Hamilton 6-Key Eb Cocus Pics!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hamilton 6-Key Eb Cocus Pics!

Post by Brazenkane »

Enjoy!

Last edited by Brazenkane on Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Hamilton 6-Key Eb Cocus Pics!

Post by Henke »

Well, wasn't that about bloody time :)
It would be nice if you could also post a few pics of the entire flute, assembled and dissasembled. The pics you posted now where only teasing.
But very nice colour. Reminds of a well matured, sherry cask
whisky :)
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

check the pix again! there is a lovely pic of the flute assembled. the pics of the sections of the flute will have to suffice for "disassembled pics."
Last edited by Brazenkane on Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Irish Marine

Post by Irish Marine »

Brazenkaine-

Thanks for taking the time to take these pics and post them. Looks like a beaut. How do you like Hammy's newer keys? It looks like he is using coiled springs now; at least, that's what I saw in one of your last pics.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

I really like them! I like the seamless look for his flutes. What I like about Hammy's flutes in particular is that he has a very specific sound in mind when he builds them. I've read reviews that point only to his flutes having volume. You can rest assure that the writer probably had an underdeveloped embouchure. There's loads of stuff to be had from his flutes, ...again they have a very distinctive tone/vibe and feel to them.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Irish Marine wrote:Brazenkaine-

Thanks for taking the time to take these pics and post them. Looks like a beaut. How do you like Hammy's newer keys? It looks like he is using coiled springs now; at least, that's what I saw in one of your last pics.
He has used that spring type for years, can't blame him, leaf springs are a real pain!
Beautiful flute!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Jon C. wrote:

He has used that spring type for years, can't blame him, leaf springs are a real pain!
Beautiful flute!

It is a really nice looking flute. Were did he get the cocus!?! It seems kinda scarce these days.

Oh Jon.... Leaf springs please... and lined keyways.

I'll find the money.

:D !!!
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Aanvil wrote:
Jon C. wrote:

Beautiful flute!

It is a really nice looking flute. Were did he get the cocus!?! It seems kinda scarce these days.

Oh Jon.... Leaf springs please... and lined keyways.

I'll find the money.

:D !!!
Don't worry, I am a traditionalist... Not that the coiled springs don't look easier... :)
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Henke

Post by Henke »

Aanvil wrote:It is a really nice looking flute. Were did he get the cocus!?! It seems kinda scarce these days.
I've been seeing and hearing about more and more new cocuswood flutes made, or at least I think I have, the last year or so. Perhaps it's really starting to come back?
When I was starting out a couple of years ago, one very rarely heard of a new cocus flute, but now they seem to be poping up more and more. Still rare no doubt but maybe not as much as a few years ago?
Someone who makes flutes might be able to comment on the availability and price of good cocus wood these days? This may be my imagination.
Cocus is so darn beautiful and vibrant, I prefer it to African Blackwood (from my very humble experience).

Being rare maybe helping it to achieve some extra high status in ones eyes, and leads one to believe it's better than it acctually is? You guessed it, that's often the case with
whisky :)
Last edited by Henke on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

We were due for a drool posting. Thanks for the pix!
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

a great piece of cocus surely makes a flute amazing! an ok piece will produce an ok instrument. i tend to think that the player hears/feels more of these wood enhanced nuances than someone sitting 6 ft away, not to mention if you mic the instrument...then all is to the wind. i was lucky, all of my cocus instruments are impeccable. naturally, this points to the experienced maker..one who is able to make his best pick of wood i.e. what shows the most promise (and even that is no guarantee until the wood becomes an instrument!).
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

y-e-e-o-w-z-a what a stunning flute! thanks for the pics. gotta love hammy, he's on top of his game making brilliant flutes and great customer service. hope you play the hell out of it.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Ahhh! So Beautiful Flute!! ))
Thanx for pics, Brazenkaine!
Happy whistling!
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

I'm very glad you enjoyed these pics!
whamlyn

Post by whamlyn »

Lovely! I've a D in cocus that Hammy made in 2003.

He was good enough to turn the block mounts but I never got around to putting on keys. Almost identical aside from that... and the pitch of course. :) I'd posted a few pics ages and ages back, they might still be up here somewhere...

Best,
Wes