T E E N S I N S P A C E !

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

T E E N S I N S P A C E !

Post by s1m0n »

In a strong contender for "science fair project of the year", four spanish high-school students have managed to send a hand-built 1.5 kilo package of electronic sensors aloft in a weather balloon to the edge of space, 20 miles above the earth.

Included was a digital camera, which was recovered after the balloon deflated sending its cargo back to each. The camera's data card survived re-entry and contained the photo below.

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: T E E N S I N S P A C E !

Post by BillChin »

When I was a teenager, I was into model rockets. It was lots of fun, though nothing flew higher than 1000 feet. Of course post 9-11, there are all sorts of permits and such for the hobby now. Progress.

The cameras and gadgets available now are quite something.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Well done them Spanish Students!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

December 4, 2008
Four British teddy bears this week ascended to the outer edges of Earth's atmosphere.

Boldly going where few cuddly toys have gone before, the teddynauts were dressed in special spacesuits designed and made by 11- and 12-year-old pupils from Parkside and Coleridge community colleges as part of a project with Cambridge University's spaceflight student club.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/200 ... ears-space
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

It was like being smothered by a giant dumpling!
Not just scientists, but poets as well. :P
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Simon, there have been times you've irked me, but I have to say that anyone who names a thread after *deep intonation*: P I G S I N S P A C E ! is all right by me. :D

Susan
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

when I was a teen, I didnt need a rocket to get into S P A C E.

Pink Floyd took care of that.... :D
Last edited by CHasR on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Well, at first I broke down the long word teensinspace into teen-sin-space and not teens-in-space, and I thought to myself, oh no, what has Simon found now? I thought that it was going to be some darker variant of Myspace.

Speaking of kids in space, on my evening walk yesterday I passed a young family who were taking advantage of the warm weather and were raking in the yard. A todler was standing near the sidewalk as I approached. Just as I was alongside him, he stomped his foot on a rubber bulb, and a small rocket went rising up into the air, not exactly in space, you understand. Anyway, it kind of startled me. I remember trying to make rockets with my chemistry set. A kid could get into a lot of mischief with a chemistry set. They even supplied the chemicals and gave you the instructions for making gun powder. Can you imagine that today? The personal injury lawyers, that I see advertising on TV, would have a field day.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Yes, mixing blackpowder was fun! Paper rockets made out of weedkiller were also popular, but in my memory a bit more dangerous, as the stuff tended to self-ignite when warm. My pal burned his leg horribly when some of the blotting paper soaked with dissolved weedkiller and carefully dried went off in his trouser pocket in the school yard.

Its a shame kids cannot really experiment with chemistry nowadays. Too much control takes all the excitement and danger away.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

hans wrote:Paper rockets made out of weedkiller were also popular, but in my memory a bit more dangerous, as the stuff tended to self-ignite when warm. My pal burned his leg horribly when some of the blotting paper soaked with dissolved weedkiller and carefully dried went off in his trouser pocket in the school yard.
That'd be enough these days to get you terrorlisted.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Y'all have read this haven't you?

I loved the whole Coalwood series by Homer Hickham- very authentic as far as the coal camp life, coal mining part. I can't vouch for the rocket makin' part.

Oh and the movie based on it was good too- October Sky
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Cowtime, you didn't mention that Homer was a West Virginian from the coalfields. It's the law!

My older brothers clued me in that being a member of the rocket club got you out of class a couple of times a years. I always bought the models with the fins pre-built. I was lazy and not very skilled at crafting things that required exactness.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Wish I had done this when I was a teen... back then, my folks wouldn't let my sister and I out of the cave, fearing we'd get trampled by a Wooly Mamoth.
djm

Post by djm »

JES wrote:back then, my folks wouldn't let my sister and I out of the cave, fearing we'd get trampled by a Wooly Mamoth.
And it shows. :D

I did this one year (Gr 7?). All I remember is that I ended up on retrieval team, standing up to my knees in a muddy field on a cold and drizzly day. The control centre and launch pad was at the top of the hill. We were way down at the bottom and out a ways. We couldn't hear when a rocket had been fired, but we could hear the screams as the owners at the top demanded we find their precious bit of burned-up cardboard tube.

The retrieval team had limited success that year. So did my attempts at science.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:
The retrieval team had limited success that year. So did my attempts at science.

djm
... perhaps it was for the best. :D

Me, I always thought that I would end up as a science experiment instead of being an active participant in one. So far, my convictions have held true to form. :lol: