Most bugle-like whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
springrobin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play flute, whistle and harp and have been a member on this board for many years. I have tended to be a lurker recently and just posted a response for the first time in quite awhile.

Most bugle-like whistle

Post by springrobin »

So our Scout troop is (and has been) without a bugler. A bugler isn't essential to the Scout program but we have some young guys now who might be interested in the position except that none of them play a brass instrument. Most calls would be very easy on a whistle though. The tune most likely to be played would be Taps, of course but I could see Reveille and other tunes entering the program. So is there any whistle that comes to mind as being more like a bugle than others?
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Most bugle-like whistle

Post by jiminos »

uhm... a train whistle? that would certainly wake up the troops! :boggle: :shock:

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Please don't take this wrong... I was a troop bugler myself (MANY years ago), my son was until he recently made Eagle and turned into an adult leader, and I am currently training a replacement (I am a Bugling merit badge counselor). ANYway, I would NOT recommend the whistle route... Bugle calls really need to be done on a bugle (or trumpet) - a whistle would not promote the "reverence" (for lack of a better word) that is associated with most bugle calls. This is especially true for Taps (yes, it is capitalized on purpose). In fact, I don't think I have ever heard Taps on anything other than a horn of some sort. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm a member of Buglers Across America as well and a semi-pro trumpet player as well.

So, what should you do? 1 - Find a trumpet player, even if it's an adult - I often shared the duty with my son over the last 6+ years; 2 - use a recording; 3 - live without a bugler.

BTW, have you tried playing reveille on a whistle? I wouldn't think that would be too easy anyway...

Pat

P.S. Please feel free to send me a PM if you want to chat about it...
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Image??
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

Methinks a nice GHB could do the trick... Least ways, it'd cover Taps and Reveille. 'course, if you can't find someone who plays trumpet, where are you gonna find someone who plays pipes?! :)

Edit: (For a serious reply.)

When I was in scouts, we never had a bugler. We made do just fine. We had other ways to turn in for the evening/rouse the heavy sleepers in the morning... oh yes, we had our ways. I have fond memories of standing outside tents shouting "GOOD MORNING, GOOD MORNING, THE LITTLE BIRD SAID" etc.
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

bugles are pretty cheap and all the kid would need to learn is basic embouchure to go between octaves. having played brass for years, playing taps and reveille on a bugle might end up being easier to learn on a bugle rather than on a whistle.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Make all the kids download bugle calls onto their iPods, then have them play them at the appropriate times.

That may even satisfy the Ignore the World with Earbuds merit badge.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

The series of overblowing harmonics on the bugle is quite different than a whistle.
Whistles can have issues outdoors when there is a good wind.

Besides, it just wouldn't sound right.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Maybe this would work?...
http://www.kazoos.com/store/graphics/00 ... rumpet.jpg

But probably this is best(?)
http://www.greatmusicproductsonline.com ... aphoon.jpg

A little morning Jazz by a Bennie Goodman "wannabe"?
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com