Plant and Krauss project?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
ketida
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Plant and Krauss project?

Post by ketida »

When I first heard that Alison Krauss (bluegrass) was working on a CD with Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin) I thought...Oh, my goodness! What in the world??

Mind you, I was a Led Zeppelin fan, back in the day, when I was a teen into heavy metal.
Afterwards, I got into bluegrass, playing, and even organizing festivals. But I never, ever thought the twain would meet!

Skipping forward.... tonight when Krauss and Plant performed, and then won, album of the year at the Grammys, it was the first time I heard any of their work together. And I have to say, I was hugely not impressed.

Am I missing something? Could be, given that I've not (and won't) buy their CD. But, if anyone has, please enlighten me, if you can.
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
bigskybri

Re: Plant and Krauss project?

Post by bigskybri »

I saw it at the local thrift store a month ago and passed on it. Seemed like a strange combo, one which I didn't want to risk the $2, especially since someone was dumping it so quickly.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

You can listen to the album here:

http://www.robertplantalisonkrauss.com/site.php

Best wishes,
Jerry
Denny

Post by Denny »

I'm bettin' she's havin' fun :D
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

OK, listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9TmJBBKYmU

Best wishes,
Jerry
djm

Post by djm »

There have been quite a few personal videos from their concerts together on YT. Can't say I'm impressed with any of it, but that's just my personal tastes.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

ketida wrote:When I first heard that Alison Krauss (bluegrass) was working on a CD with Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin) I thought...Oh, my goodness! What in the world??

Mind you, I was a Led Zeppelin fan, back in the day, when I was a teen into heavy metal.
Afterwards, I got into bluegrass, playing, and even organizing festivals. But I never, ever thought the twain would meet!
He's not the first Led Zeppelin alumni to be hanging out with female bluegrass artists,
though Uncle Earl is more an Oldtime band.

Check out the guy on the piano.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I own the CD, and I think it's OK.

I have a lot of respect for old rockers who go on doing new work when they could make a lot more money playing oldies. Robert Plant has gone and made music with moroccan musicians and with Alison Krauss; I gather the latter project is why he passed on reuniting Zep for one last kick at the cash, despite the success of the recent concert for Ahmet Ertegun.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

I respect them both for having the courage and creativity to branch out. I disrespect the music industry for..... well, just about everything. To me, it wasn't a particularly noteworthy collaboration, but certainly not the worst stuff to win Grammies.

Two recent ones that have excited me are Willie Nelson's collaborations with Wynton Marsalis and Asleep at the Wheel. I think they're both great! :party:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Actually, what it sounds like most is a T-Bone Burnett project rather than a project attributable to either of the names.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
ketida

Post by ketida »

I'd have to say I agree with you on that, S1m0n. More T-Bone than either Plant or Krauss. Maybe that's what left me kinda...bleh.
There's some pretty harmonies, for sure, and kudos to them for trying something new.
Just not my cup o' tea.
Every time I turn around, I wonder where I've been.
Time to stop turning round, I guess.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

ketida wrote:I'd have to say I agree with you on that, S1m0n. More T-Bone than either Plant or Krauss. Maybe that's what left me kinda...bleh.
There's some pretty harmonies, for sure, and kudos to them for trying something new.
Just not my cup o' tea.
I would tend to concur. I like most of the individual tracks, but as an album, it sort of left me with an uncomfortable feeling, like the tracks are arranged in the wrong order or something. I think I would call it "disjointed". :boggle:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I've got it - Long Journey that's already been posted above and this one-
Rich Woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2zdJ7UBP3U

are the only two that I think are above average.
My problem is that some are way too country for me.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
KNQuail

Post by KNQuail »

I've heard a few cuts from the album. Now, I'm a huge Alison Krauss fan, and I'll sing along with most Led Zeppelin tunes that come on whilst listening to the classic rock station, but I'm not totally in love with this pairing. I find their stuff to be rather underwhelming compared to the amazing works both artists have done separately.