Penny whistle part of Lord of the Rings Theme - help!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fipplemeister

Post by fipplemeister »

Having boldly announced my penny whistle prowess to my high school band director, I have been assigned the task of putting down my clarinet to play the penny whistle part (about 8 measures)when our band performs the theme from the Lord of the Rings film. This works best on the Bflat whistle, but here are my problems:
1. My Generation Bflat whistle has never been great - too breathy and muddy separation of registers.
2. My band director wants it louder (without amplification) and an octave higher than I can play it on this Bflat whistle.

Can anyone offer advice? Any easy fix for my Generation B flat whistle? What is best option to play this piece an octave higher on an alternative whistle?

By the way, does anyone know who played this in the movie? It's easy with a microphone!
tinker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tinker »

Try a recorder :smile:

- tink
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

convince your band director to buy you a high end whistle. :wink:
Bagfed

Post by Bagfed »

(In your best Dr. Phil voice)This is not the post structural recorder experience, my friend.
tinker

Post by tinker »

On 2003-01-08 22:40, Bagfed wrote:
(In your best Dr. Phil voice)This is not the post structural recorder experience, my friend.
No no, I know, but if the piece was originally played on a recorder (it was) and the recorder has better volume (it might), than why <i>not</i> try a recorder?

Ok, ok, well, for what it's worth, I know Susato's are supposed to be pretty loud (I don't own any though), and I don't think they're that expensive. I don't think it would work to well to just play up an octave and run up to the third octave, though. Even really good whistles tend to sound bad by then. The susato would probably deal with the volume though.

If you could find a high F (I don't know that such a beast exists) you could transpose up a bit, and that key would have just about the least half-holing.

Another option would be to see if one of the various whistlemakers could make you a custom high Bb. Mack and Serpent both do excellent work, and I'm sure there are other good whistle-makers here as well who could help.

- tink
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Hmm can't say I've tried to make any high whistles yet. How about in Bass Bb that would sound better anyway... oh wait you said Good whistle makers... my Bad. I can't speak for Bill (serpiepie) he's seams to be busy a lot, but I bet for the right price :smile: Right Bill????
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

On 2003-01-08 23:04, tinker wrote:
Another option would be to see if one of the various whistlemakers could make you a custom high Bb.
The small fingers of a Hobbit might be able to negotiate the hole spacing on a super high Bb, but not the average Man. To take it up an octave, I would try a Susato F (assuming the arrangement is in the key of Bb).
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

It won't help solve the octave-higher problem, but I've got a susato Bb you could borrow if you like.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

As I was curious, I just played the LOR melody on my standard Bb whistle...Your band director really wants this thing played in the stratosphere, if he wishes you to play it one octave higher. This will be in the highest complete octave of the piano. There are a lot of high school auditorium sound systems that would make mince-meat of fundamental tones, amplified in that range. Your band director is aware of the fact that your Bb whistle sounds one octave higher than written, I hope.

In any case, be careful of microphone placement and levels on the audio mixer...

Good luck to you...
Byll
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Heh, Byll just said what I was going to say - the whistle's already playing an octave higher than the written music.

Tell the bandleader he's either going to have to accept it on the normal Bb, or do without, because a high Bb would bust everyone's eardrums.

Or play a recorder (runs from the room with hands in head-protecting position)
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

If the band leader really knows what he wants when he's asking for an octave higher than you can play on your Generation Bb and the key really is Bb, a Susato high F might be the ticket.

Their Dublin model (non-tunable, but should be a good, pure-sounding, strong, easy-to-play whistle) is $12 + $6 shipping at http://www.susato.com. Or the Kildare (tunable) is $20 + $6 shipping. If the Susato gives a clean, pure sound up there in the stratosphere, it might be quite beautiful.

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I'm willing to bet that the band director really doesn't know the whistle plays an octave above written. I just can't imagine he wants anything played that high. It would sound awful.

Redwolf
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Since we really don't know the time period involved before the performance, its hard to help. A Gen F will probably have the same problems you dislike in your Bb. A Susato is louder, although even that might not be loud enough to front an orchestra unamplified. Not to mention, if you really have to go that high, a lot of folks complain about difficulties in the upper half of a Susato's second octave. There are other F whistles from some makers like Colin Goldie and Mack Hoover). But there are factors of 1:cost or 2:order delay, that probably make such a solution impractical for a concert this school year.

I kind of agree that your band leader may not know what he's asking when he wants you to go up an octave. Maybe you should ask if you can play it for him first just to be sure before trying to find another whistle or trying a little lung busting in the second and third octaves.

If, after that, he still wants you that far up, I'd try a Susato F since that one is both loud and readily available.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2003-01-09 10:34, Redwolf wrote:
I'm willing to bet that the band director really doesn't know the whistle plays an octave above written. I just can't imagine he wants anything played that high. It would sound awful.

Redwolf
Yeah! Someone should remind him that piccolo music is also written an octave lower than it is played.

When I saw this post, I wondered why the band director didn't assign the part to a piccolo, which would have no trouble playing in B-flat. (Not that a piccolo sounds like a whistle, though. Perhaps that was the point.)

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
lkthomas

Post by lkthomas »

piccolo, well, record would so the "likely" sound, but piccolo have a really powerful sound, I am wonder if record would do...
I try to compare piccolo with whistle, piccolo sound are really special ( maybe the diameter is larger than whistle one ), so...