The Good Deed Thread.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: The Good Deed Thread.

Post by CHasR »

izzarina wrote:Here's my good deed for the day:

I gathered up all the shopping carts surrounding the shopping cart holder thing :P
you mean the corral, the shopping cart corral...they call the poor kids whose job it is to secure them 'wranglers' (true!), least in our town.
not like that's a real motivator for them...

but for an instant there, YOU were a wrangler, too....

I'm still working on my good deed for today, but Im a wee bit hesitant as its Friday the 13th...cause & effect, and all that... perhaps I'll just put some jazz on...
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

When I walked out of the Post Office today, an old man motioned me over to him and his car. The car (I believe it was an '87 Celebrity, I could be wrong but I do know that I haven't seen a dashboard or steering wheel like that in a long time) quit on him and he needed it pushed into a parking spot. Now that I got my hair cut, old people don't fear me anymore. After pushing his car for him, I asked if he needed me to take him anywhere but he said no that his son who owned a car repair shop was coming to take care of him. That explains how he kept that car going for so long.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dwest

Post by dwest »

I don't know if I'll do a good deed today or not. But if that VoorHees kid shows up I'll be ready for him. The neighborhood would be well rid of him, that blasted goal tender's mask he wears and the machete he always carries scares the kiddies.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

cowtime wrote: All the stamps that I carry on the route are mine, bought by me with my money. People are often surprised to find out that rurals are not given stamp stock, they have to buy it.
You mean urban/suburban carriers ARE given stamp stock? I think, among the thousands of pieces I've mailed from here, where we put our outgoing mail in our mailboxes, I've forgotten a stamp once and not known about the change in postage on a few letters once. The pieces were left in the box every time, no explanation. (A little piece of paper saying needs or insufficient postage would have been nice.) It's not that I think I deserve the slack, but if it's built into the system. . .
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

chas wrote:You mean urban/suburban carriers ARE given stamp stock?
I'm speaking of rural carriers who work out of a vehicle.Technically we are given the choice of the po issuing us a tiny stamp stock, which has to be counted and balanced every so often, OR we buy our own and it's all ours so we don't have to balance our cash box unless we really want to-perish the thought. Rurals are required to carry enough stamp stock to serve the route on a normal day. I carry a lot of stamps because I sell a lot of stamps. I buy them every day.

When postage goes up and some don't know it I just pay it myself rather than take the time to write hundreds of notes. After a few weeks if they still don't know, then I'll leave a note.

As for your carrier not picking up a letter you forgot to stamp etc. - that's your carrier.
I don't do that to my people.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

My brother is a walk-around mailman. He carries stamps, he would add the extra postage, he does all kinds of good deeds on his route, he even repaired some old lady's stairs that were dangerous. There are lots of things that good mailpeople are doing on their routes that we don't know.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I made a chainmail shirt (at no charge) for a friend of mine deployed to Afghanistan. Posting it to her home address.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

OK, I pushed two baskets into the cart corral.
Cotelette d'Agneau
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I have refrained from playing my Generation high G for months.

More seriously, here's one that was done to me, rather than by me: Many years ago, when I was a poor college student in Portland, OR, I was on the way home from Fred Meyer with a bag of groceries. It was a long walk, and as I waited to cross a busy street, one of my bags burst open, spilling groceries all over the sidewalk. I stood there, not knowing what to do--too poor to leave the stuff there, but having no way to carry it home--when who should happen along but an elderly homeless man pushing a shopping cart. Seeing my perdicament, he smiled a toothless grin, and with a few kind words reached into his impressive collection and pulled out two plastic bags to give me.

Althouth it hit me at the time that it was extremely kind of a man in his situation to help a reasonably well-fed college student, it did not occur to my until several days later that I should have shared my groceries with him. He never asked and it seemed not to have crossed his mind, but it dang well should have occurred to me. :tomato: Live and learn...

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

You are worse than my kid who insisted on getting change for his Big Issue. I had to explain that you don't get the change - that's the whole point
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

I didnt do a damn thing worthwhile for anybody today (including myself)
So , Im just posting to break the 39-39 tie between the good & evil deeds threads. :)
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

peeplj wrote:I would like to take the chance to thank someone else, who acted to improve our lives.

Several years ago, we went through a period where things got tight enough to start getting pretty scary.

One day we found an envelope taped to our front door, containing several hundred dollars. It helped see us through.

A few years later, we found out who had helped us. When we can, we pay it forward. I don't think we've ever come out any worse off for having done so.

You can make a difference in someone's life.

--James
We had an experience like this in 1979. I was going to nursing school and my wife was working nights and minding our two-year-old son during the day, with help from a friend. Her salary didn't come close to paying the bills and, as anyone who has been to nursing school knows it is nearly impossible to have a job and do nursing school at the same time. At a certain point we were so broke we were down to the bare neccesities in terms of food. So one day the door bell rang and we went down to see who it was. What we found was three shopping bags filled to the top with essentials and some goodies that we hadn't had for a while. Like James, we found out eventually who our benefactors were. I can still feel that warm rush of giddiness we experienced while unpacking those bags.
Mike
djm

Post by djm »

I've never done good things
I've never done bad things
I never did anything out of the blue (woh-o-oh)
- Major Tom

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dwest

Post by dwest »

djm wrote:I've never done good things
I've never done bad things
I never did anything out of the blue (woh-o-oh)
- Major Tom

djm
You could have at least posted this to the other thread about deeds too.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I helped a good friend of mine (a tele-solicitor) find a new job.