I read this and my blood ran cold

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I read this and my blood ran cold

Post by peeplj »

They have found weapons-grade plutonium from the Manhattan Project in a glass jar inside a safe, buried in a dump. :o

I read that and it felt like my blood literally ran cold as ice water for a second.

Dale / Mods, if anybody wants to move this to the Controversial Forum, that's fine by me...I didn't see this as controversial, just scary as hell.

Disturbing. Deeply disturbing, on multiple levels.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
hyldemoer

Re: I read this and my blood ran cold

Post by hyldemoer »

That is scary, that it happened and that there were people stupid or ignorant enough to have let it happen.

Even scarier, even in this day and age its not an isolated case.
Not too long ago I read about this scary thing that's still happening.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Concerning the subjects addressed in both James' and hyld's posts, above:

Don't they both seem ripe for a good truth-based movie plots?

For the first: What if the "wrong" people find the jar first? Who would be the protagonists? A group of slum children?
A pack of doggies? Elbert the homeless visionary artist and his estranged Lit professor wife?

For the second: The outlaws against Big Money in a story of geopolitical intrigue where "right" and "wrong" entangle the
gritty lives of real people.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

If the jar had been found, and the persons finding it didn't know immediately what they had found, it would have poisoned them. Had they opened it, they would have breathed plutonium dust and would have probably died within days.

Had someone found it who knew what they had...well, that is scary enough, but what is even more frightening is that, somewhere down the line, someone was in charge of that plutonium and decided this was the best way to dispose of it.

That needs to be looked into rather closely. I know they're probably all dead now, but I also know that, in our government, if it was ever done once it's a precedent, and somebody wearing a suit somewhere will think "Hey! That's a pretty good idea they had...." :evil:

I'm not really that concerned about the idea of someone making a working fission weapon out of it, because that's just not as easy as they make it look in the movies.

The concern is the number of people you could poison with that amount of plutonium, the amount of land you could poison with it, and the number of people out there who, if they had access to it, wouldn't hesitate to do either.

--James

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
dwest

Post by dwest »

I recently met a woman here, a physicist, who worked on the Manhattan project, she is still very much alive. I wonder if she...
djm

Post by djm »

The real baddies are the homegrown internal terrorists attuned to these indiscretions and purposely dragging garbage dumps for similar materials in hopes of building a "dirty" bomb to enforce their will on the American people (it's always Americans in the movies). One of the keen memories I have of 9/11 is that at first, everyone thought it was American terrorists who were doing the hijacking; possibly a hangover from Oklahoma city.

Those yahoos have not gone away. I wonder why they are not still in the public consciousness. Maybe they were hired by Bush and the Republicans. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
dwest

Post by dwest »

djm wrote:Those yahoos have not gone away. I wonder why they are not still in the public consciousness. Maybe they were hired by Bush and the Republicans. :wink:

djm
Still have plenty of Birchers and Posse Comitatus in Wisconsin.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

What particular brand of crazy might have taken possession of the plutonium isn't what scares me...crazies are a dime a dozen.

It's that this was left in such a way that it almost looks like it was left there with the intention that someone else would know where to look for it....

Now that is a scary thought.

--James

-------
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

It is a thin thread on which we dangle our world.

Anyway, might as well capitalize on this. I call dibs on the movie rights.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

Let's be perfectly honest here. If you want to find some (radioactive) nuclear waste, it isn't hard to do. It isn't as ideal as weapons grade plutonium by any means, but all you need to make anything considered a dirty bomb is a little bit of radioactive material and a conventional explosive. You can find maps of nuclear disposal sites, and explosives are easy enough to make or purchase.

When it comes to actual organizations who may desire to build either nuclear or dirty bombs, then they likely aren't even going to bother with this, though. Chances are they could just as easily, perhaps even more easily, acquire the desired materials on the black market.

Yeah, it's a messed up world with messed up people. Fret and obsess over this stuff and you'll find life far less enjoyable.
emmline

Post by emmline »

crookedtune wrote:It is a thin thread on which we dangle our world.

Anyway, might as well capitalize on this. I call dibs on the movie rights.
My point exactly.

(but if you use my plot ideas I'm calling halvsies.)
Denny

Post by Denny »

peeplj wrote:crazies are a dime a dozen
some of us like to think that we're worth a bit more :really:
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

emmline wrote:Concerning the subjects addressed in both James' and hyld's posts, above:

Don't they both seem ripe for a good truth-based movie plots?

For the first: What if the "wrong" people find the jar first? Who would be the protagonists? A group of slum children?
A pack of doggies? Elbert the homeless visionary artist and his estranged Lit professor wife?

For the second: The outlaws against Big Money in a story of geopolitical intrigue where "right" and "wrong" entangle the
gritty lives of real people.
I like the idea that someone finds the jar but doesn't know what it is. At the same time they are bitten by a flea and wake up the next day to find they have flea like qualities which they then have to use to fight crime. Meanwhile an evil person with crabs gets hold of the jar and ends up turning half human, half louse. They have a big battle at the end.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Was it a Peter Pan Peaut Butter jar?

Might explain why Izz has been having odd-tasting peanut butter of late.
djm

Post by djm »

FlyingC wrote:Meanwhile an evil person with crabs gets hold of the jar
Already been done, I'm afraid: Les Morpions, by Cheech & Chong.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.