Twitter

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Twitter

Post by mutepointe »

I think we now know who spewed the tuna casserole at 1st lunch.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I'm on, I guess, my third attempt to "get" twitter. I don't think it's going to take this time, either. I agree with Congrats that there are people who use it reasonably well, but I also have to admit that I've yet to locate anyone whose feeds I really want to read regularly.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Coffee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Congratulations wrote:
Coffee wrote:I have a pad of paper that works quite well for that.
I'm sure that same pad of paper makes this forum obsolete, as well?

:tomato:
Nope. I was referring primarily to the "a place to quickly and easily write down anything you might find interesting and maybe a thought or two about it." bit. That kind of thing I personally like to keep private. Link exchange and discussion require a more interactive venue that a spiral notebook.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Congratulations

Coffee wrote:Link exchange and discussion require a more interactive venue that a spiral notebook.
Yes, and that is what I asserted makes twitter interesting. Sure, you can write in some journal that you found a video of an extremely effective toilet today, but then it ends there. On twitter, you post that video and you get to read your friends' reactions, and they might reply with something equally engaging. In essence, a conversation begins.

I guess what it comes down to is this: Do you have friends? Do you enjoy sharing things with those friends? Twitter allows you to do that. And it allows you to do that in a way that is internet-based (so you can share links and what-not), and that allows your friends the option of ignoring you. I wouldn't call my friends about that toilet video, but I might post it to my twitter. The main thing is it's not just another way of sharing the same information; it's a way of sharing information that you might not necessarily get around to sharing, otherwise.

PLUS all of that other stuff, like event-twittering and all. It's really a huge, sprawling morass of possibility. And, again, it represents everything that's right and good about Web 2.0.

For what it's worth.
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

Congratulations wrote:I guess what it comes down to is this: Do you have friends?
No... :cry:
Congratulations

Protean wrote:
Congratulations wrote:I guess what it comes down to is this: Do you have friends?
No... :cry:
Step 1: Make friends.
Step 2: Join Twitter.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: PROFIT.
Congratulations

Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

As time progresses, people get dumber...
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Congratulations wrote:
PLUS all of that other stuff, like event-twittering and all. It's really a huge, sprawling morass of possibility. And, again, it represents everything that's right and good about Web 2.0.

For what it's worth.
I DID actually read the links Congratulations, :) (couldnt sit thru the video though...reminds me of those pbs gurus too much) which answered a lot of questions about it for me. Thanks! :D
I guess Im trying to ascertain, as many aparently are, if twitter is a 'here-to-stay' thing, or just a steppingstone.
Like Dale, I still dont fully 'get-it', although I can plainly see many do... perhaps Ive just 'aged-out'...
Comes down to $ and cents, I suppose.. when my clients start expecting me to twitter, well, then.. the customer's always right! (Thats how I ended up on the net in the first place!)

now back to my abacus and wet clay tablets...:P
djm

Post by djm »

I'm not sure it's about "getting it". There is no onus on anyone to "get it". The question is whether or not you have a use for it. You might not have a need today, but you don't know what might come up tomorrow. Maybe a friend has a use for it who will pull you into it. The key thing is to know it exists and what it's about. Who knows? Maybe it will take weeks or months before you have that flash of genius that tells you exactly what you want Twitter for.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Gary Trudeau has been poking fun at Twitter for a few days now on Doonesbury.
One of the forums I belong to has a "Blog" area. My life is not exciting enough to warrant filling in one of these. Sure, I could drivel on, but let's not. Somebody said to me "Oh yeah, you don't blog" as if I was removed from the common herd. Suits me.

My sister-in-law phones my wife to chat every time she is driving any distance. When she gets where she's going she puts the phone down. My wife has twigged to this now, and won't answer if she's not in the mood. But that's the mindset. People who are bored by five minutes of silence. (IMO).
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I don't know why, but the name of this service simply irritates me. :boggle:
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

djm wrote:I'm not sure it's about "getting it". There is no onus on anyone to "get it". The question is whether or not you have a use for it. You might not have a need today, but you don't know what might come up tomorrow. Maybe a friend has a use for it who will pull you into it. The key thing is to know it exists and what it's about. Who knows? Maybe it will take weeks or months before you have that flash of genius that tells you exactly what you want Twitter for.

djm
I agree with this. I suppose I do "get" it, I just really have no use for it at this point, and really don't see when I ever will. But who knows...stranger things have happened :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
djm

Post by djm »

I don't MySpace or FaceBook or anything like that, and I don't Twitter, so I would have missed out on it anyway, but here is a really cool use for Twitter that shows a possibility that only a true egomaniac could have conceived of
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.