keys and rings - help!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
lili

keys and rings - help!

Post by lili »

I own a 6-keyed African Blackwood Ruddall, which I hadn't played for quite a while, because of an injury. Anyway yesterday I finally was ready to pick it up again, but discovered that the C-key wouldn't work anymore (it is rigid and sticks up, when I press it) and that one of the silver rings on the head joint keeps falling of. Is this a repair that I could do on my own? (I have no experience with flute repair).

I really would appreciate any ideas on this... :(
Denny
antispam: No

Re: keys and rings - help!

Post by Denny »

this is a dried out flute

humidify, gently
lili

Post by lili »

You are right, it looked and felt very, very dry. Thanks for this advise!
lili

Post by lili »

Unfortunately (after playing it more frequently and humidifying it very gently) stil the same problem. What can I do about the key? Is it easy to replace a spring, if necessary? Any tips or tricks? :-?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

If it's the spring, a quick temporary fix is a rubber band around the key near the vent hole.

Have you tried pushing out the pin to see if the spring is the problem? It's quite possible that the key is in the block too tightly or that it's gunked up. In the first case a little light sanding with very fine sandpaper in the keyway will work; in the second case a little cleaning.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Carey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

I see it's only been 8 days at best since you may have started humidifying. One possibility is the wood has shrunk as it dried enough to change the angle between the two posts and in a week has not returned to it's proper dimension. The ends where the rings reside would soak up humidity first especially as they are bathed in it when you play. So just because the rings are not falling off doesn't mean the body of the flute is back to normal everywhere. It takes months even years to properly dry timber for making a flute and I should think it would take quite a while for it to humidify again.

It is possible the posts have moved together and are pinching the key. Especially if the key worked well when you put it down. But corrosion in the pivot is possible too, and more likely if you've only put it down for some months. You could remove the key and clean the axle and innards of the key pivot if you are confident of doing this. Or have a local luthier do it.

Does this particular key/pivot tend to get wet when you blow out the flute? More evidence that corrosion may be at work.

I would put a bit of lube on the pivot and a rubber band on the pad end and play it for a while making a point of working the key before and after each session. This will let the moisture and lube work on the key and see how it comes along.

I have do experience with Rudall flutes, so I'm just going by general wood working and auto mechanic principals here, and defer to those with more direct experience.

Cheers,

Carey
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

Is the ring on tightly now?
What humidity level are you using?

a small drop of key oil placed where it can work it's way in
and then move the key back and forth for a bit

I like the rubber band (while playing only, do take it off when done) idea, as you can move the key back and forth while playing. What is much less boring.
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

lili wrote:Unfortunately (after playing it more frequently and humidifying it very gently) stil the same problem. What can I do about the key? Is it easy to replace a spring, if necessary? Any tips or tricks? :-?
First, make sure that the key way is clear of any build up of oil, sometimes they get gummed up, from carelessly oiling the flute, without removing the keys. The spring is not easily replaced, so try not to break it, It can be bent up a little, but keep pressure on the part of the spring thta is rivated to the key. You can alway send it back to the maker, for adjustments.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
lili

Post by lili »

Thanks to everyone for their good advice! The ring is still falling of, I guess my humidifying was not enough (not quite sure to which level, I did it, I put a little humidifier with the flute into the case...)
When I oil the flute (with almond/vitamin E oil) I cover the keys with cling wrap, but then I oil it quite carelessly and I think this could have been the cause of the key problem. I will see what I can do tonight and try a rubber band...
Denny

Post by Denny »

might want to break down and get a hydrometer

I try for 55-60% or so.

too much oil isn't gonna help anything,
especially with blackwood,
yer just gonna have to wipe it back off in a while
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

lili - I'm assuming that (being Blackwood) this is a modern copy. If so, where from, and where are you, and does it have a lined head and barrel? If your climate is considerably drier than where the flute was made, and the rings have come loose and a key is binding, you could be at considerable risk of the head or barrel splitting. If all of the above, I'd certainly consider the hygrometer to keep with the flute and some kind of humidifying device (Dampit, or similar). Ask the maker for a recommended humidity level, or go with Denny's suggested 55 to 60%.

You might be right about the key just being gunked up - I've often had to deal with overzealously oiled flutes in the past and this is a symptom. Pull the pin, remove the key, and clean the key, spring, pin and slots with acetone or something similar that will dissolve the residue. Put a spot of cork grease, vaseline or something similar on the tip of the spring and reassemble. If it still doesn't run freely, it suggests that shrinkage might yet be the issue.

Terry
lili

Post by lili »

Hi Terry,

My Rudall has a partially lined head and my flute is from John Gallagher. I am living in IL and in my apartment it is quite dry. The hygrometer says at best 40, even with the room humidifier being on most part of the day....The ring is still falling of and I am quite worried that my flute might start getting cracks (it is about 2 years old)
Thanks a lot for explaining how to take the key apart and what to do. I will try this tonight!
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

lili wrote:Hi Terry,

My Rudall has a partially lined head and my flute is from John Gallagher. I am living in IL and in my apartment it is quite dry. The hygrometer says at best 40, even with the room humidifier being on most part of the day....The ring is still falling of and I am quite worried that my flute might start getting cracks (it is about 2 years old)
Thanks a lot for explaining how to take the key apart and what to do. I will try this tonight!
Hmmm, IL is Illinois, I think? (Sorry for being an extra-terrestrial!) I guess I'd never thought of that part of the country being that dry, especially "between seasons" as we are now. I wonder what a room not humidified gets down to?

Now if it's only one ring falling off, that could have another explanation (maybe it wasn't so tight to start with), but if others are loosening that would add to my concern. And you'll soon find out whther that key is just gunked or if the wood has shrunk there too.

Now, I don't know how John does his "partially lined" heads - whether he builds in any kind of buffer - but I'd certainly contact him and ask him what he thought was an acceptable humidity range to keep the flute in. I can give you a simple home cure for the loose ring, but let's answer the big question before we go disguising the symptoms!

Terry
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Whatever else you do, bring the humidity up. Whether or not that fixes the other problems.
A good way is to put the flute in a container, if needs be a plastic bag, with a damp sponge
and a hydrometer. I really wouldn't wait. Humidity up to 55 or 60, as mentioned above.