Recommendations, please

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
irishmeg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by irishmeg »

Hi. I'm on the waiting list for an Overton Low D, after trying a Chieftain Low D whistle and not quite liking it enough. While I'm waiting for that whistle to come, I want to purchase an inexpensive whistle or whistles. I'm considering Susato, based on reviews here and elsewhere. But I want to make sure Susatos sound Irish. I want a nice sound, not necessarily loud. Their 3 pack is appealing b/c it'll be neat owning 3 whistles at once.

Any advice?
my email: drmegbradley@yahoo.com
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

What keys do you want most?
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

Meg, do you know David Morton, the head of the biology department at Frostburg? He is my brother-in-law. :smile:

I waited two and a half years for my O'Riordans and was very pleased to finally receive them! Good choice!

Susatos can be nice, but the ones in the c, d, e-b set are VERY loud and pure. I think the Susato VSB (very small bore) whistles are much better, and the extra expense for the separate whistles will be well worth it. Another option in that price range would be Dixon whistles.

:smile: Jessie
irishmeg

Post by irishmeg »

I would like the D to practice since I'm getting the Low D. Other than that, I'm not sure.
irishmeg

Post by irishmeg »

Jessie-

Meg, do you know David Morton, the head of the biology department at Frostburg? He is my brother-in-law.

I only know one person in the Bio department but I'll check him out. Small world!

BTW, thanks for the advice - very helpful.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: irishmeg on 2003-01-09 20:03 ]</font>
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Another good option in the same general price range as the Dixon is the O Briain "improved" Feadog (available from Shanna Quay). It's a lovely whistle, and sounds very Irish.

The Susato sounds nice, to my ear, but less like what I think of as a classic "Irish" whistle than most. It's also tricky to play in the upper octave...I still only get that high B and C to stick about half the time.

Redwolf
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yes, O'Briain Improved whistles are nice, but they are very quiet whistles. Pets would probably appreciate that, but O'Briain Improved whistles require more controlled breathing than the other ones metioned, and would get lost with other instruments.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Megan do you have any experience playing wind instruments? That will help us know if quieter whistles like the O'Briain would be of any use to you.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2003-01-09 20:48 ]</font>
irishmeg

Post by irishmeg »

I have no experience with wind instruments (except for my lil' Clarke whistle I've been using) as I am mostly a stringed instrument person. So breathing is something that I am learning. I noticed the importance of breathing while trying out the Chieftain.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Susato's, whatever their virtues,
are made of ABS plastic, which
doesn't sound Irish, particularly.
You might just get yourself
a good soprano D whistle, which is the
most useful for celtic music
and the most helpful for
preparing for the low D.
One good thing rather than
a package of less good things.