Major problem with new board

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Major problem with new board

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've been booted out of C&F several times now because links don't open in a new window.
Is there a way, other than right clicking, to change that?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Ro3b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Major problem with new board

Post by Ro3b »

What browser are you using? In Firefox or a current version of IE, you can center click and open links in a new tab.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

In IE, hold down the Shift key and then click the link.

In Firefox, hold down the Ctrl key and then click the link.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

djm wrote:In IE, hold down the Shift key and then click the link.

In Firefox, hold down the Ctrl key and then click the link.

djm
Yeah, me too. I've got out of the habit of closing my "new" window, and finding I'm not on the net anymore. Now I click on the "previous window" arrow. That's IE7. I'm grateful for the knowledge that shift-click will do it, though.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Why not use the login feature that re-logs you in whenever you visit the forum. It's a checkbox on the login dialog.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I use that anyway, and I dare say Flying Cursor does too. It's the business of closing your "new" window (which is no longer an additional window) and finding that's closed your brower - that takes some getting used to. For us hidebound stick-in-the-muds, of course. :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Speaking as a fellow hidebound stick-in-the-mud, I've also closed my browser inadvertently when closing a window. I'm inclined to believe that the failure to open a link in a new window is a site issue rather than an IE7 issue. The issue seems to have begun with the forum software upgrade, for one. Secondly, other sites that I visit continue to open new windows when other links are opened. I would expect the failure to automatically open new windows to be a global phenonmenon if it was caused by some IE7 update.

I'll try to remember the shift key trick, although I've already managed to break myself of automatically closing the window.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I've had the same problem! Glad we have a solution, but I enjoy being able to keep the linked website open while going back to C&F. Now I can't do that. :cry:
Cotelette d'Agneau
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Well, it's agreed. We cannot simply click a link and have a new window.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Flyingcursor wrote:Well, it's agreed. We cannot simply click a link and have a new window.
No, not really agreed. You can simply (center-)click a link and have a new window.

The behavior is by design.
phpBB 3.0 Knowledge Base, Article 145 wrote:Compared to phpBB3, links in phpBB2 had a slightly different behaviour: When you clicked them, they opened a new window with the requested page. This was changed in phpBB3 for a couple of reasons, but one of the most important ones was the goal to achieve XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation for the whole board.
I agree it's annoying when a convenient (mis)behavior you've gotten used to is outlawed for what seems like an esoteric reason. But we're not going to start hacking the Chiffboard templates anytime soon. And I understand the rationale for imposing a consistent standard on the board software, and leaving it up to the individual user to set how one's own browser behaves if you want something different. Cheers!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Denny

Post by Denny »

MTGuru wrote:a convenient Miss Behavior you've gotten used to
gettin' on well with that intern, eh!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Lambchop wrote:I've had the same problem! Glad we have a solution, but I enjoy being able to keep the linked website open while going back to C&F. Now I can't do that. :cry:
What? Yes, you can. Middle clicking, or Control-clicking,
will open a new window or tab, and then you can keep
it open while going back to the C&F tab or window.
Flyingcursor

Post by Flyingcursor »

MTGuru wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:Well, it's agreed. We cannot simply click a link and have a new window.
No, not really agreed. You can simply (center-)click a link and have a new window.
But if I have to do anything besides just click, not holding down any other keys, just clicking then it's not a simple click. It's a compound click. So we cannot simply click a link and get a new window. What is "center" click? Is that some kind of Mac talk?

The behavior is by design.
phpBB 3.0 Knowledge Base, Article 145 wrote:Compared to phpBB3, links in phpBB2 had a slightly different behaviour: When you clicked them, they opened a new window with the requested page. This was changed in phpBB3 for a couple of reasons, but one of the most important ones was the goal to achieve XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation for the whole board.
I agree it's annoying when a convenient (mis)behavior you've gotten used to is outlawed for what seems like an esoteric reason. But we're not going to start hacking the Chiffboard templates anytime soon. And I understand the rationale for imposing a consistent standard on the board software, and leaving it up to the individual user to set how one's own browser behaves if you want something different. Cheers![/quote]

I agree with the the desire to comply to a standard, heaven knows I have to deal with that every day. I wouldn't call previous behavior misbehavior if it was designed that way even if it were not in strict compliance.

In any case, it's obvious I need to learn new habits.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Flyingcursor wrote:What is "center" click? Is that some kind of Mac talk?
Quite the opposite -- Mac mice tend to only have one button.
Mice for PCs have for years come with at least two buttons.
So, in the PC world, we have "left click" and "right click". What
do you suppose they call it when they added a button in the
center? Brace yourself -- they called it "middle click" (I don't
know where anyone got "center click". That's apostasy.)

At some point, scroll wheels were added in lieu of a middle
button, but you can usually still click them by pressing them
straight down without turning the wheel. Or if you have a
mouse with only two buttons and no scroll wheel, sometimes
you can click both buttons at the same time to get the
middle-click behavior.

Three-button mouse. If you click a link with the button in
the middle, you open a new window or tab.

Two-button Mouse with Scroll Wheel. If you click a link
using the scroll wheel, you open a new window or tab.

Old-school 2-button mouse. Might be time for a trip to
Best Buy. Seriously.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

One of a zillion thoughtful features in Opera is that closing the last open window does not close the browser. Not only that, but if you do close a window by mistake, you can immediately reopen the most recent window with a keystroke combination, or see a list of closed windows in the "trashcan".