Tom Ganley Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blackbeer »

OK gang anyone heard of this guy and does he make a good flute. I found one in Italy and I am woundering if I should buy it.

Tom
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

People don't tend to think very highly of them. I have heard only second hand information, but it seems to be an "entry level" Irish flute.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Worst.... flutes.... ever....

Okay, MAYBE the Pakistani flutes are worse, but barely.

I was in a workshop with Kevin Crawford and one of the students asked him about her Ganley flute. He told her, "Well, at least you've got a nice piece of wood for the fire"... or something to that effect.

Chris
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Thats what I like about you Chris. You are so reserved. :grin: Well I just had to ask. The one I found was only 250 dollars and as I am such a cheepskate I started druling right away. I am having a great time trying to find a cheep magic flute though. Just skipping around the world on my confusser while I blow into this lousy bamboo thingy and wait for my Almount to get here. I guess the Ganley aint the one. (as I slowley put my credit card back in my wallet)

Tom
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

On 2003-01-10 12:37, Blackbeer wrote:
Thats what I like about you Chris. You are so reserved. :grin:
Yeah, well, I wouldn't want to offend any crappy, rip-off merchant "instrument makers" or anything like that :roll:

Seriously, for that kind of money, why not consider a Seery or a Dixon? Or, if you're willing to wait a little while, you could use the money on hand to place a deposit on a flute from Hammy Hamilton
, and then save up over the next six months so you could pay him the total when it's done.

Best,
Chris
Harry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Harry »

Agreed. One word comes to mind when I muse on the Ganley wooden wallet burner..... kindling.

Regards, Harry.
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

I hear you Chris and Harry. Speaking of Dixon, what about his wooden flutes. I don`t see much mention of them here. I have been talking to him via email and he didn`t evan recoment them to me. They sure seem resanably priced.

Tom
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Are you using the address on his
website? I wrote to him but
he didn't answer. What am I doing
wrong?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

It's too bad nobody on this board is willing to state their true feelings about these Ganley flutes. :wink:

Why does everyone advise burning bad flutes? I've been told they make lovely lamps...
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Tom - I'm still waiting on my flute...I'll give you my impressions of the Dixon polymer when I get mine in. I'm just so darned impatient --- I could never survive the wait for an Olwell or McGee.

Eric
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Ya Jim I did. He got back to me in just a couple of hours. I probably sounded so pathetic to him that he felt obligated to set me straight.
Looking forward to hearing about it Jayhawk. I`m like you as far as waiting. But I am getting better at it. I haven`t bought a Pakistanie lamp yet. :grin:

Tom
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Another flute you might consider is a Lehart flute out of France. I've heard they are resonably priced and very nice flutes.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Indeed! LeHart's are excellent - and almost unbeatable bang for the buck. Our own Rob Forkner of Metloef bodhrans might like to tell you a bit about his. Also, do a search for LeHart in this forum and you'll find lots of good stuff.
Best,
Chris
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Oh my God! That is exactily what I am looking for. I didn`t read all the Lehart posts but enough to know. I wounder if David Migoya has one or nose of one for sale. Oh man. What to do. I don`t even know how to go about ordering a flute from a maker. This is going to be great. OK here I go diving head first into the flute world. Thanks for the advice.

Tom
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Lehart was actually supposed to be here in Seattle for the Flute Symposium this year but It looked like it was cancelled. :sad:

Get in touch with him because he still may be droping by. He is also fairly easy to contact by phone. I talked to him a couple months ago.

- Craig