i hate humble pie....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jiminos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

i hate humble pie....

Post by jiminos »

... but right is right. in another thread, i had begun to express doubts in some advice and opinion rendered by MTGuru and Peeplj with regard to Susato Whistles. I had described a problem I was having with a particular phrase. Both suggested that the problem may well not lie with the whistle. I doubted because... frankly.. because I don't like to admit things like "it might be me." I allowed my ego to get in the way of good advice.

After getting off the phone with the Susato folks and getting off work, I came home re-read what MTGuru and PeeplJ had posted... i carefully read every word that James had written in "Taming the Dreaded Susato Beast." ... and then I stopped thinking I knew how to play a whistle, and did what James said to do.... and what MTGuru said to do.... guess what.... six hours later, the notes began "popping in" just like they said.... another two hours and they were popping in cleanly and predictably, just as MTGuru, Peeplj and the folks at Susato said.... so... now i am doing the only responsible and honest thing to do....

MTGuru, Peeplj.... please accept my humblest apologies. i can be a bit of an ass at times. i was this time. i promise to listen in the future. i am sorry.

be well,

jim

ps... James, i agree with you... i don't think the Susato is a good whistle for an absolute beginner, either. Being one, i understand now.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
Mick Down Under
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: i hate humble pie....

Post by Mick Down Under »

Here is a man of Courage, Honour and Integrity. There should be more like you in the world Jim.
Just my thoughts on the subject.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Brave man, Jim.

Well said.
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I had read the ongoing discourse, but did not join in. The world would be a better place if others were to react as you have done, under similar circumstances. I salute you.

With respect.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I hope those 8 hours weren't continuous.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

I agree with the responses. Admitting you were wrong is a sign of strength, not weakness.

And anyway, you tested your beliefs to the full, and forced others to defend theirs; no mud was slung, no injuries were sustained, and we all (or at least I, not sure I can speak for the rest of C&F) found the debate educational and entertaining.

No-one lost, we all won.

I wish some political leaders could do (have done) the same ;-)
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

No harm, no foul, no worries. :)

I am actually delighted that something that I wrote helped. That makes me happy. :party:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

thank you, James.

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I see no need for apologies either. It's in the nature of taking free advice from nameless, disembodied entities on an internet board.

Also human nature. When someone offers me unsolicited criticism or advice in public, I grumble and scowl. Then go home and, in private, carefully dissect my playing for evidence of the flaw. Sometimes an offhand comment by another musician has been the key to reaching the next plateau.

It's good you don't have to send the whistle back for inspection. But FWIW, my occasional dealings directly with Susato have always been A+. Mike Kelischek and his dad George have been gracious and generous with their time, information, assistance, and even material.

Yes, the comment about whistle head variability was probably mine. I've played a half dozen or more Susato S-bore heads, and only one was what I'd call a problem. The rest differ slightly in timbre and feel to the extent that it seems worthwhile mixing and matching the heads with different pitched tone bodies to find combinations that are most pleasing.

Happy whistling ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jiminos

Post by jiminos »

thank you, MTGuru.

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Good man, Jim! The world would be a far better place if more people learned how to recognize their mistakes and apologize genuinely.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

...and the chiffboard said, "Amen." :D

When solving the problem becomes more important than being "right," good things happen. Thanks for setting a good example, all of you.

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.