Lavalier microphones (was: Frequency spectrum of flutes)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Lavalier microphones (was: Frequency spectrum of flutes)

Post by Cathy Wilde »

If it eases the pain any, I remember hearing Kevin Crawford say his standard response to various audio experiments is "You can try whatever you want, but in the performance I'll be playing through an SM-58." Such a quaint old dinosaur is Kevin! ;-)

I should mention another reason I like being able to back off the mic: sound guys who are convinced flutes should be waaaay out in front, preferably with lots and lots and lots of reverb. Feh.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Michel

Post by Michel »

hi Gabriel

have you ever tried this one?
http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Products/ ... 93_content

I had it for 3 years, and it was really good, especialy if used with a windscreen. then I forgot it on stage somewhere.. :tomato: :tomato: and bought the microvox!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

FWIW, I've had my Microvox system for about 4 years now, and whilst it hasn't had heavy use, it is all fine and seems perfectly reliable to me - I can't speak to the electronic quality of the components, but the belt pack seems robust enough to me....... I know several accordion/melodeon players who use Microvox systems utilising the same belt pack who are perfectly happy with them. I also sometimes use it with my bodhran - strap the mic to the top end of the cross-bar and it does a grand job, although the mic is specifically optimised for flutes, not drums.

The velcro attachment works very well on flutes and large whistles and there isn't too much transference of finger thud or key clatter. Once or twice I've been able to use the Microvox in tandem with a medium range stand mic (don't ask me what - I'm not that PA techno minded - presumably some kind of condenser): stand L of mic stand, with flute about 30-50cm/12-18" from the mic - and get both the close miking sound from the strap on at the embouchure and the more developed sound from the whole instrument to the stand mic - best of both worlds, much more "natural" sound........

My only real criticism of the Microvox is that I'd like to redesign the shape of the swan neck and the way the cable leads away from it so that it is better suited to use on small instruments.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Michel

Post by Michel »

I've been told about the bad components by the guy who fixed my mic. Same thing happened to a friend who bought the fiddle mic after trying mine. the sound quality is great though, better than lots of more expensive microphones, and they are cheap, so it's fine for me..
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

The Microvox system is powered by battery only, right? So no possibility to use the mixing desk's phantom power? Or am I missing something?
Michel

Post by Michel »

phantom power on the desk have to be turned off on your line from the desk. the mic doesn't work if you have the phantom turned on, and you might ruin it.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Michel wrote:phantom power on the desk have to be turned off on your line from the desk. the mic doesn't work if you have the phantom turned on, and you might ruin it.
That's right. But you can use a direct (DI) box to isolate the mic. The Microvox uses a 1/4 inch cable output, so a DI box is a good way to run a low-Z XLR mic cable to the board (desk) anyway.

But yes, the Microvox box runs on an internal 9V battery, and can't use phantom power. I must say, though, that the battery seems to last a long, long time (dozens of hours).
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I'll vouch for the battery life - mine is still running happily on the original supplied with it - and although it doesn't get regular or heavy use, when on stage/in use I don't tend to bother turning it off when not actrually playing to it - during intervals etc. Must have done well over 36 hours total by now. I always carry spares, both rechargeable and single use (need one for my tuner too). As already said, you don't have to worry about phantom power up-line to it from the desk if you go in to that direct on a 1/4" jack instrument lead, which is what the output from the belt pack is. I've plugged that into DI boxes on occasion too - no probs. I have a decent quality 6m instrument lead I use with it.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I use a Nady DKW-1 with a headset mic and it works great for my purposes - church and the occasional loud Irish pub. The headset mike sits above the airstream, so you can avoid some of the "hiss" I hear in other methods. Also, the system is VERY cheap - I just checked and there is a new one on eBay for $80. It does require a power outlet for the base station, but the wireless part works on a 9-volt battery.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

I too use a lavaliere type mic (a high end Shure omni that I love) so I can move around. I can't seem to stay put in front of a stationary mic - not to mention the stiff neck at the end of a long gig. Anyway, my solution to switching quickly between flutes and whistles is pictured below. It is a cannibalized clip-on tuner thingy. I took off the tuner cord stuff and was left with a spring loaded clip that fits everything I've got.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

After quite a bit of a see-saw I got myself a Sennheiser Blackfire 541 which is technically identical to the legendary MD 441. The technical side has been unchanged since 1971, but it delivers by far the best flute sound I encountered during my week-long testing sessions. No piercing hiss noise at all and a fat, broad yet brilliant and bright sound without any need of EQ'ing. Furthermore I can add as much gain as I want, no feedback noise at all, and I don't need to glue myself to the mic. Great stuff, totally recommended...

When buying new, the mic costs almost 800 euros. You can get used ones on ebay for far less, usually about 250 euro. They sometimes have tuchel connectors (the XLR versions reach higher prices), but adaptor cables are available and often already included with the mic.
onkel

Post by onkel »

Congrats Gabe! And welcome to the club!!!

Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Glad you found something that works for you Gabriel. For those still looking, and in the market for a mic a bit less expensive than what Gabriel got: A couple of years ago I asked Shannon Heaton what she was using and she mentioned the Countryman Microphone. She didn't know the model number off hand, but it seems they only make one instrument mic, which is this one http://www.countryman.com/store/product ... =3&catid=6 They also make a flute specific mic clip and windscreens.

Loren
Michel

Post by Michel »

that Sennheiser mic sounds interesting! the MD441 it's probably the best dynamic mic, and also looks class! I tried it many times as a PA guy I work with often has one of these.. If this Blackfire looks similar to the MD441 make sure to get a proper mic holder, as universal clips don't work well on these squared mics..
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Actually the Blackfire 541 looks exactly the same, it's just, well, black. :) I also got the mic clip with it, so no problem at all.

Here's a MD 441:

...and here a BF 541:

It also doesn't have the five-way bass roll-off switch, which means that the 541 always works in linear mode. It has the brilliance switch, though.