Songs that give you goose bumps

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Re: Songs that give you goose bumps

Post by WyoBadger »

walrii wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:...why has probably the C20th's most gifted piper spent most of his career doing that sort of thing and not just main-lining the pure drop????? (Rhetorical question!).
Make enough money to play music without having to live in a rat hole and wait tables to eat? (Rhetorical answer with gratuitous question mark.)
:lol: I do believe you might have nailed it. :lol:
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

s1m0n wrote:The Butterfly slip jig is really nice played slow. Fast its just another slip jig, but slow is lovely.
The recording to listen to here is Kevin Burke Solo Live
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

"The Sunset," Cathal McConnell's slow reel as played by Frankie Kennedy.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

William Bajzek
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

WyoBadger wrote:
Fippler wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:I was learning The Dark Island when I got the phone call that my dad passed away. That tune always evokes a little something extra in me. And they always let me start it at session.
I'll second "The Dark Island".....never forgot it after the first time I heard it.....
Hear, hear.
and here too...
Lyrics for The Dark Island...is it the isle of Lewis?

Away to the westward, I'm longing to be
Where the beauties of heaven’ unfold by the sea
Where the sweet purple heather’ blooins fragrant and free
On a hill-top, high above the Dark Island
Oh Isle of my childhood I'in dreaming of thee
As the steamer leaves Oban, and passes Tiree
Soon I'll capture the magic, that lingers for me
When I'm back, once more upon, the Dark Island
So gentle the sea breeze’ that ripples the bay
Where the stream joins the ocean, and young children play
On a strand of pure silver, I'll welcome each day
And I'll roam forever more, the Dark Island
Oh Isle of my childhood I'in dreaming of thee
True gem of the hebrides, bathed in the light
Like a midsummer dawning, that follows the night
How I long for the cry, of the seagulls in flight
As they circle high above’ the Dark Island
Oh Isle of my childhood I'm dreaming of thee
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

You see! Put "song" in the thread title - you get suggestions of ......wait for it....... songs :really: :boggle: :o , presumably by people who haven't read the OP. (Yes, I know I suggested one :D )
Haggis13 wrote:Simple topic, simple purpose: Name ONE tune that takes your breath away, gives you goose bumps, or otherwise makes you completely ecstatic. The purpose is to introduce new tunes we might have overlooked.....
BTW, I'm not criticising the songs suggested or their suggesters - as I said, good songs well sung sure can raise the goose-flesh - and there's no reason not to take the tunes of the songs and play 'em as slow airs. But that wasn't what the OP intended/was asking for, despite his thread (mis)title. The vast majority of folkies generally and I would think of folk on this Board see the word "song" and think of actual songs! Amazing!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Dark Island - thanks, I had never heard that one before. It is a lovely tune/song(/melody/musicthing ;-).

I found some ABC in Dmix that goes to a low C so its time to try transposing it for My low D. Perhaps I want to transpose up a couple of semitones?. Any experienced folk out there give me some clues? I bet the answer is a lot more complicated than that......

But the sentence starting "I found.." would have been gobbledy-gook to me before I started hanging out on this forum. So I am learning or maybe just going mad?
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

DrPhill wrote:Dark Island - thanks, I had never heard that one before. It is a lovely tune/song(/melody/musicthing ;-).

I found some ABC in Dmix that goes to a low C so its time to try transposing it for My low D. Perhaps I want to transpose up a couple of semitones?. Any experienced folk out there give me some clues? I bet the answer is a lot more complicated than that......

But the sentence starting "I found.." would have been gobbledy-gook to me before I started hanging out on this forum. So I am learning or maybe just going mad?
You can use Audacity or The Amazing Slow-Downer to transpose audio. The latter works just as implied, amazingly.
If you want to transpose the ABC/sheet music, I'm not sure if there are functions for that in the notation programs, but you could always just rewrite them yourself. That is, move each note up a given number of semitones.

