Dog Facts

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Dog Facts

Post by anniemcu »

mutepointe wrote:Dog Fact:
I will do anything for my kids.
I LOVE Bull Terriers!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

djm wrote:Actually, the whole piece is only one image.

I'm afraid I don't get the "rocks" bit. I don't know what the reference is.

djm
Could it be the sign where it says "Dogs are animals there aren't any rocks in heaven either"?

No rocks in heaven? You guys can't play ducks & drakes? I'm staying with Summerlands.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
emmline

Post by emmline »

That's very funny. I know which church supper I would go to if I lived in that town and had to pick.

The "rocks go to heaven" volley just shows the playful wit of the Catholic Church reacting to the boneheaded, humorlessness of the other.
(I have to wonder though, if that whole thing is real, or a set up.)
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

If you read the comments on the page, they reveal the signs are fake. There is even a link to a church sign generator website. Bummer.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dwest

Post by dwest »

emmline wrote:That's very funny. I know which church supper I would go to if I lived in that town and had to pick.

The "rocks go to heaven" volley just shows the playful wit of the Catholic Church reacting to the boneheaded, humorlessness of the other.
(I have to wonder though, if that whole thing is real, or a set up.)
Set up. The RCC decided sometime ago that dogs don't go to heaven. Some folks think that it's great they even discussed the possibility, others realize "So what, they still got it wrong." :wink:
djm

Post by djm »

IB wrote:Could it be the sign where it says "Dogs are animals there aren't any rocks in heaven either"?
No rocks in heaven? You guys can't play ducks & drakes? I'm staying with Summerlands.
Well, d'uh! Dja tink?

Had to look up ducks & drakes. Never heard of it before. We just call it skipping stones.

That still doesn't explain why the "rocks in heaven" comment appeared in the first place. I was asking if there was some underlying connection between dogs, rocks and heaven that would lead to the "rocks" comment being added, as I am not aware of any.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

s1m0n wrote:What's not to get?
It is interesting that Disney made The Little Mermaid the same year as All Dogs Go To Heaven.

Translation of Hans Christian Andersen's "Den lille Havfrue"
"Yes," the old lady said, "they too must die, and their lifetimes are even shorter than ours. We can live to be three hundred years old, but when we perish we turn into mere foam on the sea, and haven't even a grave down here among our dear ones. We have no immortal soul, no life hereafter. We are like the green seaweed - once cut down, it never grows again. Human beings, on the contrary, have a soul which lives forever, long after their bodies have turned to clay. It rises through thin air, up to the shining stars. Just as we rise through the water to see the lands on earth, so men rise up to beautiful places unknown, which we shall never see."
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

djm wrote: That still doesn't explain why the "rocks in heaven" comment appeared in the first place. I was asking if there was some underlying connection between dogs, rocks and heaven that would lead to the "rocks" comment being added, as I am not aware of any.
'Rocks' and 'Dogs' share a syllable count & a vowel. And to some, rocks and dogs also lack souls. I doubt there is a deeper reason than this for the "All rocks go to heaven" quip.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I'm not fond of any of the terrier landrace, but this is an awfully sweet photo.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:YAY! My backside just made a loud noise and it smells sooooooooo good that I just have to wag my tail and smile a lot.
If you've got 200 million olfactory receptors,* every f*rt is a symphony.

*vs 5 million for humans

C.S. Lewis
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

anniemcu wrote:
I LOVE Bull Terriers!
Bull Terriers make wonderful family dogs... uh, if said family is extremely active and in shape. :lol: They tend to be in Play Mode most of the time, except when sleeeping orr posing for the child's art project. :D

Here's my bestest buddy:

ImageImage
harpmaker

Post by harpmaker »

fyffer wrote:Dog fact (corollary to the 'lap dog' fact): Dogs have no idea how big they are. Evidenced by the 10 pound 5-year-old terrier who picks a fight with an 60-pound lab puppy. And wins.
More evidence: Odd breed combinations that make you wonder logistically how that EVER happened
:lol: As evidenced by my daughters pet, which has the body, face and coloration of a Rotwieler, and the legs of a Chihuahua.

Another dog fact: "I will completely ignore the full bowl of dog food set put for me, but will do every trick I know, and even learn a new one if you will just please give me the 4 tiny pieces of cat kibble I saw in the bowl next to it"
Discussing politics is like having a conversation with the ex. You know that no matter what the subject....it could be as innocent as what you had to eat for lunch....you know that they are going to somehow work your past sins into the conversation
dwest

Post by dwest »

Stupid cats they hid their food in funny boxes.
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

The photo of the kid coloring on the dog reminded me of something that happened when my son was about that age. I came home from work and was greeted by the dog (a golden retriever) at the door. The odd part was that she was mostly wet, though with a few dry patches, and there were globs of soap foam all over her. My son had made suds in the bathroom sink and then decorated the dog, using a TINY (maybe 1 1/2 inches in diameter) dinosaur-shaped sponge. The dog apparently stood there patiently and let him do it. It must have taken quite a long time to get so much water and suds onto the dog with a sponge that size. This was a dog who hated to be bathed, too. I guess it's more fun without the rinse? :lol:

(And no, I didn't leave a small child home alone with a dog. The kid's dad was "watching" him. :boggle: )
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Ya gotta love a Bull Terrier, 'specially a colored bull. :thumbsup: Skyes still reign supreme with me, but colored bulls are up there.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West