The Big Joe Blake ..

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
weedie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Big Joe Blake ..

Post by weedie »

G'day all,
I just though you might like to see another one of Australia's cute and cuddly creatures....The non-venomous Diamond Python..
This pic was taken a few years ago at Gloucester,N.S.W about an hours drive away from me on the East Coast....what a beauty eh !!

" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
emmline
antispam: No

Re: The Big Joe Blake ..

Post by emmline »

It's going to get run over. I hope it hurried.
weedie

Post by weedie »

I hope not Emm.......It'b be just awful to run over a beautiful thing like that...
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

It's kind of.......big :boggle:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

???? I thought everything in Australia was venomous. You've got a venomous mammal there, fercrissakes! Oh, and the 1" octopus that can kill a human. And the funnel-web spider. Which can kill a human. And which I believe is in major metropolitan areas now.

How did you get a non-venomous snake? ;)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

weedie wrote:G'day all,
I just though you might like to see another one of Australia's cute and cuddly creatures....The non-venomous Diamond Python..
This pic was taken a few years ago at Gloucester,N.S.W about an hours drive away from me on the East Coast....what a beauty eh !!

Slugs I cycle over..

That one would take twice..too be sure...etc.

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
djm

Post by djm »

Man, that's a lot of koalas! :o

djm
Last edited by djm on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote: Slugs I cycle over..
even the thought of going near it gives me the heebies.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

chas wrote:???? I thought everything in Australia was venomous. You've got a venomous mammal there, fercrissakes! Oh, and the 1" octopus that can kill a human. And the funnel-web spider. Which can kill a human. And which I believe is in major metropolitan areas now.

How did you get a non-venomous snake? ;)
With all those other nasty critters, why would they need a venomous snake?
Heck, the snakes can just be another version of buzzards and clean up the leftovers from the victims of all the poison poppers.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

In Jamaica in the seventies (and maybe now, but I don't know) the local term for what Canadians call a 'speed bump' was 'sleeping policeman', which I've always thought was charming. Do Australians talk about 'sunning pythons'?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Iss pretty, yesssssssss...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
weedie

Post by weedie »

Yes we do have some nasty critters here....
The Sydney Funnel-web has killed quite a few folks over the years and is a most unpleasant,agro spider...before they strike,they spread their two front legs so the bitey bit has a good access to their prey...My mate caught one in his lounge room only last week....and to see it in the jar,reared up and ready for action is a very scary sight.....even if it IS in a jar....
And..... the Blue Ringed octopus is very tiny,only about 3'' across...It is a very pretty thing,but deadly causing paralysis then......party over ...
I'm not sure what the Big Joe Blake (ryhming slang=snake) is doing Simon.....he looks like he's in transit to me.....on his way home after a hard day maybe...I hope he was'nt sunbaking,not there anyway.....
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

weedie wrote: I'm not sure what the Big Joe Blake (ryhming slang=snake) is doing Simon.....he looks like he's in transit to me.....on his way home after a hard day maybe...I hope he was'nt sunbaking,not there anyway.....
I worked out the rhyming slang.

I dunno about antipodal snakes, but sunning is the typical explanation for road-killed snakes hereabouts. My guess was the snake in the photo had been sunning, likely in a slightly more coil-like posture at the left of the photo, but the car's arrival had disturbed it and it was in the process of leaving.
Described as semi-arboreal, they are largely nocturnal, climbing trees and shrubs as well as crossing open areas such as rock faces, forest floors and even roads. However, basking behavior is commonly observed.
Wikipedia seems to agree: travelling is more likely to occur at night, while sunning happens by day.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

When you are that big you don't need venom.
It's the smaller snakes around here that are nasty little 'bar stewards'. I once disturbed a juvenile copperhead snake while moving a piece of H-beam at work. The little bugger was ready to go 10 rounds with me, reared up and lunged at me several times before slinking off but not before stopping three or four times to look around at me as if he was saying 'C'mon then, you want some of this then? lets be having you c'mon!' It would have been a bit embarrassing having to explain to my workmates that I was beaten up by something as big as a shoelace.
:lol:
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Even non-venemous snakes will bluff by faking a strike. In Ontario, the Milk Snake has a pattern that looks a bit like a Massassauga rattlesnake. If disturbed, it'll rear up as if about to strike and even vibrate its rattle-less tail in dry leaves to fake a rattle.

C.S. Lewis