a theory: singing while playing instruments

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
emmline
antispam: No

Re: a theory: singing while playing instruments

Post by emmline »

izzarina wrote:I do better with a tune if I can hum it well first. But I don't really sing while playing my fiddle.
Yes, that is difficult. Incompatible postures. When my kin and I present our ridiculous bluegrass shtick at family beach-week, I only
sing between riffs. My singing is on par with my fiddling. I won't say what that means.
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:
izzarina wrote:I do better with a tune if I can hum it well first. But I don't really sing while playing my fiddle.
Yes, that is difficult. Incompatible postures. When my kin and I present our ridiculous bluegrass shtick at family beach-week, I only
sing between riffs. My singing is on par with my fiddling. I won't say what that means.
I would love the ridiculous bluegrass shtick. Sounds like a grand time.

It is the posture, and when I think about it, most people who do sing while fiddling aren't actually fiddling while they sing. They take the fiddle away first, sing their bit, then commence fiddling after they are done singing.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Wowee. I was going to say "why does he even have a chin rest?" then he went and stuck the fiddle up under his chin for the final sweep.
That was quite interesting. I've seen players hold the fiddle lower, but sometimes he had it on his elbow. Quite a technique.

Well. Guess the posture excuse is shot. :lol:
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

izzarina wrote:
emmline wrote:
I would love the ridiculous bluegrass shtick. Sounds like a grand time.

It is the posture, and when I think about it, most people who do sing while fiddling aren't actually fiddling while they sing. They take the fiddle away first, sing their bit, then commence fiddling after they are done singing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8v_L2J3E3I

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

emmline wrote:Wowee. I was going to say "why does he even have a chin rest?" then he went and stuck the fiddle up under his chin for the final sweep.
That was quite interesting. I've seen players hold the fiddle lower, but sometimes he had it on his elbow. Quite a technique.

Well. Guess the posture excuse is shot. :lol:
I'm not willing to dismiss my excuses so quickly ;) Notice that he doesn't do his real playing until he does tuck it under his chin on that final sweep. Before that, his playing seems to be limited to mostly rhythm type playing which doesn't require a whole lot of movement on the fingerboard. So there! I stand by my contentions :D But that's only because I don't like to have my excuses as to why I can't do something taken away.

My question is how does he do anything on the fingerboard when the fiddle is down like that? Your fiddle hand is already in an odd position when you play regularly. It looks even more odd down like that :boggle:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Well, bleh. He does have it under his chin the whole time, doesn't he? :lol: STILL!!! He doesn't do any of his major playing when he is singing. Maybe there is a shred of this excuse I can hold on to yet.... ;) He's also sitting, which could make the difference in terms of the posture. I hadn't thought about doing that....I was thinking about it from a standing position.

On a bit of a different note (yeah, yeah...I know)....at the end, when he is doing the major fiddling, it sounds like he's playing something a bit different; like he's incorporated another tune into the ending of the first. Does anyone else hear that, or is it just me? I'm not as good at identifying such things as many others here are, and I very well could be wrong. It just sounds very familiar to me.

Both clips were excellent, btw. I really enjoyed them! :thumbsup:
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi izzarina

Here are a some more from the same concert - no singing and playing the fiddle in them, but Claire Mann playing fiddle and flute as a substitute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEoy0VN4e2A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-4M7H86xJQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6K8Vxun_B0

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps