There's lead in those cheap whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
johnmcochran
antispam: No

Re: There's lead in those cheap whistles

Post by johnmcochran »

It set me back all of $3.25. But you know, it sounds surprisingly good ... in a crude and very breathy kind of way. The darn thing is actually in tune.
JC
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

While googling some background on this, I came across this interesting article from the New York Times, September 26, 1891, on the Ohio gubernatorial campaign of future president William McKinley.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.h ... 94609ED7CF

It seems that the tin plating used for some promotional campaign medals was highly contaminated by lead. Leading the article to imply that McKinley was trying to poison America. Plus ça change ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

I bought one of those years back at Collonial Williamsburg. I take back what I said before; I did get rid of that one right away.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I'm a certified lead hazard risk investigator, so I know a little about lead.

Those type of lead test kits are fairly reliable and a good quick test, but are not the same as laboratory testing. The biggest problem is they show whether or not lead is present, not if the lead actually is dangerous.

There could be some concern, as you are placing the whistle in your mouth, and I presume if the body of the whistle is testing positive so would the mouthpiece area. Ingestion is the most common type of lead poisoning. There's been discussion on this before in regards to brass whistles which also contain lead (as it's in brass) and some have resolved the issue by putting clear nail polish on the mouthpiece. My personal opinion, is that I wouldn't get too concerned, especially for adults, unless you are playing this whistle many hours a day. I wouldn't let children under 6 play with it - their bodies absorb about 50% of lead they are exposed to; five times more than adults do.

Lead is rarely and minimally absorbed through the skin - just holding it should not be a problem. (It's the same concept with lead-based paint. Intact lead based paint is safe; it's just when the paint begins to fail and create dust that is then ingested and/or inhaled that is a problem).

So while I wouldn't recommend these whistles generally, especially not for kids, I don't think you have to run screaming in the other direction either.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

rebl_rn wrote:I'm a certified lead hazard risk investigator.
That's such a great line for parties. :party:
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

hoopy mike wrote:
rebl_rn wrote:I'm a certified lead hazard risk investigator.
That's such a great line for parties. :party:
:D Considering the pic on my state ID looks like one of those mug shots of a drunken celebrity, that may be very appropriate. (The picture is much, much worse than my driver's license. Totally hideous).
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

From the photo, I would say that the seam is probably lead solder.

Whistles from China could have lead paint on them also if is painted. Lead paint would be a greater hazard because it can peel off - just like the house paints back in the 60's and before.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:From the photo, I would say that the seam is probably lead solder.
I admit to having two glasses of red wine (first for four months) but the picture still looks like a cow to me.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

I suggest a good waxing with the addition of rubber pipe bits, used by pipe smokers. (I tried to post a site, but the post was deleted. Google it.) Rubber pipe bits will eliminate any mouth contact with lead in older instruments. I like them for my Brass and Copper whistles too.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
johnmcochran

Post by johnmcochran »

Just to close the loop on this message string from a while back:

I had used an over-the-counter lead test on a very cheap whistle purchased at a little colonial farm here in the D.C. area. The test came back positive for lead, twice.

I just got an email from Americana Souvenirs and Gifts, the distributor of the whistle, which is made in China ... They had sent the whistle off to a lab for testing, and the report says the lead content of the whistle is way below the standard. The standard, beginning this coming August, will be 300 parts per million ... The report says the whistle tested 77 parts per million.

I guess one lesson here is to take the results of over-the-counter lead tests cautiously.

Sorry to cause a stir, for nothing apparently.

I'll now go quietly to the back of the class.
JC
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Standards,aside, there is no safe level of lead exposure, so you're right to worry all the same. Hard to avoid the stuff, though.

Rob
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

johnmcochran wrote:Just to close the loop on this message string from a while back:
Thank you for your follow-up, John. This was an interesting and informative thread.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

I thought blood sacrifice was required for the whistle gods to grant favor(?)

A Machinists thoughts on Lead content in Tin, Brass and Aluminum...
Most sheet metals today are the product of recycled metal and contain large traces of lead. Brass and Aluminum usually have the highest amounts. If you are worried about getting sick, I doubt this will happen (unless you suck on your whistle head like a pacifier 24/7). Treat your whistle like your best girl and give her a good "waxing" now and then. No worries Mate!
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com