Low D for weak hands?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dagoose
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been a member for years. I haven't been very active but would like to sell a few whistles to help pay for medical costs. Over the years I have purchased several high end whistles that I rarely play now. My hands are contracted with arthritis and I can no longer play my low whistles. I also have some high D's that I don't play enough to warrant keeping in my condition.

Low D for weak hands?

Post by dagoose »

I have an older Overton low D that has lovely sound but it's a bit heavy for me. I've got tendinitis and pain in my joints but I really want to play the low D. Can anyone suggest a lighter weight low whistle that I might be able to manage in my condition? I think I prefer metal over composite but am open to suggestions.

Thank you!
-------
dagoose
Thomaston

Re: Low D for weak hands?

Post by Thomaston »

It's not metal, butI got a Susato low D today that is very light-weight.
gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

A Burke Viper low D in aluminum is very light.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

The Burke composite low whistles are amazingly light.
Alternatively, you could either get/make a thumb rest which makes a heavier whistle easier to play or install some sort of ring to the back of the whistle and use a saxophone neck cord to support the whistle.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Right, Paul, I was also going to suggest a secondary support: thumb rest, or neck strap, or thumb strap.

Actually, a tenor or baritone sax neck strap is long enough to hook the bell end of the whistle without an attachment ring. Pancelticpiper here has been using this for a while with some success.

My own idea for a compact thumb strap is here:
viewtopic.php?t=56767

And Michael Mahan devised a simple thumb rest for his low D:
viewtopic.php?t=56770

Dagoose: Your Overton is a really a special instrument IMO - THE classic low D - and it would be a shame not to play it because of tendonitis. It's amazing how light it can feel with some extra support that lets you relax your grip, relieve your sore fingers, and concentrate on playing. I'd give one of these inexpensive solutions a try before giving up on it.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dagoose
Tell us something.: I have been a member for years. I haven't been very active but would like to sell a few whistles to help pay for medical costs. Over the years I have purchased several high end whistles that I rarely play now. My hands are contracted with arthritis and I can no longer play my low whistles. I also have some high D's that I don't play enough to warrant keeping in my condition.

Post by dagoose »

Dagoose: Your Overton is a really a special instrument IMO - THE classic low D - and it would be a shame not to play it because of tendonitis. It's amazing how light it can feel with some extra support that lets you relax your grip, relieve your sore fingers, and concentrate on playing. I'd give one of these inexpensive solutions a try before giving up on it.
I made a mistake, I have a Howard, not an Overton. (sorry for the confusion) It was a gift from my husband about 15 years ago and I could never make a note on it. It has always been sitting there patiently. Then I started playing again and my friend Ted recently polished it and fixed it with a newer head that was an improvement I did not know about. Suddenly I can play it but not for long before my hands cramp. It's a combination of weight of the whistle and using the right fingering grip. The piper's grip makes it harder to keep the whistle from feeling like I'll drop it.

Thanks for the sugs on straps. I'll look into those links to try and find one. I think that would make all the difference.

Thanks!
-------
dagoose
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Having a Low-D made with a rotatable bottom hole can take stress off the hands. Plastic models keep the weight down.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

A conical or tapered tube may feel more secure too, so I thought maybe the Dixon low D three piece. Then I compared it with a recent Overton - and the Dixon is not noticeably lighter than the Overton. I can do some rough weights (in ounces on our kitchen scales) if you want - few reviews include the weight, so others might chip in with weights of other whistles....

Daniels idea may work here too - the three sections can rotate for more comfort.

I seem to remember MTGuru recommending 'Gorilla Snot'. Make the whistle slightly sticky, with an easy-clean gunk. Probably an easy search on this forum :D

I found the smoothness of the Overton made me feel a little insecure - but I changed to play with the whistle horizontal. That taught me to hold the whistle more gently. My problem was tight grip leading to muscle fatigue and less-than-nimble fingers.

Good luck finding a solution.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I can second the "too tight grip leads to muscle fatigue".

I have a Howard, and like it quite a bit.

But the first month or so I owned it was pure misery because of this. Loosening my frantic clutch of death (and getting comfortable with piper's grip) made a huge difference. Then I had to go through the same process again when I picked up flute because I was just *certain* that it would roll out of my grip.

As hard as it is to convince ourselves, a flute or low whistle really is secure enough when held lightly. If you drop it (I never did, much to my surprise), it was because you weren't gripping it correctly, not because you weren't gripping it hard enough. And it is actually HARDER, not easier, to seal the holes with a too-tight grip.

Relax. Be happy. :)
dagoose

Post by dagoose »

thanks everyone, I have a solution I think based on the great advice. I used the same fabric that I made the case for to make a strap. I found a large paper clip that I could use as my 'hook' and I have a little helper to hold the whistle. I blasted through Lark in the Morning but hope to some day be able to play it better. I can relax my hands now and they did not wear out as fast. I have to practice arm position and grip but this was such big help.

:D
-------
dagoose
tin-titan

Post by tin-titan »

Dagoose, You sure have charmed that ferocious lil hummer. They are so aggressive towards each other. I get ruby throats only here in MD. I love birds. I have seen Pileated Woodpeckers in my suburban yard a couple of times. My parakeet is tough also. She is very surly when she wants to be. To me, birds are like otherworldly angels sent to us to make us realize the transcendental nature of life. I need to go wax my car instead of poetic.
"Wake up your bones,
Tune up your drones,
Let flee that heavenly tone."
dagoose

Post by dagoose »

Dagoose, You sure have charmed that ferocious lil hummer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvEMKU2zxmk
Hi Tin-Titan,
Ah, I wonder how many whistlers are also bird people. Whistling is the closest I'll get to sounding like a bird. We've got occasional pileated woody sightings here but you can hear them more often banging their heads like a jack hammer of in the distance. The Allen's hummers are migrating now and we are getting a lot of visitation to our feeders. I love their little put-put flight sound. (We've got a cockatiel, parrotlet and 5 ducks.)
All the best,
-------
dagoose
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

dagoose wrote:We've got a cockatiel, parrotlet and 5 ducks.
What, no ... goose?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
dagoose

Post by dagoose »

What, no ... goose?
I'm dagoose!
I love geese but I love ducks more.
-------
dagoose