I take it that your low C is the lowest note. Then you move the notes up two semitones, so that the C becomes your D. This makes the ABC fully playable (without bending the octaves) on your low D.

Here is a progression of semitones: E - F - F#/Gb - G - G#/Ab - A - A#/Bb - B - C - C#/Db - D - D#/Eb (and then repeated)
Since you raise each note as much as the others, the scale remains intact.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Thanks Rhadge,

I am planning on transposing the ABC mandraulically. ABC explorer uses ABC2ABC which claims to transpose, but I have to drive it from the command line, and the results are not always what I would want.

Dmix makes me think D minor, and I know a low D will play E minor, so I assumed an easy transposition. For a beginner like me I just follow the cycle C, -> D .....A->B->c etc and hope that writing the correct key signature will sort the sharps and flats for me. It worked (as far as my ears tell me) for 'Hector the Hero' in Dmix, but I though that might have been a fluke (it does not use many notes, but those it does use it uses beautifully) and decided to check my theory here.

The cycle of semitones works better if you know which keys have which semitones - and I dont (yet) so I would wind up with a list of pitches, then try to work out which key I had landed in. Maybe when I learn more music theory...... There is a whole world of stuff to learn, not that I am complaining. Learning is fun. But I have to prioritise and learning to play a musical instrument is the priority.

Sorry to hijack your thread Haggis13. There are too many lovely tunes for me to choose one, and because of your thread I have heard some more.
Phill

Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

The cycle of semitones works better if you know which keys have which semitones - and I dont (yet) so I would wind up with a list of pitches, then try to work out which key I had landed in. Maybe when I learn more music theory...... There is a whole world of stuff to learn, not that I am complaining. Learning is fun. But I have to prioritise and learning to play a musical instrument is the priority.
Well, if you're just going to play the melody, transposing the notation is enough. You don't need to know the key for that.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

The original text of this post added nothing to the thread. So I erased it as best I could.
Next time engage brain before keyboard.
Sorry.
Last edited by DrPhill on Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phill

Achill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Achill »

Fisherman's Lilt/Ship in Full Sail/Out on the Ocean- Matt Molloy
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

:sniffle: I know it's corny, but Carrickfergus.

This because my sister decided our Irish mum said she liked it so it was played (badly from a CD - no idea who) at the crematorium as the coffin sashayed between the curtains.

I didn't take up the whistle until years after Mum died - what a tragedy - as now I think about it she was steeped in ITM as a girl and it sometimes came out - she'd have a go on the spoons, attempt the odd step dance, sing 'Giddee Up a Jockey Horse' to the babies dandled on her knee.

So when I hear that tune it reminds me of something we never shared when she was alive. :waah:
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
tinman

Post by tinman »

I find Cape Clear very appealing and especially like this version on Clips & Snips Cape Clear

Another is Taimse 'Im Chodladh HERE
Haggis13

Post by Haggis13 »

jemtheflute wrote:No apologies sought or required! MTGuru warned you about TLB! We like what we like and that's fine, as long as we don't expect or set too much store by others' agreement/shared taste, though consensus opinions and higher "good taste" (whatever that is!) are both relevant. (Haggis might be a good case in point! :twisted:) No discouragement was intended either, by myself or others who expressed similar feelings - leastways, not on playing music!

As for linguistic murder, well, that's another matter. Songs by definition have words and are sung with a voice (unless you're Mendelssohn!). The air, melody or tune of a song without its words being sung is..... a tune, albeit a song-tune! Melodies (especially ones for dancing) that have no association with lyrics cannot sensibly be termed "songs" (unless there is some rider, as in Mendelssohn's "Songs Without Words" for piano), and well/long established normal usage in trad music circles is to call them "tunes". As songs are also important in trad music, there is a serious distinction to be maintained and understanding to be preserved/sought.
Fair enough, I see I stand corrected :-) I did intend this topic to be about songs, though, not just tunes. A fine example I stumbled across a few days ago would be Rapalje's version of Caledonia / Inis Oirr: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqa82hSWohc