OT: OT (OT Squared)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I really don't have any problem with OT posts, particularly when they are marked as such, and maintain the thing about basic civility & respect. I think they add to the overall sense of fun & community. As long as Rich doesn't mind, I don't.

Dale
Dana

Post by Dana »

Forgive my ignorance... What does "OT" mean?
:oops:
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I believe it means "off topic." (Or perhaps "out of town.")

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

On 2003-01-14 12:44, dhigbee wrote:
Off-Topic; i.e. anything posted on the whistle board that's not related to whistles.

I agree that they add to the fun of the boards, and I don't really think there has been any big problem of OT misuse.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

P.S. Sorry, Marguerite, I didn't see your post when I wrote this. --JP

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: peeplj on 2003-01-14 12:47 ]</font>
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

OT means "off topic".

Dale, I don't know. We'll see what Rich has to say, but let me tell you a little story about where the OT-stuff will land you.

There once was an old friendly man, who felt that each should be happy according to their own designs, that there was room enough in the world for everyone's whims and interests. He had lived all his life by that philosophy and was comfortable enough in his old age, living as he did in a little cottage by the edge of the woods.

Then more and more people started moving to the edge of the woods. Young people, carless and whimsical people: They worked the fields and tended the animals, yes, but they sometimes forgot. They lost and broke things on occasion.

When they had forgotten to bring in the grain before the rain, or had broken a deep crock from the larder, the new, young people came to the old man living in his cottage.

"You are off comfortably enough, old man, here in your cottage," they would say, "and we have no grain for our bread, and we broke the deep crock from our larder. Share what you have with us!"

The old man, who liked to think that everybody should be happy according to their own designs, invited them in and offered them freely from his larder and his pantry. The young people thanked him, but they still sometimes forgot to bring the crop in before the weather, and they sometimes broke or lost what they needed. And so the young, carefree people came to the old man many times and took grain and crocks from the old man's larder.

It wasn't long before the autumn's storms turned cold and brought snow. The long winter had arrived and supplies were short.

Then one wintery day, the old man woke to find that his pantry was empty, and there was no grain, no bread and no butter for him to eat in the larder. He had given it all away to the young people. So the old man put on his coat and went to the new houses of the young people, intending to ask them for grain for his bread and a deep crock from their larder.

When the old man came to young people's house and asked them for what he needed, they laughed. Then they clapped him on the back, and made him come in and sit by the warm fire. They took his coat and they brought breads and butter, wine and ale, fruits and nuts in plenty. All the neighbors came to share in the plenty. Then they all whipped out their whistles and fiddles, concertinas and pipes, and citterns and harmonicas, and many more instruments. They got some fresh ale, locked the bodhran players in the basement, and had a great session that lasted until Spring when the snow melted. And their laughter could be heard far over the fields.

The end.
/Bloomfield
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

On 2003-01-14 12:44, dhigbee wrote:
Occupational Therapy.

Steve
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

On 2003-01-14 13:14, Bloomfield wrote:
......They got some fresh ale, locked the bodhran players in the basement, and had a great session......
I do not want to stay in the cellar!!! :sad:

:wink: Brigitte
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2003-01-14 13:22, Goldie wrote:
......They got some fresh ale, locked the bodhran players in the basement, and had a great session......
I do not want to stay in the cellar!!! :sad:

:wink: Brigitte
Hehehe. :smile:

OK, I'll let you out, but only if you promise to play your didgideridoo only during Kid on the Mountain and Kesh Jig. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloomfield on 2003-01-14 13:29 ]</font>
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2003-01-14 12:47, peeplj wrote:
P.S. Sorry, Marguerite, I didn't see your post when I wrote this. --JP
No problemo friend--it was a simultaneous posting. When I viewed mine upon submission, there was yours snuggled up next to it.

Another interpretation: OT = Overtime

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Gary

Post by Gary »

Then they all whipped out their whistles and fiddles, concertinas and pipes, and citterns and harmonicas, and many more instruments...

Where's the part about the blues guitarist from SoCal?
slowair

Post by slowair »

I don't have a problem with OT posts.

The thing that always strikes me as odd is the posts for so and so to check their private messages and the post gets viewed thirty times.

Cracks me up to think that people will look at just about anything.
Dana

Post by Dana »

Re: What does OT mean?

I was wondering if it was the Buckwheat (from the Little Rascals) version of "OK." :razz:
serpent

Post by serpent »

OT is a contraction of "OTW" -- "Off The Wall"...
~*~ :wink: Serpie-Pie
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
dlambert

Post by dlambert »

If you do post off topic I think you should be prepared to take some negative comments. Especially if its a controversial or important issue. People gather here as a kind of crossroads for tinwhistling and Irish music. We all have a common interest. If someone wants to interject their feelings about other issues then they should expect and prepare for some disagreement.

If I don't agree with an OT post I try to ignore it. Sometimes, though, (such as Chris' post yesterday) I feel that people post to get a rise. They might think it funny, but others might find it offensive. I guess its up to each of us to decide where that line is. If I think it offsensive or important I won't ignore it and you're going to get some heat.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Don't worry if I repeat myself--put it on sclerosis.
There's only one thing I fear more than censorship. It's self-censorship. Censorship is a sign of repression. Self-censoring is alienation.

Is all--I made it short for once. Don't worry, I'll be back to silliness ASAP.
It's true: I read it on Internet.