the ONLY change in this program slot, it is not unlikely the problems are caused by the pulsewidth.
another improvement of this program slot is that the sound seems to be a tad fuller, close like I used to have long ago.....

this is important information.
I have sent an email to the AB audiologist in USA to verify if this is at all possible (although my ear tells me YES).

this weekend I am going to testdrive some things like audiobooks, to see how speech comprehension is.
if I notice particular letters being a problem this could also be pointers where to adjust next time, aside from the information I gather from how my flute is sounding (the second octave has improved but still is a bit of a problem) and what the virtual piano tells me.

seems it is getting a more and more technical story but at least we are working on it.

berti
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Berti, the part about the PhD who does the work with cochlear earplants and music, that is the BOMB. That is your man, your best friend. When you go see him, try to keep youself together. Keeping my composure would be hard for me but that's the man who is going to understand what you want and need. Take you flute. Tell him that you have got to hear yourself play this instrument right. Take that man a cheap pennywhistle. He'll keep it in his pencil holder on his desk and remember you. You are traveling in important circles these days. As you are someone special to us, you must become someone special to him too. Wow Berti, you are doing it.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

another post but a short one.
this morning I have been listening to the youtube thing again.
there is a singer, her name is tanja bern and she is a friend and band member of one of my german chiff friends.
believe me when I say that I have been listening to her song Home of my heart, and I just sat there, crying.......not understanding the words but crying.........crying because I absolutely LOVED it and it made me realise that THIS makes all the difference.
also Green grow the laurels, by meymic18 (one of my friends) ....

it's just a matter of time, it's just a matter of time, just time........
I figured out there are some problems with the 500 - 1000 hz range which is second octave flute (roughly) and that also is the speech comprehension range where I am currently am experiencing problems.
I am trying really hard to lay a finger on where exactly the problem lies but it's soooooo hard.

flute sounds really strange and crap right now, and soprano whistle is even worse on the first octave.
like someone is playing with the volume button turning and closing it.....
we will see, what time will bring.
the last few weeks it brought me so much that sometimes it feels like christmas...........(when I am not counting the moments when I am out of my mind like earlier this week).

have a nice weekend everybody and fill your soul with music.
berti
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Christmas always comes in the end, no matter how long it seems to take. You will get there.
Cork

Post by Cork »

mutepointe wrote:Berti, the part about the PhD who does the work with cochlear earplants and music, that is the BOMB. That is your man, your best friend. When you go see him, try to keep youself together. Keeping my composure would be hard for me but that's the man who is going to understand what you want and need. Take you flute. Tell him that you have got to hear yourself play this instrument right. Take that man a cheap pennywhistle. He'll keep it in his pencil holder on his desk and remember you. You are traveling in important circles these days. As you are someone special to us, you must become someone special to him too. Wow Berti, you are doing it.
I share in mutepointe's thoughts, and excitement.

It seems that you, Berti, are exceptionally fortunate to have access to someone who is a CI expert and who has an interest in music.

Frankly, that appears to be about as good of a combination as could possibly be found, congratulations!

@ mutepointe

Yes, apparently Berti is traveling amongst an elite circle, these days, and I think your idea about the penny whistle is great!
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

I have to admit I am somewhat sceptic, myself.
But I have heard he is a really nice man.
We will just wait and see.

I even dreamed about it all, tonight.
Do you think I am obsessed? ;)

Berti
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

hi berti66!
I haven't particpated in this topic as yet (if I recall properly).
Get two large cowrie shells if you can.
Put them (cup them) against your ears
and relax as you hear the gentle roar
of some ocean.

11 minutes twice a day would be good.

WARNING: this is not a medical or other health professional post!
No payment is required if this harmless bit of folk advice reaps
a pleasant result. No compensation will be entertained if it doesn't.

Best wishes.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
djm

Post by djm »

Talasiga wrote:WARNING: this is not a medical or other health professional post!
No payment is required if this harmless bit of folk advice reaps
a pleasant result. No compensation will be entertained if it doesn't.
Especially if a giant 2 metre sea slug emerges from the shell and sucks your brains out ... or was that in a different thread? .....

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

:P dunno about sea slugs........ :lol:
Cork

Post by Cork »

Well, Berti, today was Thursday, and apparently you had an appointment on Thursday.

So, please, what's happening?

:-)
Berti66

Post by Berti66 »

Hi everyone.......

Well the appointment has been moved to today, friday so I have yet to experience what today brings but.........
The last week was quite interesting.
Some days ago I described I was crying when listening to someone singing and that this made me realise that it IS going to happen.
What made a difference is the smaller pulsewidth that I have on a spare program slot, (of the three) as kind of experiment, and so far it has proved to be a good idea.

Why?
Because with that program slot in particular it has become clear that I could easier keep all sounds apart and could easier recognize what they were.
That same program slot using on my Ipod, learned me that also for listening to music, it brings back memories of times when things worked..........so I guess that is good news, no? ;)
Some moments I even thought that if things (for heavens sake) would sound the SAME on my Ipod as in live listening situations then I would even DARE to take a whistle or flute and try to experiment and learn.........
This told me also that things are coming within grab.

How is live listening going? WEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL it's on and off moments.
Especially when using my speakers at home (dinosaur type compared what is available right now that I would LOVE)

So it's a matter of SMAAAAALLLLLL steps and LOTTSSSS of patience.
Today I am a bit mixed about going to Robert (my audi) but that hasn't anything to do with HIM, more with what's rearing inside me.
I realise that there are days that I do feel REALLY good..........so good that people seem to start smiling and follow me with their eyes :)
Yesterday I did feel REALLY bad........because I realised it is still going to be a LONG way to crawl to the light...it's not a matter of turning a switch and all is right again, it has harmed things inside me (softly put) and they need to heal.

BUT.....I am on my way with this, really subtle things are happening, and I do have some hope that things are going to be allright.
That also scares me no end as it is so easy to ruin everything once again........so, smaaaaaallll steps.

Sigh.
Please don't mean the P word, will you.
Will post tonight if there's news, otherwise might be tomorrow.

bye my friends :)
Berti
Cork

Post by Cork »

Berti66 wrote:...Yesterday I did feel REALLY bad........because I realised it is still going to be a LONG way to crawl to the light...it's not a matter of turning a switch and all is right again, it has harmed things inside me (softly put) and they need to heal...
Honestly, Berti, I think you are closer to satisfaction than you might otherwise believe, as perhaps you have already done enough crawling.

I'm sorry about the internal hurt you have experienced, but perhaps time could help to heal.

Time can help to heal even the worst of pain.

Please, be patient.