Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Devondancer update

Post by Jerry Freeman »

devondancer wrote:I am struggling with pride, here, you see.
Dear God, Lesley!

You've beaten the most impossible odds, not once, but again and again. You may rest on your laurels.

Best wishes,
Jerry
lalit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lalit »

I agree with Jerry. And I promise not to talk about oils again in this thread. :D

Lesley, sometime when you are up to it, I would love to hear about your backyard birds (I think you or Ro mentioned them in a previous post). I'm more of a casual observer than a birdwatcher, but I always enjoy the birds that travel through with the changing seasons.
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

Ro is better today! I think he was completely worn out, after all he has been through. I definitely had the easy bit, and would not have chosen to change places with him. We will have "joint effort" meals today - I will instruct (what fun) and Ro will carry things and lift pans! And remember, when people tell you to choose lovely heavy pans that will last a lifetime, you need to be able to pick them up on your feeble days! They are ABSOLUTELY NO USE in the cupboard! I think we will be out choosing a cheap light set, for emergencies! And an electric kettle, ditto! Ours is cast iron and goes on the hob, and is currently beyond me!

Jerry, I know pride is one of my worst failings. I hate having to admit I can't do something, and to ask for help. The only reason I now do it is because I will not do anything to worry Ro further. I am not a very nice person!

Lots of birds in our garden over the last couple of days, as we have a strong east wind blowing them in. Siskins and bramblings are both winter visitors, and a great spotted woodpecker visits the seeds regularly. We have flocks of mixed finches and mixed tits, and an opportunist sparrowhawk does twice-daily fly pasts to see who he can eat. He even sits on the bird table, which seems a bit cheeky! Also gulls, of course, being near the sea. Lots of gulls.

Thank you again, everyone, for being so wonderful to us both. You are greatly appreciated!

Lesley
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

devondancer wrote:Jerry, I know pride is one of my worst failings. I hate having to admit I can't do something, and to ask for help.
I suspect this is all part of a package; your pride may be one facet of the tremendous will and determination that we're all so grateful has kept you in the world with us. It's all good.

Best wishes,
Jerry
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Let's just call her stubborn and be done with it! She is! Won't ask for help, won't do what she's expected to when she's ill, won't give up . . . Stubborn.

I am fine today having had two days of wonderful sleep, which I needed. However, I need to be up now as Lesley looks like death warmed up today, having spent the last two days trying to look after me and run the house. She can't. She can only just walk, can't carry things, is still in pain - none of which she will admit to. Now she won't go back to bed, so we have compromised by sitting together in the sitting room keeping an eye on each other! She will get there, but it is a very slow process, and her consultant has not yet allowed her to do anything much (although she tries!)

Jerry, she will be delighted with your kind comment! I agree entirely - no one who was not as stubborn as she is could have survived! And I am delighted she is, and she did! She would not be Lesley if she gave in, and it is Lesley I love!

Thanks for your support for her!

Ro
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Lesley, it's not asking for help - it's giving someone else a chance to use their hard-earned skills to show kindness to another person! When you're on duty as a nurse would you let one of your patients say "oh, don't trouble yourself, I'll manage my own drip bag"?

And we've got a spare mini electric kettle that you guys can have; it was in our "Things to go to the charity shop/on Freecycle" pile but we'll pop it in the post instead! Perfect for a cuppa or two and it won't take up much space in the cupboard when you are back to the big heavy one. I think Martin might still have your address but if you could PM it to me when you have a moment that would help.
Denny

Post by Denny »

devondancer wrote:Let's just call her stubborn and be done with it! She is! Won't ask for help, won't do what she's expected to when she's ill, won't give up . . . Stubborn.
ah hem, that's tenacious, innit.
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Thank you, Beth! There was an electric kettle in the loft - Lesley just didn't know it was there! And she couldn't have got up there! But I have put it where she can find it, just in case.

Ro
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Denny wrote:
devondancer wrote:Let's just call her stubborn and be done with it! She is! Won't ask for help, won't do what she's expected to when she's ill, won't give up . . . Stubborn.
ah hem, that's tenacious, innit.
Why, yes! That's the proper term!

:lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
oregonden

Post by oregonden »

Putting on the kettle for each other...wonderful!
:) Dennis :)
Make It Fun!
Dunphys Hornpipe
lalit

Post by lalit »

I just love the image of Ro and Lesley sitting on the couch together, daring one another to move a muscle in defiance of the "rest" orders. They may be a middle-aged couple, but they're certainly not boring!

Lesley, thanks for the bird update. I don't know why, but I haven't seen many birds in my yard lately. The lazy cats have been spending most of their time indoors, so I don't think that's the problem (and they wear catbibs on days of high bird activity, just in case). But I figured there had to be busy birds somewhere else in the northern hemisphere.
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

We sat like bookends for a couple of days, exactly as lalit describes! I am now about again, but am keeping Lesley very quiet as she remains rather pale and wan. Tomorrow is her checkup (local hospital) so I may be able to release her after that!

Thanks, all.

Ro
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Poor Lesley is still not released from my custody! She spent the whole day in hospital today, having been admitted as soon as we arrived for her appointment because she looked so awful. After a whole day of tests they have changed her drugs slightly but could find nothing else badly wrong, so we came home late this evening. I have to take her back on Thursday to have the drug levels checked and for them to have another look at her. No risks being taken! We are also making contingency plans in case I am ill again as she cannot manage on her own yet.

When she finally escaped she was delighted. "I told you I look worse than I am", she said. I am so pleased it seems as if she was right!

Ro
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

A contingency plan never hurt anyone. You might even want to try a dry run just to see how it goes.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Cork

Post by Cork »

It's great news to hear that Lesley's condition apparently is given first rate consideration at local hospital.

She has earned it!

It's also good to hear that the check-up went well.

Meanwhile, we of otherwise boring middle age invite you to join us!

After all, a person has a right to be boring.

:-)