European C&F GET-TOGETHER 2003

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all make acquaintance in reality, not just online, share a few tunes and have a beer together? There will be an Irish-Trad-Music Festival in Mesquer, South Brittany, France (yes, that is Zubivka's place) from July 4th to July 6th. This would be a good opportunity to set up a first meeting for all European
chiffers. Of course you may feel free to fly in from any other continent. So who might be interested in joining us there? All musicians are welcome. Don't be shy! Let's get together and have a session at the beach!
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

BTW, here's Mesquer (uptown)

And here folks is the rap about Mesquer.

This is a small village, with half a dozen beaches, and even manier more pubs!
It is located in the Guérande peninsula, in between sea and salt marshes, with a rocky granite coast and many fine sand beaches.

The (agri)culture
The salt marshes have been classified by Unesco as World Historic Patrimony.
Being in the south tip of Brittany, the climate is particularly mild, usuallly sunny at the beginning of July. Due west, the islands of Dumet, Houat, Hoedic and Belle-Ile shade us from most storms.
The very early Kings of Low Brittany (Vannes) already had their summer castles in the area.
The last independant Queen of Brittany (known as Duchess Anne) had Guérande as her personal domain. The mediaeval walled city has been beautifully preserved.
Mesquer produces salt, oysters, mussels, fish and a few taters. We have to import wine and beer, but are proficient at this.
Foot-fishing (for various shellfish), sea-angling and surf-casting are free to the public (no permits), and a local attraction.
Another attraction is bird-spotting. The peninsula is a "damp area" with its bogs and marshes, and unevitable as a rest place for migrating birds (cranes, swans, wild geese, etc.) and the dwelling of many rare resident species.

About Mesquer's ITM Festival.
It started in 2002, from the impulse of Nantes "Beltaine" music association, which holds weekly sessions in Nantes and a monthly one in Mesquer. They wanted more homely a place than their big city. Our city council approved immediately, and all our local associations partake.
First year was a total success. Musicians ganged up from all over Brittany. Each pub hosted a non-stop daily session.
The concert held on Saturday under a huge circus tent had an audience of over 2,000, with stage music, Irish singers and tap-dancers. Also Guinness on tap in two booths right in the tent :wink:

The program, 2003
Same idea :
Free admission.
All bars open to sessioners. And no increase of the prices to the consumers...
Daily free workshops : whistle, flute, dance, bodhran.
Free entrance at the Saturday evening big concert.

What it's not.
Not a big money-making festival like Lorient's Festival Interceltique. And not intending to become such. It's before all a musical ITM get-together, open to beginners as well as pros.

Accomodation.
Scarce hotels, some B&B's. Now if you make your reservations early like this winter, it's no problem. Many campings, more like motels, with all their mobile-homes. Same thing.

Especially for those with tight budgets,please contact me (Private messages) so I can try and arrange places to crash if you provide you meat-sack. This is a first come, first served facility, of course.

For registered chiffers
The C&F get-together will have the beach-session suggested by Claudine, of course! Also planned : mussels and barbecue party at Zoob's mansion :grin: . Picnic and sightseeing. Rally-type competitions and games.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zubivka on 2003-01-09 16:58 ]</font>
GFox

Post by GFox »

Sounds (and looks) like heaven. If only I weren't a continent away!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Session in Mesquer '02 ITM Festival

Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2003-01-09 17:07, GFox wrote:
Sounds (and looks) like heaven. If only I weren't a continent away!
Don't worry (or do ?) : the flight rates to Europe will be extremely low in July... :roll:
sweetone

Post by sweetone »

Remind us again in the early summer please, looks and sounds interesting. Can't make plans for the summer yet though.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I'll be there! But, what's that guy playing, just to the left of the fiddler, that kinda looks like an octopus and sounds like a duck? Good thing we'll be near water!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Lorenzo, serious you come ? Then leave me a private message when you're ready to make reservations.

The guy squeezing an octopus under his right armpit is Pascal Martin, a local. Good on whistle too, as often goes...
gogo

Post by gogo »

Oooohhh...

I want to go!
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Will Brendon Ring be there? I chat with him once in a while on the UP forum.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Don't know about Brendon.

To make sure, why don't you lure him in ?

Makes me think I should post the invitation in the "brethren-fora"*, too...

* Sounds weird. Forums?
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Je me fie vous savez que Brendon habite en Bretagne? Il est le meilleur fabricant de roseau en france pour le uilleann pipes. Je devrai rafraîchir mes français.
janice

Post by janice »

Lorenzo, you speak real good french fer a cowboy.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Please, please, have merci, si vous plait.
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

A European C&F gettogether sounds great. However, I have <i>no</i> idea yet whether I'd be able to make it or not... :smile:

Jens