Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
devondancer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Devondancer update

Post by devondancer »

More good news. Lesley has walked with her stick and the physios - and a great deal of effort and giggling as her legs went on strange directions. I don't know who was laughing more, Lesley or her "minders", as they hauled her back into a straight line. She tries so hard. I could cry watching her, if I weren't so proud of her. She was proud of herself, too, and says she will walk to the loo on her own tomorrow. That is always such a big step.

She has been playing her whistle, too, very quietly, and by the scribbly bits of paper around her I think she has been writing tunes. She wants manuscript paper but is managing by drawing lines. She has tried ABC, having spent time learning it over Christmas, but she says she can't write in it because she can't "see" the pattern. I imagine it takes time to be able to do that.

Mute, Lesley says she would not have "covered up" for nurses or students if they were incompetent, but she is quite prepared to teach basics to be sure they really know it. There is a straightforward formula for the drug calculations and they had not been shown it. Now they should be safer, in the future. The worst thing was when she was in hospital a few years ago (having been stabbed by a patient!!) she was having a drain removed and the staff nurse looked at it and said she had no idea how to get it out. Lesley said that she would talk her through it, if she wanted, but would she please stop pulling it and get a stitch cutter as it was sewn in! At least she knew it was eventually done properly, but I know she despairs of some aspects of nurse education today.

We hope that tonight she will be disconnected from her last piece of equipment, the heart monitor, so she will be a bit more comfortable. Her IV drugs also finish tonight and she will be back on handfuls of tablets. A step nearer to going home - something I did not expect to see.

Lesley sends her love and hopes to be able to write soon. She really enjoys all your messages, as it can be quite dull for her, although she is good at entertaining herself.

My thanks to you all.

Ro
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Good to hear Roland. I do hope when next she checks out of the hospital, that she won't have to check in again any time soon.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Denny

Post by Denny »

so....has she named one of her tunes "Walk To The Loo" yet?

Great news!!!
Thank you!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

devondancer wrote: She has been playing her whistle, too, very quietly, and by the scribbly bits of paper around her I think she has been writing tunes. She wants manuscript paper but is managing by drawing lines. She has tried ABC, having spent time learning it over Christmas, but she says she can't write in it because she can't "see" the pattern. I imagine it takes time to be able to do that.

Mute, Lesley says she would not have "covered up" for nurses or students if they were incompetent, but she is quite prepared to teach basics to be sure they really know it. There is a straightforward formula for the drug calculations and they had not been shown it. Now they should be safer, in the future. The worst thing was when she was in hospital a few years ago (having been stabbed by a patient!!) she was having a drain removed and the staff nurse looked at it and said she had no idea how to get it out. Lesley said that she would talk her through it, if she wanted, but would she please stop pulling it and get a stitch cutter as it was sewn in! At least she knew it was eventually done properly, but I know she despairs of some aspects of nurse education today.
Good to hear lesley is more herself again!

I don't really like ABC either, though you can get a sort of idea of the pattern by not writing it on a straight line, but if you can read dots, why not use them?

I'm horrified to hear that basic medical practise isn't very well taught - I assume the formula for drug calcuation includes formulas for body weight and possibly age? Common sense tells you that a small woman needs a smaller does than say a 182 pound man.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Just waiting for the good news today.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

And yes, we have good news! Lesley walked independently to the loo this morning, before anyone knew she was up, so they couldn't forbid it! That woman. But she made it, there and back, and is well. And proud. She killed a meal tray and its contents later, though, so is keeping her standards up well.

She is no longer attached to any wires, having been released from the monitor last night, and all her IV drugs are finished. She is back on a large cocktail of tablets, but doesn't mind, as it is another step closer to going home, which may be NEXT WEEK!

Pencils are manageable, as is her whistle, although both the tunes and her writing may be difficult to interpret at times. But she knows what she is doing, and is happy. She knows we may go home soon and is working hard to get stronger and fitter, and not to get too excited! She does not want to be prevented by high blood pressure or some other disaster.

It is amazing. I have despaired of her so many times. And now we may go home again.

WEEHEE.

Ro
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

:party: :party:
Doin' the Happy Dance!!
:party: :party:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Excellent news!!! :)

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

What a lady!

Lesley you're an inspiration. :)

Much love,

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Cork

Post by Cork »

I'm glad to hear the good news, and congratulations!

:party:
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Excellent news! :thumbsup:
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Going home Sunday or Monday!!

Our friends have offered to warm the house, fill the fridge etc so I don't have to go home beforehand, which is great.

Lesley looks well and is as mobile as she was before all this. She is tolerating the tablets well and trying hard to be good. The last bit is difficult. She has been busy writing, using the laptop while I go home for lunch, and she manages quite well. She has used her music programme on her own, and typed words, so she is happy. Now she just wants to go home.

The journey will be hard for her, again, and there is a possibility I may decide to stop at a Bed and Breakfast on the way to break the journey. I will see how she is. After that it will be back to weekly checkups at our local hospital and the monthly check up here in Cambridge. I have learnt another thing to watch out for, that will give me a clue that she is not as well as she should be, so she should be fine.

We were so lucky this time, being in the right place at the right time, but I feel I should have spotted that she was ill earlier. She is good at convincing me that she is well, though, and her personality, her Lesley-ness, is so strong that I don't notice how frail she is. It is hard to give her her freedom and independence and to keep an eye on her, as it does not take much for her to overdo things. She really is frail, but SO determined. However, she is sensible and does not want to be a nuisance, so she will take things gently. As she says, she has things to do before she dies, so she has to stay alive to do them! Her words. I can only trust her, which I do, implicitly.

Thank you again for everything, for being here for me at all times of day and night - especially night, when I have panicked too often. For loving and supporting Lesley, and amusing her, and praying for her.

We both send our love.

Ro
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

Wonderful news, Ro. You two continue to be in all our thoughts and prayers. All the best to you both on your journey home!
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Roland although I don't pray because I don't believe in God, I sincerely hope the best of luck to you guys. You're actually a great inspiration to me. You seldom see, around here anyhow, two persons so dedicated to each oother, and it gets me thinking sometimes that yes it *is* possible for two people to inconditionnaly (that word was tough to write, did I get it right?) love each other for life! Say "HI" to Lesley from me please and don't forget I'm one of those who are looking for their daily updates ;-)