Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
devondancer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Devondancer update

Post by devondancer »

And we, of course, are Devon pirates, not that dodgy Cornish type (although my ancestors were the dodgy Cornish type, but we'll keep that quiet!)

No luck with the boat yet, but we have started building an ark in the back garden. May change from the devondancers to Mr and Mrs Noah, or the ark may become the Fram. Who knows, with our weather?!!

It is fun being middle-aged and boring - a typical couple, that's us!
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

If it carries on raining like this I think Cornwall will probably float away from Devon once and for all.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Wait for us!!
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Lesley collapsed in great pain late yesterday evening and has been in surgery most of the night. I have been there all night. She is now in the recovery ward and I have come home for her things. I am going back straight away and will update you when I can.
Roland
Cork

Post by Cork »

I'm sorry to hear the news. Things were looking so good, and now this.

About the only good news could be that Lesley is now in a recovery ward, and not in an emergency room.

I'll be looking for an update, please!
gregdidge

Post by gregdidge »

Roland, I'm so sorry. :cry: Laura's and my prayers are with you both. Keep us updated when you have a chance.
Greg and Laura
It is important not to mistake the edge of a rut for the horizon!

Greg
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

You two rarely leave my thought and prayers.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Just a quick hello from me. I'm sorry you are both having such a rough ride and hope that this latest setback will be a brief one. Get well soon, Lesley. :)
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
tansy

Post by tansy »

wishing a speedy recovery, eagerly await good news!
Tansy
shy the blond water
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I hope she recovers quickly and completely.

Ya'll have sure had a rough time.

She (and you) are in my thoughts.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Lesley came through the surgery and is in ICU. She is still unconscious and heavily sedated because of her problems with analgesia. They hope to keep her asleep so that she does not suffer too much pain. The shunt in her neck had blocked again which causes her excruciating pain and needs immediate and complicated surgery, which she has had. Again we were in the right place at the right time. Home is not far from the hospital where she had the original surgery and her own consultant has again operated. I am home for a while she will not be allowed to wake but will go back as soon as she might. They will call me if there is any change.

Each time is harder. You would think it would be easier, I would be used to it, but I find more and more to love in Lesley every time she comes home, and it gets worse and worse. She is so brave, so strong, so positive, so funny. She writes beautiful things, funny things, is so clever. She never complains, and makes a joke of her problems - which are many, at times. She knows she is not likely to dance again and has broken her heart, but privately. I only found out again the other day, when I did a dreadful thing to her.

We had been invited to a dancing friend's 70th birthday party. Lesley had refused as she couldn't guarantee she would be well and didn't want to be a nuisance. The friend had contacted me and asked me to take Lesley, as a surprise, just for the tea. So I did. And we were early. And they were dancing. Lesley was white and shaking, but went in, as we had been seen, but she couldn't do it. A friend rescued her and got her to the kitchen, where she just sobbed. I felt so bad, but she ddn't blame me, knew it was meant to be a nice surprise. She is so wonderful. And now she is lying there again, unconscious and so ill. She has not deserved this.

Sorry to run on. I will update you .

Roland
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Dang! I've been making a point of checking in to this thread daily to check on Lesley and Ro, and it was so nice to smile with you for awhile there. I'm so sorry to read of another setback.

Roland, the love that you show to Lesley, and she to you, is inspiring. That love has kept her alive through so much. May it continue to sustain you both.

Sending you warm thoughts from a cold place (it's -19F here this morning, or -28C for those who use more sensible units than we in the U.S.A.)

Sarah
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
Cork

Post by Cork »

Honestly, Ro, taking Lesley to a birthday party or to any social event was, and is, a good idea, and had I been you I would have done the same thing. Unfortunately, things didn't work out as planned, but that's not anybody's fault, and certainly not your fault.

So, don't be so hard on yourself, please. I think you did well. Indeed, I think you are doing well, exemplary!

BTW, perhaps Lesley could think of walking as a form of dancing, and to take it from there. As the French say, little by little a bird builds its nest.

:-)
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Roland, don't beat yourself up about the surprise. It could have been great, but the dice rolled the other way. It was a nice thought on yours, and the friend's part. Lesley just wasn't up to it.

I'm sending prayers, strength, courage, patience, hope and love your way, from my whole family.

Hugs,
Sarah
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Thank you all. Lesley has improved slightly overnight. She is still unconscious but seems to be in less pain and is fighting everything - the ventilator, the sedation , her bedclothes . . They will let her wake this morning as it is more strain while she fights so, but that is Lesley. I will be there when she wakes.
I hope to have more good news for you later.
Roland