OT Neener Neener Neener.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2003-01-13 19:02, Bagfed wrote:
Maybe it was the Hobbit he wrote in the army tent.
With my memory, you can see why I'm a carpenter.
It's been a while for me, too. But what I remember, he wouldn't have started on the Hobbit until the twenties. Tolkien went to Flanders in the Great War, and it was a traumatic experience: of four close school friends, only two returned. He would already have been working on the languages, and early mythology, I think: So, the proto-Silmarillion he may well have written in army tents although I don't remember Carpenter mentioning it (in a Tolkien biography).

Best,
/Bloomfield
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I think y'all guys are misunderestimating ole Tolkien. His stories speak to Italian Communists and Godfearing Americans alike! Still, I can't get beyond the first chapter of the Hobbit! :smile:
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2003-01-13 20:49, Walden wrote:
I think y'all guys are misunderestimating ole Tolkien. His stories speak to Italian Communists and Godfearing Americans alike! Still, I can't get beyond the first chapter of the Hobbit! :smile:
It's alright, Walden: I could never make it through Ecclesiastes. And I'm not even an Italien Communist. :wink:
/Bloomfield
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2003-01-13 20:49, Walden wrote:
A soul-mate! I couldn't get past it, either, until I finished the Trilogy first. The Kidlet ran off with the household set of books and I haven't yet brought myself to spend good whistle-money on another set.

I gave my guitar-playing friend the CDs for both the Hobbit and the Trilogy for Christmas and his birthday a couple of years ago. I had to banish one of the Hobbit CDs from his listen-while-drifting-off-to-sleep list. At the point when Golem started screaming "Precious!" I'd bolt upright, thinking the cats were fighting.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Bagfed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bagfed »

The driest part for me was the endless discription of the baren waste that sam and froto were crossing (for ever) to get to mount doom. I almost didn't make it either.
Life is good. Hard, but good.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

The LotR trilogy was my first, but not my last experience in college of passing a course with flying colors, and never reading the books. I just sprung 14 or so bucks on a 3 in 1 volume...I'm enjoying the first one now.

Never was able to handle the Hobbit. YAWN.
Silmarilion is worse.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I just finished the Hobbit and the thing is it starts off slow, but once you get into it, it's pretty darn good, and you can't help but like poor old Bilbo...

I'm about halfway through Fellowship of the Ring right now. Sam is my favorite character, and not just because of his name. :wink:
Dewhistle

Post by Dewhistle »

I've always choked on the Silmarillion in the past... never made it beyond a few pages. When I was younger, I used to draw a blank somewhere in the Return of the King. Pippin would be riding with Gandalf on Shadowfax, Merry swearing allegiance to Theoden, Sam giving the Ring back to Frodo, and then I'd fade into a blackness interrupted only by flashes of fire, Nazgul, flying heads and Elvish waybread. When I came around to awareness, Faramir would be in the Houses of Healing with Eowyn, Merry with Pippin, and Frodo and Sam trudging starkers up the slopes of Orodruin. The last few times, I've tried to focus, and now I actually have a vague idea who Ghan-Buri-Ghan is. Very vague.
"We took pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed. But we're going back again in a couple of weeks..."
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2003-01-13 21:08, Bagfed wrote:
The driest part for me was the endless discription of the baren waste that sam and froto were crossing (for ever) to get to mount doom. I almost didn't make it either.
Heh, Spam Gangreen and Frito Booger. Yeah, I skipped that whole section too when I read the books.

The Hobbit starts out very much the sort of book you read aloud to childers as a bedtime story, which is of course exactly what it grew from. Very soon it develops, so once you're passed that Troll encounter, that slightly patronising tone is gone, and it's an very fun story.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
TubeDude

Post by TubeDude »

MY PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2003-01-14 09:49, TubeDude wrote:
MY PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!
Cats! Stop that! Oh ... sorry. :grin:

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
joeln

Post by joeln »

I say this is a bit too close for my comfort level. - Joel

The Pentagon Plan to Create Mutant "Super-Soldiers"
by CHRIS FLOYD

The great wizard, leader of the Wise, once known to all the world as a force for good, has turned bitter, fearful--and ambitious. Aping the ways of the evil he once fought--brutality, dominance, greed, terror--he descends to his secret laboratory, where, with black arts of alchemy and fiendish technology, he breeds a race of mutant warriors, "iron bodied and iron willed": fierce fighters who can attack day and night, without rest, their combat spirit kept soaring by spikes of lightning from the wizard's wand.

A scene from Tolkein's Lord of the Rings, where the corrupted wizard Saruman fashions his monstrous Uruk-Hai to wage a relentless, remorseless war for dominion? No; unfortunately it's a very real scheme now being pursued by the Pentagon, whose dope wizards and gene splicers are working on the creation of the "Extended Performance War Fighter," the Daily Telegraph and Christian Science Monitor report.

see:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... stid=70109
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I'll agree that the Silmarillion in particular is very dry reading.

For those stubborn enough to make it through, you are rewarded by the rich tapestry of mythology and legend that Tolkien spent his life creating.

There are times in the book that are deeply moving--the tale of Beren and Luthien comes to mind--, parts where you want it to turn out right so bad and then hang your head when it doesn't (the tale of Turin is strong but all the way through you keep thinking "It Can't End This Way!!!" and it does), and parts that are very stirring (such as the story of Earendil).

The Hobbit I think works best when viewed as a children's story, although it shares the same deep foundation as the LOTR, and offers passing glances at some very deep water indeed, such as the animosity between Elves and Dwarves, the city of Gondolin, and of course the Ring itself.

The LOTR starts in the same tone--a children's story--but quickly "grows up" and moves from the light-hearted description of the Shire to the horror of the Barrow-downs and the Thing that lived in them.

I have read Tolkien's books many times, maybe too many, depending on who you ask! :smile: , and each time I find some little tidbit, some connection or reference I have missed all the other times. I am working my way through the Silmarillion again now for about the tenth time; I have read LOTR probably 30 times since my first time through in 7th grade.

I always thought I was a bit peculiar for my extreme interest in his works; it has been gratifying to find out on the Internet that I am neither so unusual nor so extreme in my interest as I once believed.

And finally, I can't help but recommend Susan Cooper's "The Dark Is Rising" books--another set of books often thought of as "children's books" where the waters run very deep indeed.

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Hey James!

Cool! another Susan Cooper fan. Her books snared my imagination as a kid and I'm planning on getting the whole set for my son.

I also liked the 'White Mountains' series.

- Craig
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

And finally, I can't help but recommend Susan Cooper's "The Dark Is Rising" books--another set of books often thought of as "children's books" where the waters run very deep indeed.

Best wishes,
--James
Hey, I have that sitting on my stairs ready to read again! I was lucky to find the 5 books published as one volume, but it's a bit of a pocket-ripper.

I rate TDIR as way better than Parry Hotter - the Philip Pullman series (The Golden Compass etc)is also very good and being serialised on BBC radio.

I know someone on this forum who liked TDIR series so much they named their son after one one of the characters! No names, but will the guilty party step forward?
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing