Sweetheart Professional D fife as gift for teenage flutist?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: Sweetheart Professional D fife as gift for teenage flutist?

Post by I.D.10-t »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Of course, more folks in Connecticut and the Northeast do the fife and drum thing,
That would most likely be a Bb fife played in the upper registers, not quite the same as a piccolo (which sounds fine in the first one). It is longer and lower, just optimized for the the upper two octaves. What does the piccolo sound like in its third register?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Cork

Post by Cork »

I.D.10-t wrote:...What does the piccolo sound like in its third register?
"Stars and Stripes Forever", with thanks to United States Marine Corps Band!

The piccolo plays all of the highest tones in that piece, and even gets to solo.

:-)

Edit: In this piece, the Boehm piccolo playfully chimes in early on, becomes more prominent at around the middle, does a solo, and then dances brilliantly on top, near and to the end. As a background instrument, notice how it accentuates the peak of a crescendo, and, although it's only about as long as a person's forearm, notice how it well it carries, right over an entire band, yes, the official USMC Band! Now, imagine that your ears are only a matter of inches away from that screaming little beast...

The high D flute, or fife, is the simple system cousin to the Boehm piccolo, and although it doesn't have quite the range, it's still worthy of earplugs!
Last edited by Cork on Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I should apologize for the fife jokes; I was feeling churlish yesterday. Your wish is such a noble thing, and flutelike gifts are indeed thoughtful. Regardless, I do still think of the fifes and their unique voicings as "specialty" instruments for specialized uses (that's why fifes are in things like fife & drum corps or flute bands but not much else) and for a 16 year old without fifing pals it might just be a nice novelty gift. A lovely thoughtful well-made gift to be sure, but a novelty gift just the same.

At least that's what mine was for me. I wish I'd been given a tinwhistle instead, although who knows -- maybe I wouldn't have played that, either. I was pretty wrapped up in serious silver flute and piccolo playing (Including the Stars and Stripes Forever!), etc. back then!

P.S. Just got the old piccolo out for Copland's Lincoln Portrait. Ouuuuch -- and it's nothing like third-octave Sousa! I was slightly deafened in my right ear, even playing softly, after one passage. How the heck did I do that for so many years? Note to self for next Wal-Mart trip .... Ear plugs. Heh.

P.P.S. If it had been me, I probably would have gotten pretty over the moon about a gift card to Sheet Music Direct if such a thing existed back then. Instruments are cool, but music!!!!!!! :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cork

Post by Cork »

Cathy Wilde wrote:...I do still think of the fifes and their unique voicings as "specialty" instruments for specialized uses (that's why fifes are in things like fife & drum corps or flute bands but not much else)...
Speaking of "specialty", that's why I listed "Stars and Stripes Forever" TWICE in the same thread as an example of the piccolo, as I simply couldn't offhand recall much in the way of other great examples, and otherwise perhaps the piccolo could be thought of as being something like food seasoning, salt, pepper, etc., with a pinch here, and a sprinkle there, sparingly employed.

The Fife and Drum Corps music offers a considerably better selection of tunes, with whole books full of melodies available, and I've known some players who have had a lot of fun in such playing. However, even here in New England, where such a thing has thrived, Fife and Drum Corps activity today seems to be only a shadow of what it once was, decades ago. So, there again, the word "specialty" seems appropriate.

Other than to occasionally enjoy its sheer tonal brilliance, the one thing that makes the high D flute so much fun is in its very fast response time, which gives a player an opportunity to really push their speed, especially on ornamentation. Every once in a while when I might want to "speed test" myself, I'll get out a high D flute, and if there's anything wrong with the sound, it's my fault and not the flute's fault! However, that's yet another example of how such a flute could be a "specialty" item, more than not.

Yes, the high D flute indeed could be used for ITM playing, and to great effect, too, but even there the word "specialty" seems appropriate, as perhaps too much "seasoning" could be just too much of a good thing.
Tjones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tjones »

Maybe your daughter could become the next John Doonan. http://www.asaplive.com/FARNE/ListeningPost.cfm?ccs=247&cs=739 And here's what Hammy has to say about the piccolo:" ...but when sessions get noisy, there's nothing like a piccolo to get people to sit up and take notice! I predict a comeback."

Cheers

Tjones
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

Here's a clip from YouTube on a Hammy Piccolo.
This is one I don't feel you need earplugs to listen to. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQT4K5GCopE
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
MatthewVanitas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MatthewVanitas »

Just as an update, I purchased a Sweet in "G" from a member here, came in the mail today and looks great!

Though I'm a 'whistler and not a flautist, I was able to figure out the embrochure enough to get clear basic notes, and with a somewhat rougher embrochure I can play (rather breathy) versions of all the 'whistle tunes I know. I'm pretty sure my little cousin will be thrilled, will probably drop by her place in a month or so to gift it to her. Also picked up a Hameln Pocket Clarinet (like a primitive folk chalameau) for her sister who plays classical clarinet.
Cork

Post by Cork »

Sweetheart makes a good flute. I have a small pile of them here, and I've yet to find a bad one.

Ralph Sweet and his son Walt have been making fifes and flutes for many years, and they are delightful people to work with.

BTW, I'm glad you didn't go with the high D flute.

http://www.sweetheartflute.com/