New Whistler Posting!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WheelieWhistler

Re: New Whistler Posting! - Update & Progress Report

Post by WheelieWhistler »

Greetings fellow Whistlers! I have exciting news on my whistling journey to report...

Because I am probably the world's most impatient person and could not wait to get my hands on a whistle while waiting for my Feadog to come in the mail, I went to my local music store and purchased and Oak whistle in C. They had no instruction books for whistle but they said they could order and the whistle came with a fingering chart.

Unfortunately, this will be my last post for a few days as my computer has a lingering hardware problem that the GeekSquad must fix. This also severely slashes my Whistling Budget. :swear: I can already tell I will have that Whistle Acquisition Condition I keep hearing about here.

I fallen ill this week and I'm supposed to be resting. I play my whistle laying down. I :sleep: with my whistle. I play my whistle in the loo (if you're American and don't know what that is, ask your nearest British Friend) I play my whistle over the phone for people. I want to play my whistle to annoy telemarketers! (Severely Overblowing of course! :shock:) I will play my whisle for my neghbor's cat. I want to play the show "Cats" on my whistle. (I saw it last night, in the front row, that's why! :party:) I play whisle while on my computer, headphones on, Youtube Loaded trying to match the fingering to the tune of "Concerning Hobbits." After all, besides playing the whistle, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is the best and yes you can quote me on that. I adore Peter Jackson and yes, indeed, I would play the tin whistle for him and the entire enterprise of Weta. This whistle player is a movie buff and can recite several movies of the top of her head.
Oops, before I forget, I so want to play the whistle for President Obama, so I'll need to learn Hail to the Chief.

I'm going to call around today and see how much lessons are. My computers being fixed Tuesday between 12-4, but I start back to work Monday, if I'm not busy, maybe I can check in again.

Love in the Key of C,

Chrissy
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

WheelieWhistler wrote: I play my whistle laying down...
I told you it'd catch on!
riverman

Post by riverman »

WheelieWhistler wrote: I play whisle while on my computer, headphones on, Youtube Loaded trying to match the fingering to the tune of "Concerning Hobbits." After all, besides playing the whistle, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is the best and yes you can quote me on that. I adore Peter Jackson and yes, indeed, I would play the tin whistle for him and the entire enterprise of Weta.
Bravo, WheelieWhistler!
I play Concerning Hobbits every single time I pick up a whistle, (sometimes twice or more) because I am a Tolkein nut. I've read the books at least five times and seen the movies more. The Hobbits and Elven folk would surely play whistles, except Elvin whistles would be sterling silver Copelands! Often, when playing outside along the river, I get that "Middle Earth" feeling.
The movies inspire me into more hiking and backpacking also--and guess what ALWAYS goes into the pack!

I share your whistle-craziness! Keep it up!

Greetings in the Keys of A and D,
Kelly
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
jiminos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

hoopy mike wrote:
WheelieWhistler wrote: I play my whistle laying down...
I told you it'd catch on!
scary. that's what it is... scary!

great update, Chrissy. hope to see you back on line soon. like Kelly, i agree about Tolkien. i have a set of leather bound first editions of each of the hobbit and trilogy books. i guess i had better learn "Concerning Hobbits."

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Re: New Whistler Posting!

Post by WyoBadger »

Welcome! Thank you for sharing your joy. Beginners are so much fun. :D

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

That "Concerning Hobbits" isn't a bad piece of music at all, at all, and easy to pick up on the whistle, as you say.
One of my friends plays whistle in the loo too. He would play flute, but there's a wall that gets in the way.

They say that playing music creates endorphins in the brain. To put it another way, making your own music is a real buzz!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

I don't remember if I welcomed you. Welcome! Good choice on the Feadog. Oaks aren't bad either. LotR is indeed awesome; I'm not a gigantic Peter Jackson fan, but I liked the movies. Tolkien tho is a genius storyteller and if you've only seen the movies (a lot of people seem to), you're missing out on a ton.
One of my friends plays whistle in the loo too. He would play flute, but there's a wall that gets in the way.
There are ways to deal with that.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Cut a hole in the wall? Learn to play left-handed? What?
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

Hi Christina,

I grew up in Worcester, so the Irish-Italian mix didn't surprise me. I like the Feadog too, it was my first whistles and still one of my favorites.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

WyoBadger wrote:Cut a hole in the wall? Learn to play left-handed? What?
Honestly I just wanted to see how people would respond to that :devil:
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

The woods.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

Hi, Christina!

A belated welcome to the forum! I have whistles in almost every room, so I can grab one in a hurry, and I think you will find a lot of people here do the same, as well as whistles in the car, the handbag, the pocket . . . It goes on!

I hope you continue to have as much fun with your whistle as you are at the moment!

Lesley