Grey Larsen and tone.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Grey Larsen and tone.

Post by jemtheflute »

Denny wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:Is he on any of the WFO CDs?
first WFO 2nd CD
I guess that shows how much of an impression he made on me, then...... though, to be fair, I've only listened to my WFO CDs - and yes, I have all 3 sets, being obsessed - about three times each. I don't remember most of the other contributors either. I think the series is a fantastic and useful reference document, but they aren't particularly listenable as albums.

Back on topic, it seems the OP doesn't like the classic ITM flute sound which is, so far as we can tell, a survivor/offshoot of the C19th English, Nicholsonian classical school of technique and sound ideal. Fair enough. I don't really know what Grey Larsen sounds like and I'm therefore not knocking him, but it would seem that if the OP doesn't like the established, mainstream sound ideal for ITM, he must prefer something more akin to the modern Franco-American classical school which dominates orchestral/Bohm flute playing, derived predominantly from the late C19th French school. It's an old controversy and aesthetic dichotomy, with fluctuations and swings in fashion and style-dominance over time. I've said before that I think Jimmy Galway (and his disciples) with his richer, more powerful tone represents a partial swing back towards the old English sound.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

that was on topic....

if he sounded real weird wouldn't you remember him?
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Like all the other holidays, April 1st seems to happen sooner and sooner every year.
William Bajzek
treeshark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by treeshark »

I don't really ever listen to the flute playing, I think the beard quality is the most important factor, that's why trolls are great fluters.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

treeshark wrote:I don't really ever listen to the flute playing, I think the beard quality is the most important factor, that's why trolls are great fluters.
And there I was thinking it was the flattering acoustics under bridges and in mountain caverns.........

To those who suspect the OP is a stooge, is this thread a case of Grand Larseny?

:lol:
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

jemtheflute wrote:To those who suspect the OP is a stooge, is this thread a case of Grand Larseny? :lol:
... seems a bit of a Grey area to me.

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Ceili_whistle_man
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

jcboydilis wrote;
I don't know why all of you are attacking me
We aren't, well at least I am not, I can't vouch for the others here, it's a bit hard to read what tone is intended just by looking at words without hearing them spoken.
And this;
some of you have really hurt my feelings.
...and what about our feelings? You didn't honestly think that you could make such a ridiculously sweeping statement as you did and not have people comment on it?
If you think Grey Larsen is the dogs bollocks, then fair play to you, but please don't try to quantify his ability by dumping on other players expressiveness, tone and whatever else you think is lacking in everyones playing, bar Grey's.

Here is another way of approaching your post; substitute Grey Larsen with 'God', and let's say it's Islam's 'God' we are talking about.
How would this statement sound to your ears?;
I love my God. He's the only God who's truly expressive, I think. Unfortunately I think a lot of Gods don’t call out to me. My God doesn't make this mistake at all. He really calls to me. I used to like other Gods, but after hearing my God for the first time all those guys are kind of rushed and very pedestrian in their approach.
Before being introduced to my God’s voice I REALLY struggled with my praying. Now I close my eyes and look up at the ceiling. I have found that this gives a nice consistent, very pretty prayer, not ugly and harsh like many others Gods prayers. Just thought I'd share this: If you want a nice God, cover your ears and don’t listen to the other Gods.

:D
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

The irony is, of course, that Grey Larsen himself would never subscribe to such a categorical, judgmental, narrow-minded take on other players.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

It's ridiculous to say - so ridiculous it's got to be a pretense, surely? - that people's posts on this thread have "hurt [his] feelings". I mean, for heaven's sake!

Ceili_whistle_man puts it well in his last post. Putting my own slant on it, I think what the OP was saying amounts to "Grey Larsen is the only fluter in the Irish style worth listening to - if you're listening to anyone else you're stupid". That was the implication, at any rate. The interesting thing is, and I think I can safely say this even though I HAVEN'T listened to Grey Larsen, the OP obviously doesn't think that Grey Larsen is playing in the Irsih style at all. In fact, the OP doesn't even like the Irish style, which is why he likes Grey Larsen. That is precisely why I felt able to say that I now know that it wouldn't be worth my while listening to Grey Larsen. (Of course, I may be wrong, because it's entirely possible that the OP doesn;t know what he is talking about.) According to the OP's analysis, Mr Larsen clearly can't play Irish flute music.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

It's really just a silly post at best....
Arbo
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

I'm not sure why this poster is being taken seriously. Seriously. As for Jesus, I am friends with Jesus, who used to work as a porter in my building. Jesus Gonzales is a friend of mine, but not a flute player. Whistles well. Whistles better than most people, and really has cornered the market on this sound. In fact, after Jesus Gonzales, I can't even listen to "Whistlin'" Jack Smith's Winchester Cathedral anymore... Abrasive and pedestrian. Catchy tune, though.
Jose' Scotte' Este'
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Jose' Scotte' Este' »

A serious forum flogging. Can we let this guy come up for air, or shall we hold his head under the water a bit longer?
"Luck is important"
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

MTGuru wrote:The irony is, of course, that Grey Larsen himself would never subscribe to such a categorical, judgmental, narrow-minded take on other players.
True enough. A look at his "Essentials of Irish Flute and Whistle" transcriptions shows a very wide spectrum of players, indeed. Grey is well aware of the vast array of style choices available in ITM fluting. I think his choices are one based on his own sensibilities and perhaps a drive towards originality.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

MTGuru wrote:The irony is, of course, that Grey Larsen himself would never subscribe to such a categorical, judgmental, narrow-minded take on other players.
This is absolutely true - and I can verify it! I actually told him that he is my favorite player (when he stayed at our house after a gig) and he seemed a bit surprised. He is actually quite humble and gracious... and an excellent teacher as well.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
paddler

Post by paddler »

I think its a little unfortunate that the original post, which seems silly to me and is probably just someone playing a practical joke on us all, has resulted in a bit of a Grey Larsen bashing session. This is particularly unfortunate given that Grey has made some tremendous contributions including his books, musical compositions, recordings and concerts. I don't know him personally, but I have bought and listened to several of his CDs and have read his book and it seems to me that he is not only a very talented player and composer, but also highly aware and respectful of other players and their playing styles. His treatment of this topic in his book is a great contribution in and of itself. So I think we should probably lighten up a bit on the criticism of Grey, especially if we haven't heard his music or playing or read his writings.