Apostrophe plural's

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Apostrophe plural's

Post by MTGuru »

So what's up with this? I see it everywhere on the net. As in my cheeky thread title. The two dog's, the three cat's. Since when did the difference between the written plural and possessive become so commonly muddled? To my eye, the possessive force of the apostrophe is so strong, I could never mistake the two. And honestly, I see this much more commonly from UK writers (uh, writer's) than elsewhere, and not just purveyors (uh, purveyor's) of textspeak.

Is there a wave of orthographic mis-generalization - a pernicious plague of peppering particularly inappropriate apostrophes - sweeping the sceptered isles (uh, isle's) that the rest of us should know about?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Lambchop

Re: Apostrophe plural's

Post by Lambchop »

Ha! You missed the one in "purveyor's."
Cotelette d'Agneau
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Fixed it. Many thank's! :wink:

Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

A's the 'son of an Engli'sh profe's'sor, I am frankly, appalled. When did we 'stop teaching how to properly write Engli'sh? Everybody know's that 's''s are preceeded by apo'strophe's.

(Serious note: that was infuriating (and infuriatingly difficult) to type out. Also, it was funny to encounter a situation where an apostrophe was genuinely needed...)
emmline

Post by emmline »

I have been known to typo a misplaced apostrophe as if by autopilot, then see it later when I'm rereading a thread. I am, of course, always chagrined.

But I also observe that weird usage frequently in (for example) hand-lettered signs by the roadside where someone's advertising that he'll buy used "car's" and "truck's."
Clearly, not a typo.

I don't know why people do that. Something like saying "The pigeon let loose on Martha and I." The speaker has been corrected in his past for not putting "Martha and I" in contexts where it's actually correct, and--not understanding the reason--mistakenly tries too hard to be correct henceforth...incorrectly. I imagine that wrong apostrophe usage has a similar story.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

I considered bringing this up awhile ago when there was an article about someplace in England arguing over whether or not to remove the apostrophes from street names--they apparently just "confuse" people (exactly how, I'm not sure). So, St. John's Place would just be St. Johns Place. Purists were up in arms.

Susan
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

susnfx wrote:I considered bringing this up awhile ago when there was an article about someplace in England arguing over whether or not to remove the apostrophes from street names--they apparently just "confuse" people (exactly how, I'm not sure). So, St. John's Place would just be St. Johns Place. Purists were up in arms.

Susan
Or, "Purist's arms were up"..
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Apparently, according to Wikipedia, misuse is so widespread in the UK that there's a term "greengrocer's apostrophes" - or greengrocers apostrophe's :lol: - to describe it (and "greengrocer" is definitely not a common American word).

There's also a UK Apostrophe Protection Society.

I come across all sorts of mangled English on hand-lettered signs here, but not the apostrophe problem so much. As a linguist, I wonder what it is in Britain that's driving the hypercorrection.

rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

You mean like this?

http://www.theshantys.com/
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

The decline in our education system.

Mind you, I blame that for everything, but think it is true in this case.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

MTGuru wrote:"greengrocer's apostrophes"
Shouldn't that have been "greengrocers' apostrophes", especially if the condition is common to most or all greengrocers?

I don't know why but, Firefox won't let me type a quotation or apostrophe unless I follow this by pressing the Space bar, so these marks are, perforce, a deliberate act for me.

And if we were to eliminate the apostrophe altogether, what would we rename Frank's album to?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Yep, they are Greengrocers Apostrophes, indeed.
The drive for hypercorrection is the decline in education. This in turn has been fuelled by the relentless testing which the UK powers decided some years ago were necessary for some reason. A naive observer might imagine that testing would improve educational standards rather than diminish them. This not so, when SATS and School ratings take precedence over inspiring the children. The latest analysis, which has been three years in the preparation, is a definite rejection of the excessive testing which has dogged the education system in the UK recently. As far as the Parents are concerned, it's not just primary education either.
(UK Primary = US Elementary)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/200 ... ool-review
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
john_t

Post by john_t »

I have always been one for putting apostrophes in wrong places. Only recently did I work out that when it belongs to someone eg. John's apple. it is Johns own apple. At least that is how I remember it now... I am 22 and still don't know if I do apostrophes right or wrong!?!

I think I was among the first to have SATS test at really early ages, I think I did pretty well, but I don't remember learning much.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

There's a shop in my town called "What She Want's?" Yes, with the question mark too.
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

djm wrote:I don't know why but, Firefox won't let me type a quotation or apostrophe unless I follow this by pressing the Space bar, so these marks are, perforce, a deliberate act for me.
I believe that's indicative that your keyboard is set to a Euro/International mode. For kicks, try hitting the ' followed by an e and see if it tosses an accent on the e.