Whistle warmer??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LOUPOTT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whistle warmer??

Post by LOUPOTT »

Hi everyone,

I have been a member for a while but haven't posted before so, here goes, and no sniggering!!

Whistle warmers-is there such a thing? When i'm playing a gig or session and swapping from my high D overton to another whistle for a few tunes, the overton goes cold and we have had to swap the set around to accomodate this as much as possible. Someone suggested bringing along a hot water bottle for it the next time???!!! Is there such a thing as a whistle warmer-what does everyone else do?!

All the best, Louise.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Whistle warmer??

Post by brewerpaul »

Just stick it in your pocket, head first. Body warmth will do the trick.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Yes ... Apart from anatomical warming :wink:, past suggestions here have also included hot water bottles, heating pads, wheaties, and electric sock warmers / hand warmers.

In a session or gig, unless swapping instruments on tunes within sets, I find there's always time between sets to warm up the instrument while chattering or announcing the next set. A minute or less in the hands ... that is, really wrapping your warm hands around the tube ... and a few long blows into the windway while covering the window, ought to do the trick. Even a thick-walled Overton D warms up pretty quickly that way, though I agree that Overtons seem happiest when they're played fairly warm.

Of course, if you do a lot of switching, you might consider using a thinner walled whistle. Generations etc. are easy to warm up.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

There has been a couple of threads on this subject, I copy one of my answers from the other threads here and hope this is helpful.

If you have access to power on stage, get yourself a little neck warming blanket, possibly 20 Dollars or so in price, set on the right temperatur and put the whistles on it, this will keep them in playing temperature. No power access then one of these plastic jelly bags for cooling or heating down might do the job, too they will just loose heat during the gig. A friend who often plays in churches has this little heating blanket inside a whistle case and it works well, Colin has bought himself one for this reason.

To warm up the head quickly like said before, put your finger over the vent hole and blow hard a few times, this will warm the head up, too. If you do this before you play and also when you stop playing to clear out any humidity caught in there, you should have little problems if any temperature related. With a high D being so small, it should be very quick warmed up with blowing through (no forget to put the finger over the vent when blowing hard)

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Every Tin Whistler is born with 2 whistle warmers called arm pits. I don't suggest holding your whistle between your legs because this makes it very difficult to walk. People will also assume you are doing "The Pee-Pee Dance" :shock:

Realistically...warm water for the plastic/metal models and any form of dry air heat (hair dryer?) for the wooden models.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
sackbut

Post by sackbut »

When I was a small boy half a century ago, a favourite trick in my age-group was to grasp someone's wrist with both hands, then move the grasping hands in opposite directions in a kind of pipe-wrench movement. The skin friction generated considerable heat, and this was known as giving someone a 'Chinese burn' (we were very politically incorrect back then).

I find the Chinese burn technique warms a whistle quite quickly - much quicker than a string player retuning, anyway. However my home-made whistles are almost all-metal (small wooden plug), pretty sturdy, and very low value. The technique might not improve a delicate, high-tech, or expensive whistle.
dean

Post by dean »

I too often swap instruments during sets. I find that slipping the unused whistle(s) slightly under my thigh keeps them warm enough and within easy reach. Having said this I do not recall ever seeing any of the "pro" whistle players I have seen do anything more than set their load-o-whistles somewhere that they will not go rolling off-stage :)
Dean Karres
Piper's Hut Concert Series
http://www.pipers-hut.com/concerts
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

sackbut wrote:I find the Chinese burn technique warms a whistle quite quickly
Never mind the "Chinese" part. Just keep a roaring hibachi on stage, and toss your whistles on the coals between sets. This is particularly effective in warming wooden whistles. And in the case of metal whistles, a few seconds after picking them up you will experience what is known in the tradition as "Hands of Flames". Audiences accustomed to Flatley's "Feet of Flames" will be most impressed and appreciative.

Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

sackbut wrote:The skin friction generated considerable heat, and this was known as giving someone a 'Chinese burn' (we were very politically incorrect back then).
Not any more politically correct, but I always knew that as an Indian Rope Burn.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

MTGuru wrote:
sackbut wrote:I find the Chinese burn technique warms a whistle quite quickly
Never mind the "Chinese" part. Just keep a roaring hibachi on stage, and toss your whistles on the coals between sets. This is particularly effective in warming wooden whistles. And in the case of metal whistles, a few seconds after picking them up you will experience what is known in the tradition as "Hands of Flames". Audiences accustomed to Flatley's "Feet of Flames" will be most impressed and appreciative.
Lest you think MT is joking, check http://www.yxayotl.com for an example of a Mexican whistler, Xavier Quijas Yxayotl, who uses this technique....

Cheers,

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Steve Bliven wrote:Lest you think MT is joking, check http://www.yxayotl.com for an example of a Mexican whistler, Xavier Quijas Yxayotl, who uses this technique....
Looks like a bong to me. Gives a whole new meaning to "getting high on music."
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
starstutu

Post by starstutu »

I always use a large heating pad to warm up my whistles. And you can keep it on during a set. My heating pad can accommodate about 8 whistles, up to low D. It costs about $25 to $30.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I have this problem for my low D, which will not fit where I warm my high D (handy little pocket in center of chest :D )
I'm seriously thinking of inserting a warming pocket into the lower leg of some good pants to try to remedy that.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

anniemcu wrote:I have this problem for my low D, which will not fit where I warm my high D (handy little pocket in center of chest :D )
Yeah, we're still waiting for a picture of that, Annie.

riverman

Post by riverman »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:Every Tin Whistler is born with 2 whistle warmers called arm pits. I don't suggest holding your whistle between your legs because this makes it very difficult to walk. People will also assume you are doing "The Pee-Pee Dance" :shock:

Realistically...warm water for the plastic/metal models and any form of dry air heat (hair dryer?) for the wooden models.
:lol: :lol:
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.