Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Devondancer update

Post by anniemcu »

Hey, there's a gem in every family! Salutes to NNS - New New Stick! :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Cork

Post by Cork »

devondancer wrote:...Apparently there are chips of bone digging into nerves and tendons and other bits are out of place.

...but it does seem to need surgery...
Frankly, Lesley, a newer new stick is all well and good.

However, and here I speak from experience, please, the time is now for you to explore possible alternatives.

Don't put it off 'till tomorrow, and don't wait for a brighter day, or perhaps temporary nerve damage could become permanent nerve damage.
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Don't worry, Cork, I am not putting it off! The problem is getting all the right people to agree that I am not too bad a surgery risk! We have pretty much convinced my own consultant, who now has to get an orthopaedic surgeon to agree to operate and an anaesthetist to agree to anaesthetise me! Now, after all the practice they've had over the last few months you wouldn't think that was too difficult, would you? We do actually have a provisional surgery date, April 7th, but these people have as yet only agreed in principle, so nothing is definite. I really want it done, as I cannot even play my whistles at the moment, but I do understand their point. They have their own statistics etc, the hospital has its reputation, ..... I cannot ask them to do it if they are not happy with it, but I hope to convince them that I am strong enough. If not, I shall have to learn the tabor pipe, I suppose!

So, lots of walking in the interim, to get built up and pink! And lots of ice cream!! And how lucky that Elbow Crutch's cousin, known as EC2, seems to be an amenable chap and actually enjoys walking! No sign of a pirate hat, or a parrot, but I'm pretty sure I saw a nurse's watch on his front earlier, before he tucked it out of sight. Well, if he's a nurse, of course he will be friendly and helpful and amenable! Just like me! We may become great friends yet! So, Mute, what's this about "how some people are with sticks?" Yes, I saw it! It's all fine for you: your sticks have all been good and well-behaved. You have never had a rogue stick to deal with. And, of course, you are probably a lot bigger than I am (in fact you definitely are) and can strike terror into any poor stick. Mine are mostly fatter than I am, and heavier! No wonder they get power-crazy! How often does that happen to a stick, after all?

Anyway, I see the consultant again tomorrow and hope to hear that someone will agree to operate. All the checkups that should be done in Cambridge are being done here, so we do not have that long journey for a while, which I do find tiring. It will be good to get that arm back, if I can. No music-playing is a real pain, especially as I can't dance! And the poky bits of bone are a bit of a pain too! I shall be glad to get rid of them. But apart from that, life is good here in Devon. We get out for a walk most days, and this last week has felt like spring, at last. It is lovely to be warm! There are flowers, and trees in bloom, and birds singing.... Devon is a wonderful place. No matter what happens, I am glad to be alive, and still so grateful for the amazing gift of my heart.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Cork has a chain saw.

If ya want to see a stick quiver in terror just walk towards it holding a running chain saw.
Cork

Post by Cork »

devondancer wrote:...Anyway, I see the consultant again tomorrow and hope to hear that someone will agree to operate. All the checkups that should be done in Cambridge are being done here, so we do not have that long journey for a while, which I do find tiring. It will be good to get that arm back, if I can. No music-playing is a real pain, especially as I can't dance! And the poky bits of bone are a bit of a pain too! I shall be glad to get rid of them. But apart from that, life is good here in Devon. We get out for a walk most days, and this last week has felt like spring, at last. It is lovely to be warm! There are flowers, and trees in bloom, and birds singing.... Devon is a wonderful place. No matter what happens, I am glad to be alive, and still so grateful for the amazing gift of my heart.
Brace yourself for the upcoming surgery, perhaps in the next few weeks.

No matter what happens, however, you can always be here for a dose of virtual hand-holding.

Best of luck, to you!

:-)
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Thanks, Cork - I may be glad of that!

Denny, I shall hold the chain saw in reserve, just in case ....
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

devondancer wrote:Thanks, Cork - I may be glad of that!

Denny, I shall hold the chain saw in reserve, just in case ....
ummm... let's let Ro hold the chainsaw... K?

:P
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

:snerk: yeah, good idea......can he look menacing?
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

You just think I'll cut my own legs off, don't you?!!

NO ONE could look as menacing towards SS as I can - although Ro does a fair job!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Aye, you need a firm hand, with a stick.

Good luck, there, Lesley!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Lesley, if you want to intimidate your sticks without resorting to something as violent and destructive as a chainsaw, may I suggest a dog? I have a Labrador retriever who would love to put the "bite" on SS for you. He would carry SS around and keep it under control so it can't escape and bother you. The only problem might be that, if you toss SS away from you, the dog will keep bringing it back. :D

If you want something that IS as violent and destructive as a chain saw to your stick, but doesn't require fossil fuel, is reasonably quiet, and can double as a footwarmer, I can offer a different Labrador, my current foster dog. She is only a year old and still has a strong urge to chew, and she likes shredding sticks. :thumbsup:
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Great idea, Sarah! When we go for walks we often meet dogs, many of whom show great interest in whichever stick is tormenting me at the time. I shall offer the next one a bite, but not of the new, well-behaved (so far) EC2. He is still being good - we might even become friends! See, mute, it is not me at all: it was the sticks all the time!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

It might not be ALL you but I think it's ALL up to you to get a new attitude about the stick. A stick doesn't need to be hated or tamed or mastered. A stick is to be loved and partnered.

If I would have needed my stick long-term, I would have embedded glass stones and other stuff into my stick. I would have made my stick magic. Have you considered stickers and other ways to meld your personality into your stick?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Berti66 »

reading up................
aw, that POOR stick! what mean plans you all are brooding on here, while it is only doing it's best for Lesley.
I already see that chainsaw coming but the labrador beats it all.

Good, lesley that you now do have a new, puppy stick that behaves much better.
I agree, make it a "magical stick" .............everyone will envy you for the stick and the wonders you work with it.
yes I am serious, work truly magic would be nice, wouldn't it?
imagine all the good things you could do with the magic stick.
and those old magicians all carried a stick, remember.............even a big one!

I hope the hospital soon decides about the surgery and you will come out of that brand new and kicking!
Think that at least I can understand a little bit what it must be like without being able to play.
Sending love your way.

berti
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Yes, new stick - EC2 - continues to behave and we are rapidly becoming good friends. I might even find him some adornment, as you suggest. But would you, honestly, have decorated Stupid Stick, rewarded him for trying to kill you at every opportunity? I think not. I do appreciate that I do not want a stick at all, but I also accept the fact that a stick is necessary, at the moment. But ... there are sticks and sticks, as is proven by the fact that EC2 and I are getting on well and having no problems. If anyone would like to meet Stupid Stick I would be delighted to send him - if he doesn't break out and escape on the journey. You try him - you will see ....!

Anyway, another scan on Monday, and the anaesthetist saw me Thursday and is happy to operate in April as long as I stay well. The scan will show exactly what has to be done, and my own consultant and the orthopaedic surgeon will then decide what, if anything, they are prepared to do. I hope they decide to go ahead, but this is not something I can force; I appreciate the risks and if they are not happy to take them then I will respect their decision. I just hope they decide to give it a try! I need to be able to play something - a whistle, a guitar, a keyboard .... Lazing around is nowhere near as much fun without music!