The Good Deed Thread.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: The Good Deed Thread.

Post by anniemcu »

I didn't go spread my yucky germs among the friends and neighbors. (cough, hack, snoooooort, sniffle, whine)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Standing at the bus stop I removed some postings that reduced visibility, and picked up the trash and threw it away before the bus came. The trash was 5 feet away, and it wasn't like I was doing anything else. Probably putting some metro transit employee out of a job.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I try to not waste paper. When I go through a fast-food drive thru and only purchase 1 item, I tell them, I don't need a bag, I just need the 1 item. 90% of the time, this goes well. 10% of the time, I'm told that they have to give me a bag.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Pammy

Post by Pammy »

I saw a little old lady, struggling to carry her shopping, on a corner so I stopped to ask her if she would like a lift home. She said yes so I stopped, got out of the car, picked up her shopping and put it in the car, helped her in and put her seat belt on then I got back in. She lived literally just around that corner!!!!!!
chas

Post by chas »

I've spent a few days cutting up (with considerable help) and removing a tree that fell from my yard into those of two neighbors. Believe it or not, if a healthy tree falls, the "owner" of the tree isn't legally responsible for any damage it does, nor for cleanup. I've probably only got one or two more 2-hour jaunts out there to move the rest of the trunk into my yard.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My local supermarket now has an invidious scheme where they give you a charity token at the cashier's station. Near the exit there is a big perspex box divided in three, with three bins where you can post your tokens. They vary the charities from week to week, but one always does well in terms of tokens and one does poorly.

I always post my token in the one that's doing worst. Not sure that is anything to sing about. Something feels wrong about the whole thing anyway. :really:

Actually my good deed is that I take a friend's dog for a walk. It's part pointer and needs more exercise than she can give it. It's the son's dog really, but he ignores it. I need more exercise too, so it suits us both.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

djm wrote:Hagrid? :-?

djm
I'll PM you the link 'cos its a bit too risqué....
but the relevant gist of it is that those who own a firearm are more likely to listen to jazz,...among other things
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

An old woman who walks about, in a fashion, with a Zimmer frame got into the lift(elevator) on the 13th floor today. I was coming down from the 17th floor.

" Now then Irene, how's the crack"..sez I.

"Ah, not bad considering"..sez She.

" Did ye see he match last night?"..sez she to me.

"Wha..the English one?"..sez I.

"Yes..that one" sez she...Them foreign bustards hammered us..."

"Ah well that's how it goes ".sez I.

" Where are you from then?"..she asks

"Scotland"..sez I.

"Ahh..somebody told me your were Irish"..sez She

"No ..not at all " sez I.

"I knew it", sez she " You're to much of a gentleman to get involved with that crowd"

The lift lands on the ground floor and me and temptation are on first names so I just had to say...

"The Irish had a good win last night"

"Bustards..every one of them"..sez she.

I consider that a good deed.

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dubhlinn wrote: I consider that a good deed.
Yes, you would.

;)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

I drove over a cat......just to make sure it was really dead.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Well since I posted an evil deed that was work related, I'll do the same in the good deed thread-

All the stamps that I carry on the route are mine, bought by me with my money. People are often surprised to find out that rurals are not given stamp stock, they have to buy it.
Everyday I end up with a few letters that folks forgot to stamp and didn't leave any money to pay for one.
Nine times out of ten I put the stamp on and don't make them pay me back. Or sometimes they are short a bit on the postage on a package. I just pay the difference. I always donate a forgotten stamp or extra postage if the mailer is one of my elderly customers.
Today was no different. I think I stamped three today for my folks.

And, today a guy near the end of the route met me at his box, I waited for him to go to his car, dig out a money order he'd purchased somewhere, told him how to fill it out- which he labored over mightily, address the thing, then reminded him to seal the envelope, and got it out in today's dispatch. It took every bit of ten minutes for this but it saved him a trip into town.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

cowtime wrote:...

And, today a guy near the end of the route met me at his box, I waited for him to go to his car, dig out a money order he'd purchased somewhere, told him how to fill it out- which he labored over mightily, address the thing, then reminded him to seal the envelope, and got it out in today's dispatch. It took every bit of ten minutes for this but it saved him a trip into town.
Bless you! I have been 'that man'. :D

And, luckily, we have always had some really nice carriers on our route.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I used Kiva to lend $25 to a woman in Peru so she can learn carpentry and join her husband's business.
ancientfifer

Post by ancientfifer »

Just got an e-mail that yet another friend was "downsized" at 1:00 pm yesterday, walking back into the office after his lunch break, greeted by a security guard, a sloppily packed cardboard box and a polite little letter, after 25 years with the company he got a 2 minute farewell. Gonna go pay him a visit today. I've got time, in the midst of the third downsizing in my career myself, misery loves company, and it takes a village to get back on yer feet. I think there's a good country western Top 40 hit song in there somewhere...... :)
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Here's my good deed for the day:

I gathered up all the shopping carts surrounding the shopping cart holder thing (because even though the thing was empty, apparently the half inch of snow on the ground was enough to prevent EVERY person who went shopping that day from actually putting the stupid things into the cart holder), and put them all in. Yes...this is a pet peeve of mine. But it was still nice of me to do it.

:P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.