Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Devondancer update

Post by djm »

SteveShaw wrote:Great British Groundnut fiasco
Nope, never heard of it, but then, apparently I live in a remote colony, so what can you expect? It sounds something on the order of how engineers of the USSR completely destroyed the Aral Sea (no small feat, that).
tansy wrote:found myself at the green grocer asking for groundnut oil.
And they called you a what?

Actually, there are a lot of Valencia peanuts grown around here. It is one of the very few crops that can be used to replace tobacco. Not so remarkably, peanuts are the most heavily sprayed crop after tobacco, which is number one (fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides). Tobacco leaves enzymes in the soil that prevent most anything else from growing there for years.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

devondancer wrote:Hello! Ro has the flu, I think, and is safely in bed, so I am in charge today!! What fun! Poor Ro, though. I am being very kind to him!

Thank you so much for the lovely food ideas. They are great and I will soon not be able to fit in my clothes! Much appreciated.

I am off to argue with the kettle and make Ro some hot lemon and honey.

Thank you again.

Lesley
Turnabout!!!!! Wow.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
devondancer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

About time, some might say!

He is definitely incapacitated, so I am relearning a few nursing skills!

Lesley
lalit

Post by lalit »

Lesley, it is so good to have you back! Hopefully Ro will enjoy the turnabout -- I hope he's up and feeling well again soon!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

...and soon not be able to fit in my clothes...

Pipe-dream fuel! :D
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
lalit

Post by lalit »

anniemcu wrote:
lalit wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:I wouldn't use extra virgin oil for sautéeing as it alters chemically at relatively low temperatures.
You've got me curious now. I usually cook at relatively low temperatures, although that's not how I see it done on TV! What kind of temperatures/heat settings are we talking about here?
Me too. I don't like letting oil get very hot... of course, that's probably why I have trouble with some dishes.
It's a fine line. I use heavy cookware that delivers smooth steady heat, and I preheat it at a low temperature before adding anything to the pan. I don't fry food very often.

And, as far as extra virgin olive oil goes, I always buy the good stuff. I'm lucky that the stores in my area make that a possibility. My cooking is nothing gourmet, but tends to be Italian-influenced. Good olive oil makes the meal. I also do a lot of crock-pot cooking, where again, good flavor is important, and the olive oil works well at those lower temps.

So hopefully I won't be killing myself or others with chemically altered :devil: anytime soon.

I love butter too, by the way.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

How nice that the most serious news is that Ro has the flu.

Regarding the oil discussion, could you all move that to another thread, please? There are a lot of folks reading this thread to know about Lesley and Ro and might not want to glean through all sorts of things and maybe miss out on details about the cutest couple ever. Thanks.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

mutepointe wrote:Regarding the oil discussion, could you all move that to another thread, please?
Oh, for goodness sake! :lol:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Denny

Post by Denny »

ah, sake makes you silly!
Cork

Post by Cork »

mutepointe wrote:...Regarding the oil discussion, could you all move that to another thread, please?...
Ah, but a discussion of oils, fats, and various cooking greases are relative to a healthy heart, indeed, to a healthy life.

For instance, there are the good oils, and then there are the bad oils.

:-)
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Ro is still poorly and I am looking after him with tender loving care! Slight problem - can't cook! Or, more correctly, can cook, but can't lift saucepans, kettle, dishes etc. Hmmm. I need a slave!

I think I will order a lot of salad and cold meat from the internet grocery store - have to order it as I'm not able to drive yet!

Life is full of interesting challenges!

Lesley
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

devondancer wrote:Ro is still poorly and I am looking after him with tender loving care! Slight problem - can't cook! Or, more correctly, can cook, but can't lift saucepans, kettle, dishes etc. Hmmm. I need a slave!
I couldn't find any local slave markets, but Devon has a home cooking service, apparently:

http://www.devon.gov.uk/meals
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Wow, Beth, I never thought of that! It is an excellent idea, as it really is a bit of a problem. I am still rather useless, and although I can make sure Ro is comfortable and alive I have difficulty with normal living stuff! I will ring them (much as I hate having to admit I can't do things!) and see what we might be able to have.

I am struggling with pride, here, you see. My common sense tells me quite definitely that I am stupid to try, but my pride hates to admit defeat. Common sense has won, however: I do not wish to end up in hospital again, which would upset and worry Ro far more, and I don't want him trying to do things yet. I hate common sense.

Thank you, Beth.

Lesley
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

devondancer wrote:Wow, Beth, I never thought of that! It is an excellent idea, as it really is a bit of a problem. I am still rather useless, and although I can make sure Ro is comfortable and alive I have difficulty with normal living stuff! I will ring them (much as I hate having to admit I can't do things!) and see what we might be able to have.

I am struggling with pride, here, you see. My common sense tells me quite definitely that I am stupid to try, but my pride hates to admit defeat. Common sense has won, however: I do not wish to end up in hospital again, which would upset and worry Ro far more, and I don't want him trying to do things yet. I hate common sense.

Thank you, Beth.

Lesley

Common sense is wonderful stuff, Lesley, and Beth has it in spades! Makes up for my lack of it in certain areas - notably checking expiry dates on food BEFORE eating it.
Cork

Post by Cork »

Lesley, it's great to see you back online!

Eat!

:-)