Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Re: Devondancer update

Post by SteveShaw »

I'm sending sunbeams from Bude, Roland. Keep yer pecker up, old chap. :)
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Best Wishes, Roland and Lesley!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

The wait for good news was worth it. If she wasn't so lovable, I'd let her know how much worry she is. I keep praying and wishing that she keeps gaining in strength and that she dreams pleasant dreams of dancing and being bored and boring at home. I also hope that both of you are making the best of being in hospitals so much. Please remember to recharge your own batteriers Ro. You'll be better for Lesley if you do.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

Thank you all. I am going to bed to do just that, mute! And when she is back on the board you have my permission to give her a piece of your mind!
Good night.
Ro
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I am stunned by this "case" and its ups and downs. Wow. Similar to what Steve said, keep yer heads up, outlooks bright and know that you have multi-continental well-wishers onboard.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

All of us here at Casa Izz are praying, crossing fingers, and whatever else we can think of for Lesley, and also for you, Ro. Thank you for keeping us updated.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cork

Post by Cork »

devondancer wrote:...And when she is back on the board you have my permission to give her a piece of your mind!...
Really none of this is any of her fault, as apparently she is a victim of most unfortunate circumstances.

Yet, somewhere between her spirit and the wonders of modern medicine she continues to pull through, great!

However, I'd suggest that hospital give her a check-up more often than once a month, at least during the nearer future, please.

Otherwise, my best wishes, to the both of you!
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

No nocturnal panics, and I am just off to see Lesley now. I will give her all your messages and she will be so pleased.
Cork, I cannot see the medical team here even letting her out of their sight, let alone for a month! And I shall make sure of it. The distance is the problem, which is why we were having the weekly checks at our own hospital in Exeter. It is a very long and awkward drive from Devon to Cambridge and just the journey puts a big strain on a frail little person. This time we were allowed to stay the night in the hospital accommodation, which is where I am still, of course. I shall have to look for local bed and breakfast places, or hotels, so we can stay a couple of days each time to relieve the strain a bit.
Thank you all for your kindness.
Roland
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Roland, I would like to send a few pounds to you guys to put towards the costs of accommodation in Cambridge. May I do so?

(Even if you say no, I might do it anyway, as Martin probably still has your mailing address!)
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

You are so kind, Beth, but we are OK, thank you. At present staying costs us nothing, as I am in the hospital bedsit and they don't charge relatives. (or patients). Our problem is purely the travelling, which is so exhausting for Lesley, and the sheer logistics of finding a place to stay. Please accept our deepest thanks, but we really are OK. I don't know how to thank you, but please do not do that. Email also sent, Beth. We are incredibly grateful, but finance is not a problem. Thank God for the NHS. Please use your kindness to keep willing Lesley to stay with us - she is still very frail.
Ro
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Yes, I can't imagine having to deal with this without the NHS. For all that people complain about it, it's still a very good system.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Ro, is (was?) your Exeter one the R. D. and E. one on Barrack Road? I know it well! Is there the prospect of returning to the checkups there eventually?
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
tansy

Post by tansy »

such good news, again, I am thankful that she is coming around again. I feel you and Lesley becoming an inspiration for the strength needed to overcome a lot of lifes dealings and challenges.
As always, y'all are in that special place I have reserved just for you.
All the best, Tansy
shy the blond water
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Again, thank you all. There are not enough words for "thank you".

Yes, Steve, the RD&E is where Lesley had all the original surgery, and she has been having weekly checkups there and the monthly one in Cambridge. I hope we can return to that routine fairly soon, as that hospital is only half an hour away! But I am thankful we were in Cambridge when she suddenly became so ill - the prospect of another emergency helicopter flight is not appealing.

I have been with Lesley most of the day. She was very anxious this morning as she desperately wanted to write something down and could not manage the pencil and paper. Ro and laptop to the rescue. She is happy now, but exhausted. She has not sat up today, and has slept most of the afternoon. She is still so terribly, frighteningly frail.

But she is still here and may sit up again tomorrow, if she can stop herself having to write things down! She was so pleased to receive all your kind messages - she is still totally overcome by your kindness, as I am.

With my deep gratitude.

Roland
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

So glad Lesley continues to slowly recover. I can't wait til she's sitting up in bed and then getting out and about.

The one nice thing about a helicopter flight would be the lack of railroad tracks to drive over. Lesley's heart surgery is way more serious than what I had. On the way home from the hospital my wife drove over the first set of railroad tracks without even slowing down. I thought my rib cage came undone. The second set of tracks met with a token slow down and an unheard lecture from me on why we needed to crawl across railroad tracks. I broke into a sweat. After that trip, I traveled on serious pain killers til the prescription ran out. We could have avoided all of this by traveling on the interstate highway but my wife doesn't like to merge. You folks have brought back too many memories.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